Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend— Nov 24- Nov 27, 2022 >

Virtual quilting weekend— Nov 24- Nov 27, 2022

Virtual quilting weekend— Nov 24- Nov 27, 2022

Old 11-26-2022, 09:38 AM

Raggiemom - our problem was the fact that my other half decided to bring home a 22 pound bird, which is fine because I like to cook big turkeys, it gives us quite a bit of leftovers that I can freeze for later. It's not the biggest bird I've ever cooked, but my poor roaster almost couldn't handle it, I had to dislocate one of the legs to move it out of the way so the fan could run and then it took almost six hours to roast at 350*! My math brain just wasn't in gear, I started it at 10:30 and thought I gave us enough time that we could watch the National Dog Show and then eat, but it wasn't until 5:30 before the bird was done. Came out perfect, however, super juicy and made a ton of gravy, but we had pie and coffee at 11:30pm. It's Thanksgiving, though, in my book, you eat when the feast is ready, no matter what time! He found out yesterday that it's a VQW - so he's in the kitchen right now putting together some roasted garlic potatoes, turkey and gravy into the InstaPot so I don't have to cook today.

I didn't get much done yesterday, he was worried that I worked too hard Wednesday, Thursday and yesterday morning cooking and then getting the kitchen cleaned, so he enticed me into playing some Need for Speed yesterday afternoon with fresh coffee and mini scones. I did manage to get my floor stand moved out of the way and gathered up the newest pre-cuts, they're on my sewing cabinet right now waiting for me to get started sorting. I'm suspecting it'll take most of the afternoon to get through my fabric, but after a busy couple of days, handling fabric will be a nice way to slow things down. This evening, I'll be doing a good clean on my sewing machine, then I'll start in organizing the ironing station.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:05 PM

Well I finished the quilting on one. Binding done on one and working on binding the second. Hope to have it finished today. I think tomorrow will be decorating day.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:20 PM

Got the center all done and tomorrow on to the borders which should go together quickly. I can’t wait to be done with this one.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:09 PM

WMUTeach and OurWorkBench--hopefully the bugs will get fixed soon on the board. I haven't tried to upload pictures in months as I haven't really figured out the system yet!

Well, two batches of cookies are made and the two trees are decorated. So this afternoon, I started prepping for class I'm taking next Saturday--A Place for Everything by Annie. There is a lot of homework to do for the class. I discovered I bought navy fold over elastic instead of black and I ran out of vinyl so good thing I'm going to the shop tomorrow for their Black Friday sale. Other than that, everything is cut. Next I need to quilt the main pieces and do a few other things. Should be ready for the class in time

Will check back in tomorrow and see how you're all doing.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:46 PM

Christmas gift quilt.part 2 done and I am cutting Part 3. This third section will take more than one day once I get to sewing the piees together. The pattern is a version of an old Bonnie Hunter free pattern "Jered Takes a Wife". It is an updated version of "Blackford's Beauty" which has Civil War history. I am using batiks of the violet, dark purple, turquoise and very light blue color way. I trust this photo, from Bonnie Hunter, makes it to the post.

Oh, good it worked. Now to try to get my own photos from my saved files to my postings.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 11-26-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:28 PM

I heard from my niece about some questions on the t-shirt quilt. We were trying to decide if the names on the back of the gymnastics sweatshirts should be included. She was OK leaving a few out that weren't fitting, but I think I'm going to see if I can add another row to get a few more in there. Then I would have a squarish quilt rather than a rectangle. That works too!
Old 11-26-2022, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
The next VQW will be December 16-18, 2022
Glad to know ahead of time so I can plan my next project. Pastor asked to wait on the church quilts so he can get information about what will be better to use for the quilts we are wanting to give to the homeless in our area. Also gave me a couple of contacts about the quilt tops I already have started. So I have changed my project to my biker quilt for my brother-in-law that has given up the bike but still wears the image of his past biker days. Also working on Matthew's Cop Quilt. Mom & Pop asked if it gets done in time for Christmas can they wait 1 month until his birthday to give it to him.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:45 AM

Any day you learn something new is a good day.

The experiment this weekend is a QAYG made 100% from scraps. Cut 10" squares of batting from edge cuts. Did use some 2.5" white strips new on corner to corner and then darker scraps on one side and medium in the other. Attached by simply sewing the batting with piecework directly to the next. Did use new backing and then quilted the whole thing. (Yes, some of you will say I quilted it twice)

I am very satisfied. Here's the learning:

Final size of 4x4 blocks was 36" square. That means I lost 1/2" in QAYG to the batting and another 1/2" while attaching blocks to each other.

Currently searching thru scrap for binding pieces. It will make a great ISpy for someone who needs a distraction (our Project Linus does a lot of donations to hospitals).

I'll do some more experimenting with QAYG. i like the idea of using these small batting pieces/long skinny pieces to get use out of them.

And I'll attach a picture when I figure it out. (Having the same problems mentioned earlier)
Old 11-27-2022, 09:26 AM

WMUTeach - I've been having issues posting pictures for months - I'm always getting the 'failed to upload' and it doesn't matter what time of the day or day of week, I'm just not able to post pictures at all. It's quite frustrating and I hope they fix the issue.

Still going through my fabric, I didn't realize how many 2.5" strips I had, every time I turn around, I'm finding more, so my sewing machine is completely covered with them. Fat quarters are together, so are my 5" squares, 2.5" squares and my 4" squares. I've got some white fabric that I'm going to have to wash before I use it, I'm thinking of cutting that down to 2.5" squares and start work on another nine-patch quilt. My floor stand is uncovered, I'm using a couple of fat quarters to keep my work clean but I got to thinking that a small lap quilt size would be perfect for it and it'll give me something to lay on my lap when I'm cross-stitching. That will be something for next weekend to work on, my other half will be out of town the entire weekend and I should be able to get it completed in a weekend. If not, then the next VQW.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:21 PM

Well, while I didn't do any actual quilting today, I did go to LQS for their Black Friday weekend sale and put a dent in my wallet! Most of what I bought was on sale for 45% off so I don't feel too guilty . Overall I am very happy with my productivity this weekend and hope you all are pleased with your accomplishments.

Besides the regular VQW Dec 16-18, there will be a special one New Year Eve weekend (Dec 30-Jan 2). Hope to see you all then.