Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your notions in? >

What do you carry your notions in?

What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Bionic gear bag is what I use currently
I made two Bionic Gear Bags. One is kept with my FW ready for quilting groups and the other is filled with all my handwork needs. That way I don't have to keep switching stuff from here to there and losing stuff. Everything is kept together for whatever project I'm working on. This works for me.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:14 AM

Talking Bionic gear bag

Originally Posted by Kristin476 View Post
@dms and rryder (and anyone else who made the bionic bag) - how difficult was the bag to make? I'm a fairly new sewer and zippers scare me.
I would say that a confident advanced beginner could make this bag. While I have done a lot of piecing and quilting I have not done much in the way of other kinds of sewing. Other than making quilts, The only things I have sewn have been tote bags (very easy ones) and 35 years ago I made a couple of men's shirts and a bathrobe. I don't think I had ever put in a zipper before making the bionic gear bag.

The pattern directions are very clear, but the woman who made the pattern also gives you links to her videos that will take you step by step through the process if you need extra help. I read through the pattern and then watched the videos before I started and didn't have any problems making the bag. It does take a while to make. It probably took me 16 hours from start to finish, but is was a lot of fun to do.

Rob
Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 PM

I have two things to carry notions in, but plan to make more. I made a mat for my sewing machine and added several pockets - I use this for my seam ripper, thread snips and many small items. I also got a caddy a few years ago at JAF for the remainder. There is a pattern on Sew 4 Home you really may want to look at. It's a caddy that would be great for organizing notions.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM

For years I used an inexpensive tackle box. They are similar to expensive ones in the craft department but much less expensive! Mine had a single big compartment and a second divided compartment. Scissors, bobbin donuts, threads, rotary cutters - all went on the bottom. Needle packs, snips, gauges went on the top.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:09 PM

I use a couple of Dad’s cigar boxes with a rubber band to keep them closed for small things. Graphics are beautiful. He didn’t smoke cigars but he kept receipts in them by year. Boxes along with many other things goes in a large plastic basket with a handle. A lot like the blue baskets at the door of Walmart.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:16 AM

I have a medium market basket from Longerburger that carries all my little items to quilt retreats. It is always packed and ready to go.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 AM

My sewing machine roller case came with 3 diff types of notion and fabric totes...bought at Joann's
Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I also use the bionic carrier. But, originally I used a hard train case for traveling that was my mom's.
The one nice thing about it was it locked with it's own little key.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 AM

I have a 9x6" tri-fold pouch that I am using right now. We are getting ready to make new notion pouches at our guild meeting in April. So for now this is what I am using. I love it and and it is very handy for everything I need.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-kit-closed.jpg   sewing-kit-open.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 AM

I like to get together with others to sew frequently. I have duplicates of most of those types of things so I can just grab the bag and go. I got mine at local quilt store but is available on Amazon. It is the “Yazzii” Hand Quilter’s Project Bag. It is 13 x 11 with lots of zippered pockets. It is made really well and has held up great. Worth the money if you go a lot.