Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-mart - LQS type Prints and fabric "familes" ??? >

Wal-mart - LQS type Prints and fabric "familes" ???

Wal-mart - LQS type Prints and fabric "familes" ???

Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 AM

I will have to check me Walmart - they just revamped the 3 in the area and got rid of all their fabric except for FQ - I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will bring fabric yardage back in at least one of them
Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Can you let us know what brands / manufacturers these new fabrics are made by? Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
So I ran to Wal-mart yesterday afternoon to pick up some work supplies. As I meandered through the store I saw they are remodeling a lot.

I went to to the back of the store and the entire craft / sewing area was being revamped and rearranged.

Well as I looked they had a bunch of fabric on carts being brought out. Now I want to start by saying I realize that Wal-Mart fabric is a different grade than LQS, but the prints they were bringing out were WONDERFUL! On top of that, they have "families" of fabrics just like my LQS has. So you didn't have to guess if it would coordinate or not.

I just wanted to put this out there. If they indeed are going to have this moving forward (it's never been offered in my area before) I'm super excited. I love my LQS, but this would be a great alternative for doing quilts that when you're budget is tight, or you want more bang for your buck, etc.

Did I mention the price on it was anywhere from 3.75 to 4.50 a yard? I didn't have time to pick any up yesterday, but plan on going after work today to get some just to try it out.
Our local WM quit selling fabric a couple yrs back,but are SUPPOSE to be bringing it back I sure will be glad.I live in a rural area.We have to drive 43 to 45 miles to get fabric around here.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM

I've purchased a lot of fabric from WalMart. I have even seen the same fabric there that I saw at JoAnn's Fabrics for about 1/2 the price. Our WalMart never closed the fabric department but it did shrink. I have noticed they have been getting in more of a variety but have not expanded. It just seems more crowded. Oh well, the quality seems better and I just bought enough material to make an entire quilt. Washed and dried the material and it turned out pretty good.

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
our local walmart has really amazing fabric now, when all the LQS went out of business in the area they really pumped up the quality and the stock to meet the need of the additional consumers now.

my opinion has changed on the quality of walmart fabric at least in my area - i have some fabric from Connecting Threads that is most loved on this forum and the quality from CT is extremely inferior to the quality i can get at my local walmart and at half the price.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
Would wash and dry before using to help prevent uneven shrinking. go for it!!
I use their fabric frequently--in my experience, it does not shrink/fade/ etc any differently than LQS fabrics. Just doesn't have quite as "silky" feel.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 AM

This is great news! I'm going to check my stores today! And it would be just fine for wallhangings that don't get washed much or placemats that you want to change out alot! The LQS are dwindling here so this will help if I'm in a bind for a quick project too. Thanks for the update!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 AM

Believe it or not, we have three WalMart stores in our city. Only one of them sells fabric though. Guess I'll have to make a trip there to see if they have these new fabrics. I so miss fabrics in my WalMart. :(
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 AM

I hope a Walmart near me starts carrying fabrics again. Have fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM

oh to visit wal mart . trouble is I live in england.big sigh , oh well .
Old 04-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Monday I was in Washington, NC and their Walmart had lovely fabrics. Of course, I indulged. Their offering was amazing with beautiful prints. Prices were $2.00 to $4.97 for quilting cottons. I bought a nice cotton beige/grey/white for backing at $1.50. They also had their monthly quilt pattern posted. The lady cutting said that they never stopped carrying fabrics. I certainly hope they get fabrics to the Elizabeth City, NC "wally" soon and that they are as gorgeous as the stock in Washington, NC.