Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unplug machine when not in use >

unplug machine when not in use

unplug machine when not in use

Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If you install GFI electrical sockets in your home on the things that you have plugged in all the time like toasters, lamps and what not then you can get by with leaving everything plugged in. But they are pricy and I do have them in my home. They have the little reset buttons on the socket so you can test the surge protector and reset it if it trips.

Billy
This is what we have done in our rooms in the house for certain items.
We also have to remember..my stove is gas..but uses elec for the ignition... fridges... microwaves... washer/dryers.. we all leave such items plugged in at all times. So use the special outlets for your house.. well worth it.

Surge protectors to NOT always protect your items. Our neighbor had his business office in his house.. when a mega storm happened. They just like MacThayer..lost every electronic item in the house because of a storm..but all his entire office supply was on backups power supply/surge protection.. still lost it all. He was told, the surger protectors really do not cover for storms. it covers a different kind of power surge. He spent over 100 a piece on his surger protectors.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 AM

Having worked at a fire department for many years I can tell you all the stories you hear about appliances are true. I have my entire sewing room on a surge protector and when I come in I just flip a switch or two. Very comforting. Also, don't run your dishwasher at night. My friend ran hers and when she woke up in the morning she had water from her kitchen to under her bed and when she stepped out of her bed--surprise. Had to replace all the hardwood floors in her house. All electronics should be on a surge protector, and kitchen appliances should plugged in only when in use.

End of lecture.
Lana :thumbup:
Old 10-22-2011, 03:45 AM

Having worked at a fire department for many years I can tell you all the stories you hear about appliances are true. I have my entire sewing room on a surge protector and when I come in I just flip a switch or two. Very comforting. Also, don't run your dishwasher at night. My friend ran hers and when she woke up in the morning she had water from her kitchen to under her bed and when she stepped out of her bed--surprise. Had to replace all the hardwood floors in her house. All electronics should be on a surge protector, and kitchen appliances should plugged in only when in use.

End of lecture.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 AM

I always unplug my iron and machines when i am down with them. never thought of the toaster though.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 AM

Am starting to unplug my machines. Started with my HQ16 after a lighting strike across the street; then with my FW I also unplug as I had read about the foot could overheat.
When we bought the house we the curcit box changed out and added a surge protecte to the box, something I had read about and the electrician knew nothing about. Also I do use surge protector to plug into. Just replaced one in my studio.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by sew_southern
I had never thought of that. I never leave small appliances plugged in or the dryer running when I leave. My sewing machine is on a surge protector, but I don't always turn it off unless there's a storm. I'll remember to unplug it from now on. :)
I do the same things as you do. However, it never dawn on me to unplug my sewing machine.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
My DD is very cautious about electric, because she does not want to have to pay large bills : ). So the electric company told her to unplug anything she was not using. Well in some cases this is a good idea, however....she even unplugged her large screen TV. When the repair man was there last week, well, he suggested she not unplug it every night, and to leave it in. Eventdently it is very hard on the power supplies turning them off and on. Anyway kinda off subject, but I never unplug my sewing machine...I don't unplug anything, maybe I should think about doing that on some things.
Unplugged some items too, to conserve $$ and resources; this is done across the planet.
But have more selfish reasons for unplugging my machine - don't ever want to lose her.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have my sewing machine, iron and a nearby lamp on a surge protector, and I automatically shut it off when I'm not using them. Is that enough?

In fact, practically everything in this house is on a surge protector. We were hit by lightening a few years back, and even though the house was properly grounded, the lightening was so close, it blackened an outside and inside wall, blew a wall lamp off the wall, and fried every electronic we had plugged in, even if it wasn't on, except for a couple things like the fridge and range which had built in surge protectors. And I mean every electronic! My husband had a home office, and that meant his fax, copier, scanner, and 2 computer were history. We lost every TV in the house, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Even the blow dryer for my hair blew up. You can see why we use surge protectors now!

I remember when it hit. This shock of electricity hit me, knocked me down, and my hair stood on end. Scared the heck out of the dog. It wasn't funny. And I never leave the house with anything running: dryer, dishwasher, TV, nothing.

If anyone knows if turning off a surge protector would prevent a fire, I'd love to know.
When a pole outside out house was struck, we lost out phone, fax, fridge, answering machine, some were plugged in to cheapie surge protectors but they didn't help. The electric company said if the strike is close enough surge protector will not help. They are mostly to protect against power surges. We took our expensive business phone in to see about repair and they called and said all the electronics inside the phone were melted and it was a good thing no one was talking on the phone at the time. I always thought mom was just being a scaredy cat telling us to get off the phone during a storm, but now I never talk on the phone during a storm! The electric company said safest thing to do in a storm is to unplug everything and stay off the phone and out of the shower! :!:
Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 AM

I always unplug mine due to lighting, if computerised it can ruin your machine.