Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 AM

I've often thought if I was very industrious (I'm not yet!) and had a giant stack of quilts at Christmas time, I would just let people choose which one they want

My sister in law wrapped all her quilts in the same type box, wrote a # on them from 1-9 (had nine siblings), then had each sibling draw a card..they got the quilt that corresponded to the card they drew...she wanted each of her siblings to have something she made (the quilts were ones she'd made in the previous 3-4 years.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 AM

this may sound a bit selfish.. but I have quite a few of the quilts I've made.. I've given a quilt to the kids and grands, and in-laws and others.. I've made charity quilts by the stack, baby quilts that are donated here in our own city, I've also made Quilts of Valor, but I also Love my quilts and want to use them.. I change them out often.. I put a new one on the guest bed as often as I like.. I put new ones out over the top of the couch and the back of the easy chair at the change of season.. I like to enjoy my quilts, so I don't just make them and give them away. My husband has asked the same question, I telll him "these are my legacy, they will go to the kids and grandkids in time." Like others I get 'the look', but not a lot of argument.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 AM

Most of mine have been given as gifts, I did sell one baby quilt (was asked to make it), and my son's girlfriend wants to buy a baby quilt, a few bibs and a few burp cloths I have made. I have 2 that I made that I use for couch blankies (have flannel inside instead of batting). One of these days, I would like to make a quilt for my bed, it now has a walmart quilt on it!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:30 AM

I made all my boy's and there wives quilts for Christmas last year. I made all my grandchildren quilts as well 2 yrs before that. I have given them as gifts, donate some of them to shelters, to Methodist Hospital for the kids, I make them for donations for a benefit around our area, I have made them for raffles, Now that everyone has one, I keep them back and if I need a gift for something I give that. Like one of the other ladies said. You have money in a quilt, it is something that has a personal touch to it and love put into it. Cannot find a better gift. I give allot of mine away. I love to see the smiles it brings to a face getting the quilt. Its priceless in a child.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 AM

I would love to make quilt after quilt but I really can't afford that. So I only make quilts on demand or for a specific need.
I console myself by making art quilts instead. I still get to use beautiful material and sew to my heart's content. Check my blog.
MaryKatherine
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 AM

I, too, am pretty new at quilting, but have been pretty industrious since beginning in January. I've made three full size quilts for my MIL, mom& grandmother for Mothers day. Several lap quilts for my husband, 3 daughters, dad and one for the cats. One baby quilt for a young girl that was having a very rough pregnancy (everything turned out well in the end) and 4 wall quilts, 1 for my aunt's b-day, 1 for me and 2 for my youngest daughter, who swears everything I make is hers! Currently, I am working on a lap quilt for my oldest daughter and her fiancé as they are closing on their first home next week. I think that about sums it up! Oh and a set of four potholders for my oldest daughter too.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 AM

I give them away to my children, grandchildren, family...I have them on sofas, chairs and the wall...I have them stacked in cabinets (I tell my family I am making enough so that the next 2 or 3 generations can all have a "new" quilt from Nanny. No kidding, I have them everywhere. This is my only hobby and I don't feel that I have to justify how many I make to anyone. If they don't want them when I die, they can give them away or sell them for $2.00 at a garage sale!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Mine are mainly gifts and charity, although I sometimes manage one for ourselves.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM

My first one is for our KING size bed (how is that for crazy, the first one I made was king size)....the second one is on the guest bed..........third one went to my wonderful Mom-in-law; the next one was my daughter; next one to a friend just starting on a divorce (and very sad).....from there, I have made them for friends all over the USA........it seems like just about the time I get one done, I come across somebody who really needs a hug.........last one went to a friend who is in the community band with me, just starting on chemo for breast cancer; a need always pops up, that I want to send a hug to.... I also try to get 2 a week done for Project Linus (these are smaller, of course, so are made faster).
I am always on the look out for good sales on fabric; it does cost a bit to make and give a quilt to someone who needs it. I have made several for our two grandbabies (and so far, have not seen any of those being used, when we are at their house - I have a kinda strange DIL, I think).....anyways, what we do as quilters is very special, and I think there are times when God has a need for one of us to do something special for somebody who needs it!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM

At present I have 4 quilts ready for binding, 1 to go to long arm quilter, 1 (155 blocks) ready for assembly and quilt #25 on the drawing board., I LOVE scrap quilts, designing and piecing. Have given a few quilts as gift but it's hard to part with my "babies"! Oldest daughter got one for 40th B'day but youngest "doesn't want one of my quilts". 5 are due to be entered in our county fair next month (last year won 3 first places for 3 quilts entered). I just love to quilt - all 4 grandkids have quilts too and am considering selling one or two on request.

Last edited by norwalkgma; 07-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.