Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing? >

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

What Do You Do With Tucks and Folds in Your Backing?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
I agree! what do some say about an 'error' or 'mistake' turning into a 'design choice'! Think outside the box for a minute...I'm sure you'll come up with a cool design feature!

Nan
I agree, tuck the edge of a label into the worst fold and stitch it down then scatter other sayings or info into or over any other bad spots!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM

I just realize that my quilt has wrinkles just like me. Then next time I make sure that my backing is smooth before I quilt Happens to all of us at one time or another
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I was thinking about 'hemming' the folds down after I'm finished, but I didn't know if that would make it worse or not. This is a challenge quilt that required all solid fabrics. The darned thing has to go into our local show next year. I was going to give it away after that, but I don't think I could with the back looking so bad.
Sorry but I think you should take out the quilting. since this is a challenge quilt and will be put in a show then it needs to be almost perfect with no noticible flaws such as you have. also you might really be embarrassed to show others this is your best work. If you are just going to keep the quilt then you may not want to rip the quilting out. However since you asked us then it sounds like it is really bothering you. Nothing is perfect but there are degree of imperfection.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Tucks

Here is the finished backing. I ended up "hemming" just the worst small section that had a 1/4" fold and left the rest alone. The front turned out okay, and that is really the only part that matters for this quilt since it's not going to be judged, just displayed.

Here is a thread on the front if you're interested in seeing that: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t235999.html

I'm proud of myself for not pointing out the disappointing back in that thread even though I wanted to confess my sins. I don't know why we all so desperately want to point out our quilt's flaws.
Attached Thumbnails tucks-3.jpg  

Last edited by JENNR8R; 12-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Can you fold and stitch down so it is not seen.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Can you fold and stitch down so it is not seen.
Look at Post No. 34...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 AM

Yea! It looks great to me and it is finished!!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
You need to prepare the back so this doesnt happen next time. Once this happens just go on and find out how to avoid it next time.
I agree with both snipforfun and Peckish. Hopefully, maybe washing will give the quilt back a more crinkled look. I was taught back in the 80s, when machine quilting, use a busy print on the back so that mistakes wouldn't be as visible as with a light neutral print. We all learn from our mistakes. I give you a big thumbs up for trying something different with basting the quilt. I always check that the fabric is smooth by running my hand lightly over the back of the quilt before it goes under the needle.