Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Under quilt long arm camera connection to iPad? >

Under quilt long arm camera connection to iPad?

Under quilt long arm camera connection to iPad?

Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Under quilt long arm camera connection to iPad?

I have looked long and hard at cameras to see under quilt on my long arm. The components (camera are cheap and I have an iPad), but the companies selling to quilters are selling the whole unit for $500. I would like to hook up a mini camera under the quilt, attached to the machine and use wifi to connect to my iPad which is a perfect monitor. I am not tech savvy in electronics. I can find wifi camera, and wifi backup cameras (how to wire them to power?), and supposed apps to connect to the iPad. Has anyone been able to do this? I tried Best Buy, Amazon, etc. but no one knows what I am talking about. Hopefully, someone out there is tech savvy. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

This would be a good question to ask on some of the longarm quilting groups at groups.yahoo.com . I have seen several threads over time about setting up under quilt cameras on those groups, but never paid much attention because I have not had the need. You should be able to do this for way less than $500!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Someone was talking about one at Harbor Freight.
Best thing I bought at Harbor Freight was a CenTech Digital Inspection camera. It is really used for inspection car engines, looking down plumbing pipes, or behind walls. A longarm quilt guild friend showed us how to it to look under the quilt frame to check how the stitches look on the back of the quilt so you can get the tension correct. No more crawling under the frame with a flash light to do this !! Just put the little camera deal under the quilt on the frame and look at the screen to tell if your stitches are good. Got mine on sale, plus a 20% off coupon.

maybe this would work for you?
Old 11-17-2016, 01:06 PM
anonymous

Does anybody use quilter's eye? I've wondered how well it works. Pros and cons. Not cheap, but I agree it would be nice for an easier way to see the back of a quilt as you go.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:17 PM

I believe that if you have a USB to iPad connector you can hook up any camera to your iPad. I found this one http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product...e-2-m?fnode=91 for the new iPads, and there used to be an iPad to camera connector for old iPads, although I can't find it on their website any more. It was basically a dongle that you plugged into the 30-pin port on the iPad, that had a USB port on the other side. You could attach a camera or other devices to transfer images through the USB port. They may still be available in stores.

If you can find a wifi backup camera or security camera with an iPad app, it should work. Get one that can plug into standard power, stick it to the end of a yard stick, plug it into an extension cord, and see what you can see. I would be very interested in hearing if it works!

Edit: I found the old-iPad camera connector at bestbuy.ca; don't know if you can find it elsewhere, but this will show you what it looks like: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...70a5580593en02

Last edited by Jennifer23; 11-17-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 11-18-2016, 04:24 AM

I was going to suggest a 'drop cam' for this purpose. I know DH uses them for security purposes at work so I would think you should be able to get one with the proper focal width you are looking for. And then should be able to connect to your wifi to be able to view on your tablet or computer.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 AM

I have a camera on my Handi Quilter Infinity.i use it as a starting point and still feel and get under and look. You can take a picture with your phone and use that as a quick reference.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 AM

I don't have an Ipad but had a laptop I wasn't using except when my desktop is in the shop for repair so its just collecting dust. Also had a Logitec webcam not in use so with these 2 items and a 30 ft USB cable with a booster due to the length of the cable I was able to add the webcam to the underside of my Innova. I used one of those huge clips to attach it to the base of the machine, strung the cable up and over a conduit pipe I have on the ceiling holding up all my other cables/power cords and then down to the laptop I have sitting on a rolling cart at one end of my frame. Works like a charm and didn't cost me much......I think less than $50 for the 30ft USB cable I found on Amazon.com. I also was looking in the Quilter's Eye but was told it was a waste of money and it did seem like a lot of money to me.

On the Innova yahoo group in the files they have a DIY folder where folks have placed their ideas for add-ons to their machine systems. I was lucky I had these 2 items already sitting around the house. Think someone with an Innova was able to hook her cable to her tablet so its doable.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:48 AM

I just looked online and found this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WD78NGDJ3T78M5

and sent the link to hubby as my Christmas "wish list" item
Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Leta-
Make sure it fits your needs. In looking at comments on Amazon, looks like it it's focal distance is limited to a few inches, anything further away gets fuzzy. So spot inspecting on occasion would work, using to monitor continued stitching probably wouldn't.