Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using an iPad for quilting

Thank you!! I'm going to the APP Store on my Ipad!!!

I don't have an iPad but I'll have to give my daughter the info about the Zite site. Thanks.

Download a PDF reader and you can have your PDF patterns on your iPad too. I use GoodReader. You do have to pay for it, but I believe there is a free "lite" version. I use it constantly for knitting and quilting patterns and articles. I like QuiltCalc as well and found another neat app I haven't fully explored yet called SewingKitLT. Looks like an inventory type app for patterns and fabrics and projects. Neat Stuff. I love the size of the iPad. Some of the other tablets are just too small. I have an iPhone too, so don't need the smaller screen tablets. The iPad is quickly becoming one of my favourite tech gadgets!
    Lynda K
    down on the farm in S.W. Ontario Canada, when I'm not at the trailer!

After reading this, I typed in quilting apps for Android. Came up with quite a few.

Thanks, Linda

Blog Entries
    Kindle owners -I got one for Christmas, and I'm a novice. Do we have anything like the apps Ipad owners have?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
    Fabriholic,
    Yes my daughter in law suggested a tablet and I had looked at the Samsung Galaxy previously but I think they were banned from sale in Australia recently due to a court injunction from Apple. Can you do emails with the Samsung Galaxy tablet? Sorry if I am going off topic girls, but I am wanting something to curl up with and read from when I travel, and I did find with my elderley wrists the ipad is heavy to hold for any length of time, unless I had a cushion under it I suppose.
    Anna
    Anna

I have been sitting on the fence as to which way to go: Apple verses android.

Apple lost its suite you mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions and encouragement. I will be making a choice in the near future and this info will be so exciting to explore!

Question for iPad owners: which models did you get? 16... ?
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 12-31-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Add a question

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I think sewing machines make better stitches than I Pads! hehehehehe
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I got my Ipad for Christmas. It is addictive! I checked out the zite site. A new addiction. Now to get to my sewing and maybe a New Year's resolution of trying to finish UFO's if I can drag myself away from this new toy!

Blog Entries
    I like touch draw, a graphics program, and reading this board! The graphics let me play with patterns I see on this board!
    Debbie Dresser

What is touch draw? An app for ipad? I never connected using my ipad for quilting - what a great thing!

thank you for that pattern (and the photo). Your instructions were very clear. I'm off to make a couple!!!
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Blog Entries
    iPad user, please read the reviews before purchasing. The major issue that a lot of people are having is it crashes and looses the data that you have entered. I personally would wait until they release a fix.
    The Quilting Bear

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme View Post
    Question for iPad owners: which models did you get? 16... ?
    Mine is 64GB. I was going to get 32GB but wasn't able to locate one in stock. I had to make my purchase by 12/31 to save 20% using my AMEX points.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckbere15 View Post
    iPad user, please read the reviews before purchasing. The major issue that a lot of people are having is it crashes and looses the data that you have entered. I personally would wait until they release a fix.
    Which app?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
    Fabriholic,
    Yes my daughter in law suggested a tablet and I had looked at the Samsung Galaxy previously but I think they were banned from sale in Australia recently due to a court injunction from Apple. Can you do emails with the Samsung Galaxy tablet? Sorry if I am going off topic girls, but I am wanting something to curl up with and read from when I travel, and I did find with my elderley wrists the ipad is heavy to hold for any length of time, unless I had a cushion under it I suppose.
    Anna
    Anna
    Have you looked into the Nook Color; I don't know that much about the Nook Tablet yet. The Nook does emails; can read in any light and is light weight. It has lots of low to no cost apps allowing you to use it as an organizer, journal and more. To enter info into a spread sheet or calendar you don't have to have it hooked up to the pc to do so; just enter. I have the 3-G black and white one and also the color Nook and will be looking into the tablet. I know that they are upgrading the software for the color in the next few weeks to be able to watch movies ect with it as well. Good luck with your search.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
    My hubby got me a Kindle Fire. I had an earlier version but really liked what could be done with this one. I will have to check and see if any of those apps will work on my Fire.
    Thinking of getting a Kindle Fire and was wondering why you like it better than others. Thanks. Jackie

Hey I'm on mine right now. I have the Kauffman calculator as well. I love the portability of them. Mine is an iPad one so I can't download PDF files, nor does it have a camera. So folks if your thinking of one get the ipad2.

I love my iPad. I am not a techno at all, however with this gadget I have been able to catch up with the rest of the world. I use it at least 3 times a day. Although still in love with the feel of a book I have kindle on mine so can take as many books with me when I travel, if I am not sleeping can read or check with you all with out putting on the light and disturbing DH. I store my photos on it and can check my emails quickly. I have 3 weather apps on it as I am a farmer and find them useful. DH purchased it for me as my birthday present last year and I still tell him how great it is.
    Merivale
    Australia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zipit View Post
    Which app?
    The quilt journal has a lot of bad reviews.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My time View Post
    Hey I'm on mine right now. I have the Kauffman calculator as well. I love the portability of them. Mine is an iPad one so I can't download PDF files, nor does it have a camera. So folks if your thinking of one get the ipad2.
    I have the iPad 2 and can view PDFs. I open them in a safari and then touch the screen and it allows you to one in iBooks. This should work with both iPad 1 and 2, you may need to update to the most current software. And I'm not sure if there is a cost to that. Also, there are some apps out there that allows you to view PDFs but I prefer iBooks and I can sync that with my computer using iTunes which I would recommend to do monthly if you down load a lt of PDFs as I do with patterns and ideas.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the apps. I am saving up for an iPad. Cannot wait for all its capabilities.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

can i get most of this quilting stuff on my kindle fire .i just got one and i am new to it , now i am wondering if i should of gotten a ipad?

I have a shop locator. It bases off where you are standing (sitting) and then displays on a map quilt stores that are close to you - you can also pull it in list view.

Good Luck!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    There is an app out at the app store called quilters app that is pretty pricey but let's you construct a quilt with your own fabrics. There is also a tutorial on you tube about this app. The creator is MarDan GeoSpatial. See what you think.

I think I am missing something here...I have a laptop PC with broadband mobile so I am on-line all the time (except in the Bershires of western MA where there is no telephone service!) with EQ7, all my photos of quilts and shows and ideas and patterns, all jpg's and pdf's, plus all my bookmarks and links to sites like the quilting board. I hook up my camera to the PC and download photos. I scan fabrics to the PC, tweak color in photoshop, and file in EQ7. I watch utube videos and search for patterns, shop for fabrics, and all that. I even tear myself away from it and do quilting. LOL!!!
    I think I must be missing something with this ipad/ereader/tablet thing but I don't know what it is. Bringing the device to the LQS?
    If I get one will it talk to my PC?
    Appreciate your thoughts on this folks....
    thanks
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast