Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vent: Joann's Store >

Vent: Joann's Store

Vent: Joann's Store

Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM

I am with you , every time I think "maybe this time will be different " they find new ways to disappoint me. I have had it with them. Just not worth the aggrivation!
I even contacted the District Manager after one particularly bad experience. Nothing changed ...got worse ... I am done with them.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:49 AM

It all adds up to customer service. I find the people at JoAnns here very helpful and polite. If there is a problem, they bend over backwards to help. I find nice quality fabric there. I bought embroidery thread recently--JoAnns--DMC, Hancock--from China. There was a big difference in the quality of thread. I also find a lot of the fabric at the Hancocks here has a much lower thread count than the cottons I find at Hancocks. I think a lot depends on the local manager. Hope you find a source for your supplies that makes you smile. Some quilters like WalMart fabric and others of us won't touch it. It's all a matter of preference and the store management.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 AM

The clerk at the store I visited accused me of making too much money on my job and chastised me for using gasoline to drive to the store. I can overcome the shabby layout, but not anything this offensive.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 AM

"Meanwhile, the JA's where I live have much more in the quilting area, tools, and such ... and are really friendly and definitely don't cop an attitude with shoppers"....

I don't know if you realize that there are two categories for JoAnn's....The craft/fabric and the "upholstry/curtains".

In Lancaster, we had both. The craft store usually had everything I needed. The other very small seclection for "us quilters"
Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 AM

This is not the first time this issue has come up about JoAnn's. I believe there are more people who are disgusted with JoAnn's than there are people who are satisfied. Never enough help, sullen, unknowledgable, unhelpful people working there, customers treated like they are stupid and a bother. I won't step foot in the store near me. I'd rather go to my LQS, pay a little extra and get intelligent suggestions, be treated respectfully, get better quality fabric and even get free help with quilting questions! That kind of service is worth the price. Leave JoAnn's in the dust. They are not worth the hassle.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 AM

I had a problem with a JA store in Oregon that I visited on vacation. I live in AZ. I emailed corporate, very upset. They emailed me back and forth and finally resolved the problem. Don't stop with the local store. Email corporate and complain - loudly - they will listen and do something.

You just have to find the 800 pound gorilla at the top of the hill who can ajust attitudes and job descriptions. Case in point: I had a problem with the VA supplying a gravestone for my husband. After 9 months of the funeral director trying to get the marker, I told him that I'd take care of it. I called the White House and, after telling the switchboard operator my problem, she gave me the direct phone number for the Secretary of Veteran Affairs. I called him and my problem was taken care of the next day.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Thank you all for listening and sharing your experiences!

On that note, I’d like to end by saying although it wasn’t always pleasant; the good part is all the pretty fabrics I've gotten! Life goes on….Hummmm I better get to making quilts but I just can't stop looking at all the pretty quilts everyone else is making :)

Ya’ll have a great day!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

P.S. I love the lady who uses her JoAnn's coupons at Michaels!!! You go, girl!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM

Maybe we all need to write or e-mail JoAnn fabrics! Just a thought. Sometimes they will answer & sometimes they will not. Let them know how upset we are. Also which stores.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
just remember ... every Joann's store is different. for every vent event, there are lots of happy customers.

we're sorry you don't enjoy your store and hope you find a store you do like very soon.
Oh, I hope I'm not making other people think twice about going to Joann's. This is just MY story and MY experience. I won't go to this particular store, but if there's another Joann's that I happen to pass by, I'll go and check it out.
Hey Crafty!

So sorry about your experiences with JA's. There are 3 JAs I can go to in RIC, VA area. The only problems I had were items out of stock and one time when the computers were down due to a transformer blowing. Right now, the closest to me is in Colonial Heights. The new superstore on Rte 288 is really good.

I hope the other JA's work out better. Yes, you should contact corporate office and complain. Look on your receipt for the store number and see if you can remember the names of the people who were less than helpful.

BeagleMom and MT

Please don't let my experience affect you into not going there, it is not my intentions! They do have great sales tho!