Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- February 10-12, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- February 10-12, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- February 10-12, 2017

Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Worked on my Hunters Star blocks today. Plan to work on them the rest of the weekend. I need 100 blocks. 10 x 10 at 10" per block will give me 100" x 100". Can't get the whole thing on my design board and don't have that big of floor space. Plus working on a really cute baby quilt pattern called Mommy and Me. It has an elephant and her baby with balloons.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 PM

I will check in off and on this weekend. I subbed in a 5th grade room (not my 1st choice but principal's request) for 4 days this week and haven't had the energy to do any sewing or housework! Lol!

I hope to to get a few hours at the machine this weekend.

Connie
Old 02-10-2017, 05:41 PM

I've been waiting for this for plans to spend quaility time with my long arm!

Except I was finishing up a quilt usiing robotics - on the last row. foot snagged on the edge of the batting (even though I have a glide foot) machine hung up and I couldn't get it stopped fast enough. Broke the foot off the machine, and darn near stuck the needle through it.

I have another foot - DH looked it over and everything looks fine. Tired to sew and it picks up the stitch fine but the tension is messed up. Tried a few ideas and then decided to quit for the night, and try to get it figured out tomorrow.

I've got a paper pieced UFO project I want to work on also. I started a BOM last year and only got two done and then let it slide. I saved all the patterns with plans on eventually doing it. So I can work on that for a while until my LA is working again. DH is my sewing machine repair guy, so at least I shouldn't need to take it in.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been waiting for this for plans to spend quaility time with my long arm!

Except I was finishing up a quilt usiing robotics - on the last row. foot snagged on the edge of the batting (even though I have a glide foot) machine hung up and I couldn't get it stopped fast enough. Broke the foot off the machine, and darn near stuck the needle through it.

I have another foot - DH looked it over and everything looks fine. Tired to sew and it picks up the stitch fine but the tension is messed up. Tried a few ideas and then decided to quit for the night, and try to get it figured out tomorrow.

I've got a paper pieced UFO project I want to work on also. I started a BOM last year and only got two done and then let it slide. I saved all the patterns with plans on eventually doing it. So I can work on that for a while until my LA is working again. DH is my sewing machine repair guy, so at least I shouldn't need to take it in.
Dang! that would be so scary to have happen with your long arm! Did it rip the quilt at all? Sure hope not.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Quiltingshortimer- I love your whole cloth quilt!

I'll be working on a UFO that needs to have some repair quilting done to it-- planning on getting this one finished this weekend. I'll also be working on a UFO that was partly pieced several years ago. I hope to get the rest of the piecing done on that. I also need to catch up on my ongoing project (temperature quilt). After all that, if I have time I need to make some progress in a couple of ongoing collaborations.

Rob
thanks guys! I used RJR Radiance (80/20 cotton/silk) and was so afraid to get started! I'll get it bound and get some better pictures so you can see the whole thing--been playing home health person for DH who got new knee week & half ago. Rob, have a question for you. Know that you have posted about using Terial Magic and seeing it advertised in quilt magazines this month as a spray--is that the for you use it? Does it wash out well? if I use it to cut applique on my Shilouette Cameo can I easily turn edges under (assuming I cut the applique bigger so there's something to turn under!)with it or is it too stiff?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Scary long arm accident!

I just got the last of my boom swap blocks finished. I am in the March and April groups, so I made a BUNCH of blocks, something like 40. Loved every minute of it.

Tomorrow I have a lady coming over to bring me T shirts for a T shirt quilt for her graduating daughter. I really don't relish doing another T shirt quilt, but she seemed so desperate. Will do my best.

Maybe I'll get my charity quilts quilted this weekend! Hope so.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 AM

I'm hoping to get some sewing done this weekend although I have my grandson staying so not sure what I'll actually achieve. I've cut out a quilt so hope to get some chain piecing done.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:40 AM

Lightbulb My Quilt As You Go without sashing project.

Hello everyone!

I am finishing a UFO using a QAYG method without sashing using the link below.

http://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/0...go-no-sashing/

I did 2 things different. I sewed 2 rows together and then made a quilt sandwhich vs the 1 row at a time in the link.
I did not use fusible batting so I used adhesive spray to keep my layers from shifting. I have joined and quilted 4 rows as seen in the photo. On my design wall is the final 2 rows for me to make a quilt sandwhich, quilt and then join to the completed and joined rows. Going to the link will explain the process. I have enjoyed this method so far.

Hope your weekend is filled with fabric fun, even if you just get to look at your fabric and dream.
Attached Thumbnails mountain-moon-quilt-layout_li.jpg   img_7332.jpg   img_7333.jpg  
Old 02-11-2017, 04:41 AM

This weekend, I will not be quilting but I will be in my sewing cave. I will be cleaning after a 4 quilt marathon and packing the supplies as I go for a week long quilting and class trip with my daughter and sisters in March. But my machines will be humming on Monday!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
thanks guys! I used RJR Radiance (80/20 cotton/silk) and was so afraid to get started! I'll get it bound and get some better pictures so you can see the whole thing--been playing home health person for DH who got new knee week & half ago. Rob, have a question for you. Know that you have posted about using Terial Magic and seeing it advertised in quilt magazines this month as a spray--is that the for you use it? Does it wash out well? if I use it to cut applique on my Shilouette Cameo can I easily turn edges under (assuming I cut the applique bigger so there's something to turn under!)with it or is it too stiff?

Hey Quiltingshortimer- Sorry I can't answer your question, I haven't used Terial Magic. I think I may have quoted someone's response to a thread about using starch where they mentioned TM. I'm interested in finding out more about it too since I currently use heavy starch when I need to stabilize fabric in prep for making squares with bias edges.