Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Sept 3-6, 2021

Old 09-05-2021, 11:57 AM

Thanks Raggie Mom for organizing this. I forgot it was a holiday weekend also. My sympathy to juliasb for losing your mom. That's a rough road. I am still working on a mock Cathedral Window quilt for my youngest daughter and I spent all afternoon yesterday sewing crumbs into blocks of 2. I just made 121 crumb blocks that measure 8 1/2" to make a king size quilt for our bed. I don't know how crumbs accumulate so fast. I thought I would use the latest bunch of crumbs to make pillows for our bed. I am also working on Pat Sloan's Summer Soiree and hopefully I will get those cut out tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:10 PM

I am beginning to think I was a bit ambitious for this challenge. Here it is Sunday and I only have a few HSTs put together for this block I am working on. Tomorrow I know I won't get any sewing done. Well maybe next time.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Sunday Check-in

Well after a rough yesterday, today I am focused and working fast and efficiently. WIP bag is taken care of and now in its semi-permanent spot, I found my collection of waterproof document bags that I use for project pouches and I'm in the process of moving my rotary blades out of my small toolbox into a smaller pouch so I can hang them with the rotary cutters. I have decided to get a 60mm cutter, just going to have to wait until later this month or next month to get it. Thank you, everyone, who told me about their experiences with it, I'm excited to get it and I'm hoping that maybe this will take care of the wrist fatigue I get sometimes cutting so much fabric.

I still have to wrangle the cords, I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to sitting down on the floor anymore; it hurts to stay down there too long, hurts on the way back up, and after looking things over, getting on the floor is my only option to get things under control. I still have the small area on my desk to contend with; just putting things back where they need to be and giving everything a good wipe down is all that's needed there.

I've designated tomorrow for putting the borders on my nephew's quilt, without fail, it gets done first thing. I am kicking myself for letting that pattern get to me the way that it did, it practically sucked the Sewjo right out of me. I know I've been using my hexagon quilt to avoid working on it, but that stops tomorrow long enough for me to get the borders done so I can get that monkey off my back.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:47 PM

WendyMcD -- I don't even know the brand, I bought it used from a weird local auction site I like. Sort of a cross between Ebay, Craigslist and Estate Sales, you do all the bidding and money stuff on line but you have to pick up locally.

My Bernina is such a beast it is heavy and too large for a lot of tables, this measures about 60x40",. The table is wood, on wheels, and very solid. Crank on the side lifts the entire top. I think the previous owner put on the electrical outlets, underneath there are (2) sets of 4 outlets, one on either end of the table along the middle.

So here's what the table corner looks like currently:
What are we organizing today 2021

But during last VQW, it looked more like the before version:
What are we organizing today 2021

Old 09-05-2021, 03:17 PM

Sunday evening, 7:15 PM.
1. Quilt one UFO - already layered and cut binding for the quilt. Quilting Done! Binding tomorrow.... maybe.
2. Sew Together Jacob's Ladder blocks - Press Started sewing the rows together, many more to go.
3. Make 4 of the Hands All Around Quilt Blocks - Not just four but 5! Whoo-Hoo! . One more to be caught up for the year. (Another block is posted on Wednesday. )
4. Make 4 of the Harriett's Journey blocks.

I am too pleased with my progress. It is time to leave the sewing machine and settle in for a old movie with a bowl of popcorn. Tomorrow is another day!
Old 09-05-2021, 04:31 PM

QuiltingVagabond--enjoy your retreat! Hope to see you at the OVQG one in November

MosquitoBait--so glad you're joining us

Nesie--it's never too late to join the party

juliasb--I think many of us think we're going to get way more done than we actually do. I figure if I get anything done at all, I'm further along than I was

WMUTeach--you're making progress!

I got the applique done on the three blocks (quiltdoodledesigns block of the month). Then I started working on my paper piecing project and got one block done so it was a good day. Tomorrow I'm quilting with several friends at a quilt shop so will check back in when I return home. Oh I forgot--I baked pumpkin chocolate chip cookies today too
Old 09-05-2021, 05:26 PM

Sunday evening check-in.

My desk is done. Instead of wiping everything down, I broke out my mini-vacuum and it was so much faster.

I still have to wrangle the cords, LOL. Fiance has been asking if I need help, I may go ahead and tell him that I do - just enough to get off of the floor when I'm done doing it all. Aside from putting my ironing table back together, putting it where it belongs, and cleaning off my sewing cabinet, I can call this endeavor done. I'm happy with the majority of the results, moving in and around it will let me know if I need to tweak it.

I attached a picture of the fat quarters I'm using for the table quilt I want to make, the one I took off the list of things I wanted to get going this weekend. I think I made a smart decision on that; even though I'm feeling a thousand percent better from yesterday, I've still been lagging enough today that I think it would have put too much on me tonight and tomorrow. The lower row of fat quarters is hand-dyed.

Stopping for most of the evening to give me and my brain a rest; I keep forgetting to use my timer when I'm decluttering/cleaning and I push myself too far to get as much done as I can. The flipside to that is I really like the progress I made today.
Attached Thumbnails harvesttime.jpg  
Old 09-06-2021, 04:45 AM

Rrbrat- beautiful selection of fabrics. Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

I finished all the 16 patches for the September Coloblock quilt, then had to run down to Williamsburg, so didn’t get any more done in the studio. The August Colorblock quilt is on my big cutting table ready for it’s final trim and the binding is all cut and ready to go. I was short two strips of the binding fabric, so had to substitute 2 strips from another fabric that is in the quilt. Will need to futz about a bit to determine placement of the alternate fabric, which may mean it doesn’t get done before I need to run out this afternoon.

Rob
Old 09-06-2021, 05:18 AM

Am enjoying looking at what some of you gals are working on. I'm just not up to much after my tear duct surgery on Friday. The motivation just is not there. I know it will come back.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 AM

I got a night gown for myself done this weekend. During this last week I got a baby panel quilted and a binding on it, Made a pillow case and cleaned my sewing room. This week wasn't to bad of week for sewing. I pray that all the family losses and problems with health will heal.