Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, Call Me an Idiot... >

Well, Call Me an Idiot...

Well, Call Me an Idiot...

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

This is my boyfriend's outlook too! IF i would go to the gym more often, for longer, i would feel better. IF i would do more "stuff" i would feel better. The problem is IF i do that stuff then I'm down for even longer.

Have you read the spoon theory? It really has helped me explain things to people.

Originally Posted by moonangel12
This is so reassuring to hear, not that I want people to be in pain, but to know that I am not alone. I am the only one I know IRL that has fibro (except for maybe my dad) and no one seems to understand. My mom's philosophy is that if I just did MORE, went to the gym more, etc. I would feel tons better b/c that's what works for her. I did 15 min. in the pool last week and literally could not walk by dinner time. It's good to know I'm not crazy, lazy, or just making things up. I really do hurt more if I do too much! DUH! I always thought that to be the case, but with everyone telling me otherwise it was hard to truly believe it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 AM

moonangel12, so happy to have you recognize that you are not alone. That is such an awful feeling when you have no one to talk to or share experiences with, and start to doubt your own mind and body.
Jot down our names and PM anytime you need to talk. We all understand and have been and will be there many times. Take care, Linda
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM

If you see that you are not going to get them done in time, have someone take a pic of you working on them. Wrap that up and send it. They will be waiting anxiously for the real thing when it is done.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM

my dear, you need to think of you too as you do these things; easier said than done, I know... I just finished shampooing my carpeting - have my bedroom left, but after Thanksgiving for that... but my right arm is about to break off right below the shoulder!!! The shampooer got heavier with each push and pull............. now on to your problem.

Send a very pretty Christmas card and an IOU decorated real pretty (maybe using another Christmas card as a cutout) and if they know they are getting a quilt from you - send a picture of it - so they know it is in progress! They will understand. I did one for my dgd one year and my dgs felt left out so I promised him one the next year, and he is such an understanding little man - just 8 years old, and when he got his he was so much more appreciative of it... and cuddled in it in my lap even though it was single bed sized!!! So, although things do not get done in time always and we feel bad, children do understand more than we give them credit for - and a Christmas IOU is such a cute idea to help solve the dilemma.

So, happy sewing, take breaks, (and medications) and enjoy the moment! Best wishes from another quilter...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Isn't it interesting how we forget our maladies when we are sewing/cutting/quilting?! I recently did the same thing. Wore myself out and had to take almost a week off. Tsk! Must remember I am not a spring chicken any more and I don't rebound like I used to! I had Lyme disease and, while I usually am just fine, I get overly tired easily and can't seem to bounce back. Woe is me! Tee Hee Hee. Seriously, I try to pace myself but sometimes I just get so into the project I forget. Tsk. :thumbdown:
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone! Just an update. Managed to sew all the flying geese yesterday and "only" have pain in right hand. I don't know why because I'm a lefty! Anyhow, I'm going to assemble the stars (the quilt is called Dancing with the Stars) now. They should be a cake walk! Enjoyed all your wonderful thoughts and comments. I am also here is anyone needs to vent!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:09 PM

I have Rhemutoid A and Fibro...and other things to go along with it so i can tatally understand...today has bee a pain pill day for me !!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

I KNOW ,I HAVE FIBRO TOO,SOME DAYS ARE SO BAD..........I FEEL FOR YOU.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM

I feel for you and every one else, too. I am also a fibro sufferer. Shape and pace, rest, medication and one of those bags that go in the microwave (I can't even feel the heat anymore on certain body parts) provide a bit of relief. Some days, all I want to do is cry. I wish I had more good days. Sorry for whining....thnx for listening
Old 11-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Huggggggs marmalade, it's ok, everyone needs a good cry now and then. And a good whine with cheese and crackers is our right as humans!! It's just so great to know that so many others on this awesome board understand. I love how quilting turns out to be the perfect hobby for those of us who share so many difficulties. We can always stop, whatever we are doing, and it will be right there waiting for us when we are able to come back to it. The paint doesn't dry up, the beads don't spill cuz the cat walked on them, the glue isn't full of furbaby hair. Our fabric is right where we left it, waiting. The worst thing that might happen is our iron might have shut itself off, LOL.
Quilting brings me so much joy and gives me back the ability to feel productive and making a useful contribution once again.