Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s??? >

What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

Old 07-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Make quick quilts, give to women's/men's shelter/homeless. They will keep them warm, and last forever. Or - give to goodwill.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 AM

It's not hideous, just polyester. How about making placemats or casserole totes or doll clothes or wall hangings - something that's not precisely a quilt. I love the plaid one. If you had enough of it, you could make a kilt/skirt for a little girl. Or cut them up and make rag rugs. Good luck - that's a lot of fabric to find a use for.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I think I've seen quilts made out of that stuff but I just don't think I would like it. There are about 18 yards of it. Any ideas? [ATTACH=CONFIG]351797[/ATTACH]
don't send it to the landfill, because it would never disintegrate! seriously, how about donating it to the local thrift store? maybe someone else could find a need for it.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM

One of my first quilts which I still have was applique of a little boy walking his dog. The polyster was used for the applique of which my grandmother had me put on a cut up sheet. I then hand appliqued the blocks and sashed them with red bandana fabric. It came out nice I screwed up when I decided that since the winter was verrrrrrrrrryyyyyy cold that year it needed a very heavy batting so I took another quilt and used that uggggggggggg what a mess to quilt. My son called it his blankie mattress. Good memories but I can see I have come along way. Some of those fabrics would be cute simple sunbonnet sues.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 AM

I had boxes of polyester given to me years ago; yards and yards of every color you can imagine. My sister in-in-law gave me a great idea. She said pick out the colors you like the best and cut them to the size you can use as table cloths for your dinning room table. I did just that and turned the edges and ran a zizzag stitch, or you can serge them. I now have cloths in red, navy, wine and gold that that make wonderful holiday decor for any season. The good part is that they wash up great and when they come out of the dryer, NO IRONING!!!! The rest, I donated to a thrift store. PS They also make great throws for napping, or carrying in the car. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM

When our ladies get some of this material we use it for doggie blankets or pillows and even in lap quilts for nursing homes. We use everything we get. :-)
Annie
Old 07-28-2012, 11:13 AM

Make dog and cat beds for the animal shelter..this fabric is perfect for that..stuff the beds with the fabric scraps.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM

If you have any that are double sided, you can just cut it and run a blanket stitch around the edge. Makes great wheelchair throws for nursing homes. You can cut 20 x 20 squares and stuff them for pllows for the humane society. I have a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that someone made me when I graduated from high school (more than 40 years ago) and it looks just like it did when I got it. That stuff is indestructible!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Cut it into 6"-8" blocks and sew together. Line without batting and use for picnics or camping our outdoor table cloths. Can't wear it out.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tutt View Post
I received a quilt top that my grandmother made out of polyester and I backed it with a birthed it with a sheet and hand tied with yarn and it's on our bed everything the power goes out in the winter. Warmest blanket we own. Don't give it away, make yourself a "utility" quilt out of it. You may need it some day!
This is an option that I would have never thought of. Nice, warm and durable.