Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart pre cuts >

walmart pre cuts

walmart pre cuts

Old 06-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

That is pretty. I have never bought any walmart precuts.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 AM

My humble opinion..for what it is worth...

When Walmart got rid of their bolts of fabric after so many of us begging them to reconsider.....it is the principle of the thing for me. I refuse to even consider their precuts. My thinking..maybe warped :? I will not buy what they "think" was better for me..ie..bolts verses precuts. If sales are good in precuts..justifies their decision. Sounds as if I hold a grudge??? :D Honestly, not really!!LOL!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM

The highest price WM fabric is about like the ones @
JoAnn's....but u know JA has been having 30% off lately and is more inexpensive than WM! I have used the precuts and was ok with it but i noticed that one pk after washing came out thinner feeling but it could have been that one pk. I do like their WM selection of bundle (fq's) and the jelly rolls though. Like some says....what 1 works for you may not do for others.... :)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 AM

I have purchased Walmart fabric many times, and find, as I do with QS fabric, that some is better than others. I've made many quilts from WM fabric that have held up quite well. I've also had poor quality fabric from there, as well as from quilt shops. When you give a quilt gift, it's sort of up to the recipient how it gets treated. Some will be used for dog beds, others hung on the wall for show only. Quality doesn't matter sometimes.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ddrobins1956
You know, it really depends on what kind of a quilt you are making. If you are making a childs quilt or a comfy quilt to be used on the couch etc. then I don't see anything wrong with using bargain fabric. It may not be top of line quality and would not be used for making an heirloom quilt, but I for one could not spend as much time doing what I love if I were forced to buy all of my fabric from quilt shops etc. Don't get me wrong, I love and support my local quilt shop, but I don't buy ALL of my fabric there. I'm glad we have a choice. Also, it would be hard to make and give charity quilts without Wallmart prices.
I agree 100%. Walmart fabric is not the best, but for utility quilts, kids or wall hangings it is fine. For that special heirloom - support your local quilt store as there is a difference.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 AM

Some of it is good and some not. You can tell by the touch if it's too flimsy or not. Our town Walmart had horrible fat quarters, charm packs and such but go to a neighboring town and there fat quarters are higher quality and a better selection.

Our Walmart is till in the left over modes from stores that got rid of there fabric for the most part and is suppose to be redone in August.

The other Walmart was redone in April and although they did downsize the fabric department they do have bolts that to me look like left overs as well from other stores and not good quality IMHO but they did put in a good sized pre-cuts area of fat quarters, charm packs and those are of excellent quality.

I can however get brand name quality fabric at our LQS in this same town on the $1.98 and $2.98 table when they move some on it to make room for new fabrics that come in. I have bought Westminster fabric and other brand names for $1.98 a yard which normally sells for $7.95 on up a yard.

With Walmart you just have to be careful of what you buy. Touch and feel it. If you can see through it's to thin, if it feels flimsy it's to thin and not worth buying.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 AM

I really like the fabric LOVE the prices, and since I'm a newbie I buy! I understand some saying its poorer quality but it seems to wear like iron! I have washed my first lap quilt a dozen times and it didn't fade...now it is ugly but it WON"T wear out!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 AM

HI
I just cut out some 3 1/2" blocks last night with solid pink and purple precut fabric from Walmart and I am not to crazy about the quality of their fabric.
NormaBeth
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM

I have never had a problem with the Walmart fat quarters. I made the butterfly out of a package.
However, I did buy the 2 yard pack and used it to put a narrow trim on 20 quilt blocks. When i got to the 20th block, the 4th side, the fabric ripped on the thread line. (This is not a joke.). I had to rip off 80 trim pieces. I went to the Amish quilt shop and bought different fabric to replace it.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator

there will be a variety of opinions about the precuts walmart has been carrying for several months. the same can fairly be said about factory cut/packed precuts sold elsewhere.

we heard from those who've seen a significant difference between the selection of packs.

i'm sure i'm not the only person here who has paid as much or more for fabrics of different brands and from other sources only to have it perform below the expectations "set" by the price.

i must confess ... i personally tend to shy away from any fabrics from any source that are packed in such a way that i can't get a good look and feel before i decide.

But i also know i'm very fortunate in having a wide variety of choices regarding where and what i buy.

i think we can summarize this topic by saying that some of the precut packs are bargains and some are not.

unless somebody can contribute suggestions regarding ways we can tell the difference (regardless of where we are shopping) it might be time to bring this conversation to a close.