Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 22-25, 2020 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 22-25, 2020

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 22-25, 2020

Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM

This VQW I am working on a lone star quilt. And part 2 of the block of the week here on board.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 PM

First I have to say, Christine, you baby quilt is lovely, and your ruler work quilting is just fantastic. Great job.
Next, I have to say, Vegabond, what are you thinking. Your picture is going to give me nightmares, lol..... Wow,that is a lot of blocks and cutting and stitching. You have way more patients then I.
Lots of goals on here, and lots of work getting accomplished. I sewed yesterday, but not so sure I will get to the machine much over the weekend, only because we finally have good weather here in Central Maine. The yard work is done, mowed the lawn for the first time today, it felt good to be outside. Have some outside work to do, but can hopefully get infront the sewing machine at some point. I have a WIP of another jelly roll rug on the machine as I type. Everyone enjoy their time, what ever you may be doing, outside or sewing or otherwise.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM

Good day everyone. This weekend I plan to make 20 masks for an order. Then make blocks for the 100 block challenge. I’m 1/3 the way done with the blocks. Then I plan to pick out fabric for a mystery top on Monday. If nothing else print out the pattern. Then plan to sew blocks together for a charity top. In between time I plan to square my sub blocks for 2 projects I’ve started. Then I plan sew on 2 borders for a fall throw top. Hopefully I will have time to put a quilt on my long arm. That should keep me busy for a while.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 AM

I moved yesterday, finally, after more than 2 months. All my stuff, including fabric (!) has been in storage during my period in limbo. I located the boxes of fabric last night & cant wait to pet it & croon "my precious" over it. I have little to show in the area of sewing for this quarantine. I feel rather cheated of this time of forced lockdown!
Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 AM

Progress report...... Working on the Farmer's Wife with a goal of 10 blocks for the week-end. Got 4 done yesterday, Friday! But honestly, I am suffering from 1.75 inch HST over load. I will survive (singing in my head) and reach my goal!

Lots of good goals from this team of quilting devotees. It will be fun to see everyone's accomplishments at the end of this long weekend. Get the camera's ready!
Old 05-23-2020, 05:27 AM

Hi! Thanks for hosting again, Raggiemom.

My final border is ready for Bonnie Hunter’s Unity quilt. I didn’t do all of the steps because my church group likes it a certain size so I added 2 small borders instead.

Yard work may be more ‘miss than hit’ this weekend. Rain is in the forecast off and on.

I look forward to reading and seeing projects being worked on this weekend.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
I am so happy to see all the company I have to quilt with this weekend. Also happy to see I'm not the only one working on the same thing as last VQW! I did finish one set of potholders today. Although I increased the stitch, I noticed it was still skipping some. Of course, it does have seven layers. I'm thinking maybe try a size 16 needle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tomorrow I'm picking up a quilt that has been long armed and I will get to see a couple friends who are shopping at the same time that I am. So won't be quilting until after lunch.

Rob, I'm always impressed by your thread painting. It's a technique I plan to try one of these days.

Kathy, you work with such tiny pieces!
i use a 16 or denim needle for potholders & I make a lot of them for a place that helps people transition to their own home.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:58 AM

I'm in! I made a Baby Milestone mat last night for our grandaughter, who is expected to arrive this week. I also made progress on her quilt. Today I need to make some more masks and then work on the quilt. I have a couple of binding projects that I need to tackle and then we'll see what else tempts me.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 AM

So hubby is sleeping in during my prime morning sewing time and I'm being quiet, but good for him. Poor man works so hard.

Yesterday while he was working I did get my setting units completed, I don't really need to layout the quilt in order to start putting the rows together but I prefer to do it that way.

It wasn't actually the previous virtual weekend but the one before I was working on this Bunny Star. Last time I was getting some tops ready to send to a quilter who needed long arm practice... actually the purple solid I used in the Bunny Star was out and then was one of those projects from last month
Virtual quilting weekend 5/8-5/10/20

I was using a specialty ruler that apparently I needed a refresher on, I originally cut my star blades too large. This picture shows an idea of the stars plus the snowball blocks.

The next picture is the back I will be using. I bought this at a thrift store and it has been in my stash for a long time. It is definitely 44/45 (pretty much straight on 45"), the printing goes to the selvedge with no manufacturer info. Is always so hard to tell with Juvenile prints, but I'm thinking this is early 80s? Could go down to late 60s. Anyone have any guesses or memories? The squares are 1", so the bunnies and things are 2-3".
Attached Thumbnails 100_5656.jpg   100_5755.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-23-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 AM

I am making good progress but running out of space to lay it on the floor to show anyone. I am getting ready to take all the pieces, enough for 20 blocks, into the living room and use that floor for a good visual. It is looking really nice. A picture will follow today or tomorrow once I get it laid out better. I know I am pleased with how it is coming along. What I do know is this will be a big quilt.