Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Honest Opinions Please >

Very Honest Opinions Please

Very Honest Opinions Please

Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM

I think your squares are wonderful! It's difficult to tell the colors on the computer but your quilt looks like it has more brown & her pillows look more gray??? But, the pillow is kind of random so the quilt should be too if that's what you want to do??? :D
Old 09-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Great job Diana! She will treasure it!! Really love your design and the colors!!! Show us a picture of her when she sees it!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Thank you, all of you!!!! You all are truly wonderful, and I so appreciate all your hints and encouragement!!!
I got it all done tonight, except I've got to wash it and put the label on it!! Besides wishing I'd done better on placement of some of the blocks, I'm also wishing I'd made it a hair bigger.... But it covers my belly to my feet (sprawled on the couch), and she's 3" shorter than I am, so it should be ok. I did FMQ on it, and am thinking it would probably have looked better with SID, but I'm a lot quicker on FMQ! lol!!!!!
I'll post pictures of her with it Sunday evening!!

And I just have to put the borders on, and quilt the one for my step-daughter, but we've not heard yet if she's coming Sunday too. I am seriously getting tired of sitting at my sewing machine! lol!!!! Christie's is the 5th quilt in maybe 4 weeks, or less? I can't remember now! lol!!!!

Oh, and Busiacam - I am neither State of Michigan. lol!!!!! My DH watches the Lions. The only sport I've ever been able to figure out was baseball. lol!!!!!! So once in a blue moon, we go to a Tigers game in Detroit.

Thank you again!!!!!! :) :)
Old 09-06-2009, 01:51 PM

i love it
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM

you wash your quilt after quilting? and not the fabric before piecing?

I know I am dumb but what does SID mean and LMQ?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Thank you, Notsewgood! :D

Many Craft Person, yes I wash after I get a quilt done. I'm too lazy to pre-wash. lol!!! Others on here wash first. I believe it's a matter of personal preference. Some have had fabric shrink, colors run, etc, so they pre-wash. I've been lucky so far, and haven't had any problems from not pre-washing. If you have some iffy fabric though, you might want to be safe and wash it first. You can put it in the 'search' above and probably come up with a lot of posts on it, for more opinions, info!

SID is Stitch In the Ditch (or down your seam lines), and FMQ is Free Motion Quilting (dropping your feed dogs, and using a darning foot to do your own thing).

And no, you are far from being dumb!! I didn't know what they meant either before!!
:-)
Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 PM

I don't know about LMQ but SID is stitch in the ditch
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by many craft person
you wash your quilt after quilting? and not the fabric before piecing?

I know I am dumb but what does SID mean and LMQ?
i wash my material before and the quilt after.SID is stitch in the ditch and I believe LMQ long arm machine quilting
Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 AM

I love the simplicity of the pattern. I think she will also. I agree with others that the lightest and darkest of the bues are standing out. If you have blues with a muted tone they would be better. It's a challenge to figure out the right pattern for the right person but I think you are on the right track. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM

I'm sorry you feel like you hate the project. I've been in that position myself. I also plowed ahead and completed the project and it doesn't necessarily improve. If you do get your daughter involved in selecting the colors she will probably love it even though even though it may not be your favorite. But if her enjoyment is your goal, you will be successful.
After completing my quilt I was not too happy with color selection, I made another quilt from my stash of favorite quilts. I think it is attractive and let me move on. So that's my suggestion. Get the recipient involved so you can detach then do a follow-up therapy quilt for you.
For what it's worth, I like the pattern you are making. The color choices determine the mood. From the two examples of items in your daughter's home they are subtle contemporary and I think the muted colors will be the best fit.
Please don't send it to the trash!!!