Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: unplug machine when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by sew_southern
    I had never thought of that. I never leave small appliances plugged in or the dryer running when I leave. My sewing machine is on a surge protector, but I don't always turn it off unless there's a storm. I'll remember to unplug it from now on. :)
    I do the same things as you do. However, it never dawn on me to unplug my sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02
    My DD is very cautious about electric, because she does not want to have to pay large bills : ). So the electric company told her to unplug anything she was not using. Well in some cases this is a good idea, however....she even unplugged her large screen TV. When the repair man was there last week, well, he suggested she not unplug it every night, and to leave it in. Eventdently it is very hard on the power supplies turning them off and on. Anyway kinda off subject, but I never unplug my sewing machine...I don't unplug anything, maybe I should think about doing that on some things.
    Unplugged some items too, to conserve $$ and resources; this is done across the planet.
    But have more selfish reasons for unplugging my machine - don't ever want to lose her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacThayer
    I have my sewing machine, iron and a nearby lamp on a surge protector, and I automatically shut it off when I'm not using them. Is that enough?

In fact, practically everything in this house is on a surge protector. We were hit by lightening a few years back, and even though the house was properly grounded, the lightening was so close, it blackened an outside and inside wall, blew a wall lamp off the wall, and fried every electronic we had plugged in, even if it wasn't on, except for a couple things like the fridge and range which had built in surge protectors. And I mean every electronic! My husband had a home office, and that meant his fax, copier, scanner, and 2 computer were history. We lost every TV in the house, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Even the blow dryer for my hair blew up. You can see why we use surge protectors now!

I remember when it hit. This shock of electricity hit me, knocked me down, and my hair stood on end. Scared the heck out of the dog. It wasn't funny. And I never leave the house with anything running: dryer, dishwasher, TV, nothing.

If anyone knows if turning off a surge protector would prevent a fire, I'd love to know.
    When a pole outside out house was struck, we lost out phone, fax, fridge, answering machine, some were plugged in to cheapie surge protectors but they didn't help. The electric company said if the strike is close enough surge protector will not help. They are mostly to protect against power surges. We took our expensive business phone in to see about repair and they called and said all the electronics inside the phone were melted and it was a good thing no one was talking on the phone at the time. I always thought mom was just being a scaredy cat telling us to get off the phone during a storm, but now I never talk on the phone during a storm! The electric company said safest thing to do in a storm is to unplug everything and stay off the phone and out of the shower! :!:

Blog Entries
    I always unplug mine due to lighting, if computerised it can ruin your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    In tonight's local news paper was an artical about a home fire, resulting in quite a lot of damage. They say the likely cause was a defective foot pedal on a sewing machine, which overheated, and started a fire on the carpet. No one was home at the time so the fire really took hold before neighbors noticed smoke. I usually unplug my machine when not in use, but did go in and check to make sure I had last time I used it. Something to think about.
    Sounds quite possible.

The foot control on my older Singer went out the other day. When I picked it up, the controller was HOT on the bottom making me wonder if it went bad from the heat. At any rate, I'm now putting my new controller on a cookie cooling sheet so some air circulates under it.

My sewing set up is such that I HAVE to unplug it when I'm done------------no choice. Now, I may not leave it plugged in even for lunch breaks.

Wow! Scary!! You just never know, do you? Guess I'd better get smart & start unplugging mine....

We have GFI on EVERYTHING and surge protectors ----BUT you have me thinking about the unplugging.

I have my sewing machine,iron, and a light all plug into a surge protector strip. that I trun off ever time I leave the room and with the light on the some strip it is ease to see that all is off.

I was told that a surge protector only works if it is turned on.

So, turning everything off with the surge protector leaves all of those items unprotected.

I was like you, sweetpea, until a storm in which I had pulled the iron and sewing machine plugs and left in the tall Ottlite. Lightning hit a tree outside our yard which fell on power lines. It took out a ceiling fan, microwave, and the black box on the Ottlite.

I now unplug everything when I leave the area. You could also pull the plug on the surge protector.

Blog Entries
    Family thinks I am nuts, nuthing is plugged in until I'm ready to use it. Microwave, oven light, toaster. Been hit and fried tooo many times, costly and GRRRRR!

This happened to my mother. Her sewing machine was in the bedroom, we were in the kitchen having a cup of coffee when I happen to look into the room and noticed the machine was on fire. Lucky we were home at the time. Couldn't put the fire out with water so we smothered it with blankets. Very scarey, since then I always pull the plug.

I ALWAYS unplug my iron and machine when not in use.

I don't always unplug, but will now. I remember when I had a high school girl staying with me, who always had the iron plugged in, even if the dial, which was on the top, was turned to the off position. She had a cat who jumped everywhere. I told her the cat could knock the iron down and cause the dial to move to the on position, and cause a fire. I think a good motto for us is to "Be aware, and beware".

Mine is always unplugged when not in use.
    I know some people unplug all small appliances in the kitchen also; but we don't here. Hubby and son think it is too much of an inconvenience to plug them in lol. MEN !!

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I unplug mine because of the computer feature. Same as a computer or laptop. They can be damaged by power surges. Y

I have all my machines plugged into a serge protector.

On the same subject, do you know that the most common cause of home fires is the dryer! Not only does cleaning the filter after every load make the dryer more efficient, but lint build up is extremely flamable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janeknapp
    I was told that a surge protector only works if it is turned on.

So, turning everything off with the surge protector leaves all of those items unprotected.

I was like you, sweetpea, until a storm in which I had pulled the iron and sewing machine plugs and left in the tall Ottlite. Lightning hit a tree outside our yard which fell on power lines. It took out a ceiling fan, microwave, and the black box on the Ottlite.

I now unplug everything when I leave the area. You could also pull the plug on the surge protector.
    Very true, turning off the protection will disable it and leave your items to fry if they are hit by a strike

I just noticed the other day that the user manuals for my old singers all say to unplug the machine when not in use.

I always unplugg everything except for the alarm clock (wish I could some mornings at 5am) large appliances and the tv's which are on surge protectors.. Everything else is unplugged. Toaster, hairdryer, Iron, coffee pot.

Besides fire, incase of a power failure it will protect your machine from a power surge that could possibly destory it. Especially the kind with computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a friend that had his coffee pot on and dozed off in his recliner. The coffee pot started a kitchen fire and he had to redo his whole kitchen.

Thanks for sharing, it's a timely reminder.

SEW
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have not been in the habit of unplugging my machine when I am finished sewing, but I think I will now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast