Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unappreciative people question >

Unappreciative people question

Unappreciative people question

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM

No one in my family appreiciates quilts so I dont give them out anymore.
Only two kinda like quilts but they do not take care of them.
I made a jewel box quilt for my oldest dauther. She left it in her dauthers car and it ended up at her house permently. Since then my oldest has told me about a woman she met who is famous for art quilts and wants me to meet her. She is impressed by her work. I am not an art quilter and will never be that good. It has hurt my feelings and I havnt been interested in quilting since.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I made a jewel box quilt for my oldest dauther. She left it in her dauthers car and it ended up at her house permently. Since then my oldest has told me about a woman she met who is famous for art quilts and wants me to meet her. She is impressed by her work. I am not an art quilter and will never be that good. It has hurt my feelings and I havnt been interested in quilting since.
Rose Marie---There ae just so many organizations who would love and treasure your quilts. (Project Linus for one) Don't give up! And, by the way, you can make some for your own home. No one but a quilter truly appreciates the time and effort that goes into making a quilt. Please don't give up!

I for one wouldn't give a quilt to anyone who I knew wouldn't appreciate it. Buy them a box of candy......lol
Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Oh no Rose

Don't give up on sewing & quilting & everything else that goes with it. There is going to be someone who will appreciate all your hard work & love that goes in to making these magnificent works of art.
What about making quilts for your local hospital. Our group here in the UK make for our local hospital for the neo-natal department & also for stillborn babies.
The feed back we have received has been so inspiring - some of the parents take the quilts home this we have been told helps with the healing process when they have lost their baby, others are wrapped in the quilts.
As Joan mentioned Project Linus are always needing assistance too.

Don't let it eat you up inside with comments made by others - you know your worth more - so go on pop off into your sewing room & run up a quilt for us all to see. :wink:

Tisha x :P
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 AM

Rose Marie I PM'ed you so we don't hijack this thread.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

i don't think quilters should take this so personal. its not a personal thing its just a matter of taste.

some people like quilts and others don't - it has no reflecting on how they feel about you.

just like some quilters like contemporary art quilts and others like traditional quilts - its nothing personal its just a preference and not meant to be taken to heart.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Rose - -Please make ME a quilt!!!!!!! I promise to love, honor and cherish her....seriously, you could also join in our swaps...that might inspire your creativity and find lots of happy loving homes for your projects. Do you you think that might be fun for you? Also, if you get involved in a guild, you might find more outlets for your creativity. A "burned" quilter...no no no, we must have you back in the land of fun and piecing...:)
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I think you are right to decide not to go with the quilt. If you are pretty sure she will not appreciate it, give them something they will like. It hurts to see something we have put so much into not loved as we would like. Some people just do not appreciate quilts.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
some people like quilts and others don't.
What kind of crazy people don't like quilts? Are they totally bonkers? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks for all your encouragement. Im just in a slump over it and I will continue to quilt.
I do belong to a small group who make quilts for wounded soldiers and we are very much appriciated for it. We took a break for the summer and I sure miss our get togathers.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

If it were me I wouldn't make it. My friend requested I make her grandson a quilt when he was born. The colors matched the room, colors I hated and hated working on. When it was fisished I sent it off to NY I live in Ohio. I never got a call or thank you so I finally called to see if it arrived. It had they loved it but if I didn't make the call it would have never been acknowledged. It was used as a wall hanging until he was 2, they didn't believe in putting a quilt/blanket on the baby for fear of him getting wrapped in it. Now a secod grandson was born I started a quilt and never finished it. I thought if they couldn't call or write to say thank you I would not give it as a gift. I put love into what I do and if people acknowldge what I do I would rather buy them something and use my time spent on making something for someone else or for me.