Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make? >

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

What Do You Do With The Quilts You Make?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:19 PM

I have a friend & her husband said when you die I am going to take your fabric to the funeral home,and everybody
that comes to your funeral can choose a piece of fabric.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM

All of my finished quilts have found their new homes. The WIPs and UFOs mostly have designated recipients...including one that I've claimed for myself. The unclaimed ones will find homes eventually, most likely when a friend or family member sees one and asks "is that one mine?".
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM

I love the process of making quilts =I have given each daughter and grandaughters a couple each - the rest are on a spare bed and on the closets,,,
Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I feel horrible. I have never given a quilt to charity. I give them to family only, and to my husband. I buy the expensive fabric and have them LA quilted and I don't know if I could spend that much money on a quilt and then give it to charity. That would be like $250. Am I horrible??? I don't machine quilt, so I can't defray the cost of the quilt by doing it myself. I give them as Christmas, Anniversary, birthday, etc. gifts. I just don't know if I could donate one. Now I feel bad. I read how all of you donate so many of your quilts. 20 a month? I don't make that many in a year. I feel guilty for not donating. Maybe I could make pillowcases and donate them, but I just can't do a $250 quilt.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I feel horrible. I have never given a quilt to charity. I give them to family only, and to my husband. I buy the expensive fabric and have them LA quilted and I don't know if I could spend that much money on a quilt and then give it to charity. That would be like $250. Am I horrible??? I don't machine quilt, so I can't defray the cost of the quilt by doing it myself. I give them as Christmas, Anniversary, birthday, etc. gifts. I just don't know if I could donate one. Now I feel bad. I read how all of you donate so many of your quilts. 20 a month? I don't make that many in a year. I feel guilty for not donating. Maybe I could make pillowcases and donate them, but I just can't do a $250 quilt.
no reason you should feel guilty- it's your hobby and what you do with your quilts is your business. i don't do QFK or project linus either. I do donate a quilt or two a year for a charity auction my DD is involved with. I have nothing against those groups, i'm just particular about what I support-my church-4H-specific charities. It's great that there are people that can contribute multiple quilts but i doubt many can really afford to.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM

I have some for us that we use on our beds and the rest have gone to family or donated.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I'm a newbie. First quilt is on our bed. 2nd quilt is waiting for first great granddaughter, 3rd quilt given to our oldest son, 4th quilt (I'm working on it now) is for our granddaughter, next quilt (in waiting) is for our bed because first quilt is going to oldest granddaughter. Don't know about the rest because I've got several kits and several packages of fabric bought for specific patterns. I'm not worried about where they are going. At this point, quilting is my "sanity".
I agree with the "sanity" part...but I have such little time to quilt that most of the time I am a bit grouchy. I would love to have a stack of MY quilts sitting in the basket next to the rocking chair instead of the fleece blankets that sit there now. Someday that fabric that I have set aside for each "specially thought out" quit will be all put together in a wonderful group of quilts that hang from the quilt ladder that will be made also.
Working for a living takes too much time---really cuts into my quilting time...but I am happy to be employed after so much time looking for a job!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Quilting keeps me in good health! I'm certain that if I hadn't started quilting when I retired, I would have become lost without enough to do. I make quilts (or items) to sell, for special occasions in our family, for donations to various causes, and as gifts to friends. My husband receives an anniversary quilt each year. No question from anyone what they might receive from me for a wedding gift. Sometimes, family doesn't respond with as much thrill as I might have had in making it but it's the love that went into it that matters. A thank you card might be all I hear back. Young people can be like that.
Our pets love quilts and show their appreciation by using every quilted item they can access. So, our furniture and surfaces have quilts/quilted items that are rotated depending on the season. They're washable and protect the furniture in the long run. Items I keep may be 'experiments' and either are exceptional or just good enough for day-to-day use. What else would I do with my stash????
Someday, family will inherit items I've made to do with as they see fit. Just as I've always cherished what my grandmother made decades ago. I believe she felt as I do now. And, I'm glad to have some of her still with me and I love the memories. Perhaps that'll carry on in my family too.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
We are all living in different circumstances in our lives. I am with you. I volunteer my time but I could not afford to donate a quilt. I spend so much time and effort (I hand quilt and enjoy it)..that the quilt is mine when I ever get one completed. We still have 2 kids to get through college and that is where my priorities lie. That is o.k. and I bless those that can quilt away and donate those lovely quilts....they are generous and thoughtful people. Soooo, if there is anything that I have learned from this board....they are a group of wonderful, caring, POSITIVE individuals who do not judge and are the most supportive group that i know. DO NOT feel guilty....you are among friends who care!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:29 PM

I've kept a couple for my use at home, but I usually give them as gifts to my family snd friends. I have also donated them for a good cause. It's hard to part with them, though.