Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
unplug machine when not in use >

unplug machine when not in use

unplug machine when not in use

Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 AM

I have my machine and my light on a power strip, which I turn off when I leave the studio. Light serves as a reminder to turn it off, so serves a dual purpose.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom
I have my machine and my light on a power strip, which I turn off when I leave the studio. Light serves as a reminder to turn it off, so serves a dual purpose.
That's fine for turning off power on the power strip to your machine and light, but it won't protect it from a power surge when it's turned on. You need a surge protector.

It also won't protect it from a lightning strike or a power surge from a tree falling and taking out wires and a transformer. It will run through the wires even when off.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have my sewing machine, iron and a nearby lamp on a surge protector, and I automatically shut it off when I'm not using them. Is that enough?

In fact, practically everything in this house is on a surge protector. We were hit by lightening a few years back, and even though the house was properly grounded, the lightening was so close, it blackened an outside and inside wall, blew a wall lamp off the wall, and fried every electronic we had plugged in, even if it wasn't on, except for a couple things like the fridge and range which had built in surge protectors. And I mean every electronic! My husband had a home office, and that meant his fax, copier, scanner, and 2 computer were history. We lost every TV in the house, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Even the blow dryer for my hair blew up. You can see why we use surge protectors now!

I remember when it hit. This shock of electricity hit me, knocked me down, and my hair stood on end. Scared the heck out of the dog. It wasn't funny. And I never leave the house with anything running: dryer, dishwasher, TV, nothing.

If anyone knows if turning off a surge protector would prevent a fire, I'd love to know.
If you turn off your surge protector, it will no longer protect the items you have plugged into it. It has to be left on in order to protect the items plugged in. That's what the circuitry inside it is supposed to do. If you're going to purchase a surge protector, try to get one with the best dollar amount coverage - but be sure to send in your warranty card. Otherwise, you won't be covered if the surge protector doesn't do it's job. Also, don't turn off your items using the switch on the surge protector. Turn off the item itself. Turning the surge protector on to turn on your equipment sends too much electricity at once and will damage your equipment. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
In tonight's local news paper was an artical about a home fire, resulting in quite a lot of damage. They say the likely cause was a defective foot pedal on a sewing machine, which overheated, and started a fire on the carpet. No one was home at the time so the fire really took hold before neighbors noticed smoke. I usually unplug my machine when not in use, but did go in and check to make sure I had last time I used it. Something to think about.
I always unplug everything in my shop before I leave it. I have forgotten to turn of iron, etc. too many times. Now, Everything gets unplugged - only takes a second to be safe.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Thank you for sharing. I don't unplug but it isn't a bad idea to do that.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for this thread. I unplug a lot of things but my DH does not :(
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I have my machines pluged in to a surge strip and always turn the strip off when I leave the room. I wonder if this is good enough. Should I unplug the machines from the strip? Any suggestions?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 PM

After my sister's house was struck by lightening during a storm and they lost all their appliances/TV's, I started unplugging my sewing machines when I was done each day just in case. I don't care about the TV's, etc. - my sewing machines are a priority!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM

I always unplug my sewing machines! Storm came through once and burned my power lift on cabinet! You are always using electricity when anything is plugged into an outlet! Too risky anymore!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz
I don't use foot pedals and also all of my machines are on a secure surge protector which has $50,000 insurance against faulty things happening to our machines.

Been using surge protectors for years for all my electrical equipment from computers, craft machines, tv's and more.
If you read the fine print..on these items..it DOES NOT cover the cost of items from an actual surge!! It covers it if the surge protector shorts out for some strange reason. Surge protectors cover when your power goes out and comes back on..not against storm type issues. If lightening strikes..sit down and cry for all the headaches your gonna have replacing all electronic items in your house. Then call your house ins carrier... they can cry with ya.. trust me..it is a pain to deal with.