Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing? >

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM

I would go ahead and "hem" it down as you plan....depending on how big the area is, you could consider putting a label over it. I've hidden many a booboo with a cute label......sometimes as big as an 8" square!

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I was thinking about 'hemming' the folds down after I'm finished, but I didn't know if that would make it worse or not. This is a challenge quilt that required all solid fabrics. The darned thing has to go into our local show next year. I was going to give it away after that, but I don't think I could with the back looking so bad.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM

I just IGNORE them!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:34 AM

I heard someone call the tucks or folds 'kisses', that sounded good to me.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 AM

If it is near the top quarter section it might be a good spot for a "feature", as in hanky pocket to keep one in during the sniffles. I often wished I had a little larger hanky pocket for a hat I like to wear to bed on cold nights but can never seem to find, even when I put under my pillow for next time.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:59 AM

I've recently done this too. I made a quilt for an elderly neighbor who moved away so she would have something to remember me by. I know she will absolutely love it and would never notice the loose fabric in the backing, but it really bugs me. She and I did a lot of crafty things together when she lived here and she was not a perfectionist by a long shot. I know what I did wrong and will do better in the future (I hope!). I don't usually quilt anything larger than a crib quilt but didn't want to take the time to send it to a long armer. I laid it out on a sheet on my driveway and spray basted it, smoothing each layer as best I could. I forgot about reading that others tape the backing so it won't move. As much as it bugs me, I'm going to leave the puckers there and tell her it's not my best work, but I did it with love.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM

I have this same problem on one I am working on right now. Its very frustrating. I did the glue basiting for some reason it is not working very well on this quilt. (this quilt is cursed - painters tape won't stick to it either) I picked the quilting out on 1 fold and was able to requilt and took care of it. There are 2 others that I am going to get the seam ripper and try to fix those tonight... its a solid backing and it really shows Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM

I say bad words. No kidding around, I would follow AuderyB advice.

Last edited by sewingsuz; 11-13-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Sorry, I would have to take the quilting out and redo it. I'm not a perfectionist, but that would really bother me and I would not be able to do anymore quilting on it until it was fixed.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
After the temper tantrum stops, I take out the quilting and fix it if it is on a solid back. On a patterned back, I have used an invisible ladder stitch to stitch the fold down and if I didn't point it out, you would never see it. I highly recommend patterned backing fabric.
Is someplace you can hand stitch some appliqués for a reversible quilt?
Using patterned fabric is one of the best ways to hide small unmentionables on the backing. It also camouflages funky quilting stitches. I use printed fabric for every backing on every quilt I make. It also makes the quilt reversible.

A little more work on your part will correct the folds and make you happy again. I think the fabric just wasn't tight enough when basting. You will be able to minimize this by unstitching those few spots and move the fabric around and re stitch. I have even done hand stitching to even out these little folds after un sewing the area affected.

What ever you decide to do, I want to see the whole quilt!
peace
Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 AM

Ignore it! Sometimes it happens. Once you wash it your the only one who will notice. Now it's a whole different story if you plan on entering it in a judged quilt show!