Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your notions in? >

What do you carry your notions in?

What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-07-2016, 05:40 AM

I purchased a travel case for my "notions" a few years ago. It is called an Omnigrid (registered trademark). This case has both hand and shoulder carrying options. It is about 14" square and 3" deep. Zips. When open, the top portion has elastic holders for threads, scissors, cutters, pens, etc; plastic holders in a variety of sizes for other necessities. It is very versatile and can be purposed for what you need. The bottom portion has a mesh insert which measures 13 X 14" and handles my "quilt blocks" in various stages of development.
There is enough room (depth) for a plastic case of other notions, reading glasses, quilting pin container, large spool of thread, 12" ruler & other templates, etc., etc.
Usually, I carry it to classes over my shoulder, but when needing to travel with a machine and material I refer to my self as a pack horse with a roller luggage carrier.
I have not seen this at any of the quilt shops nor at the Maine Quilt Show, nor have I seen any quilter in classes or guild group have one.
Good Luck.
I can't remember where I bought it, but am sure it was an on line purchase.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 AM

This is so cute. Did you have a pattern or did you make your own?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I got a couple of notebook zipper bags last year at Walmart in August when school supplies came out. They are out of a heavy duty fabric with a clear plastic window. Love them. Wish I got more of them.
Oh I like this idea, have to check it out
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM

When I used to go up to church to sew with our quilting group, I had a toolbox, a regular "bought it at the hardware store" toolbox. I still have it, but I don't generally go anywhere else to quilt but my sewing room these days.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 AM

@dms and rryder (and anyone else who made the bionic bag) - how difficult was the bag to make? I'm a fairly new sewer and zippers scare me.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 AM

I have a large clinique clear plastic bag I use. It has a heavy duty zipper and I can easily see what I need.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM

I carry my smaller things, like pins,rotary cutter,seam ripper and scissors,etc.. in a tin that used to have Cadbury Lady finger cookies in it. My pin magnet is the type that has a cover on it, so no worries that they will fall out.
Sharon
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM

Couldn't you always make a special carrying case? You really wouldn't even need a pattern. Just lay all the items down and mark the space you'd need for each item...
Old 07-07-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Laura in Maine View Post
I purchased a travel case for my "notions" a few years ago. It is called an Omnigrid (registered trademark). This case has both hand and shoulder carrying options. It is about 14" square and 3" deep. Zips. When open, the top portion has elastic holders for threads, scissors, cutters, pens, etc; plastic holders in a variety of sizes for other necessities. It is very versatile and can be purposed for what you need. The bottom portion has a mesh insert which measures 13 X 14" and handles my "quilt blocks" in various stages of development.
There is enough room (depth) for a plastic case of other notions, reading glasses, quilting pin container, large spool of thread, 12" ruler & other templates, etc., etc.
Usually, I carry it to classes over my shoulder, but when needing to travel with a machine and material I refer to my self as a pack horse with a roller luggage carrier.
I have not seen this at any of the quilt shops nor at the Maine Quilt Show, nor have I seen any quilter in classes or guild group have one.
Good Luck.
I can't remember where I bought it, but am sure it was an on line purchase.
I have the same tote. i purchased mine at a LQS but I've seen them in many places that sell omnigrid rulers.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 PM

I repurposed a firm plastic electric razor case that my DH was discarding. It even has a zip closure. I can fit a scissors, spool of thread, needles (hand and machine), thimble, quilt pins in a small case, extra rotary blades, and my lunch money.
I've also used a school pencil case that has grommets to make it binder friendly. It's a bit lumpy but it accommodates a larger shears and my rotary cutter.