Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting? >

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I absolutely LOVE that idea! The elderly get cold so easily, and so many of them are the "forgotten ones". I will definitely start doing that!
From a former nurse who has worked in long term care facilities...use fabrics that can stand up to abuse. If the residents do not have families who take their laundry home to wash the detergents used at the facility can give the items a real bruising.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 AM

Wish I had that problem. I've been quilting for years and years and still don't have a quilt I sleep under!! Requests from family and gift occasions keep me busy quilting full time.......Wish I COULD accumulate a quilt stash!!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 AM

If there's a VA Hospital in your area, you could make wheelchair quilts. There are numerous groups -- Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, Marine Comfort Quilts, that are more than thankful to receive quilts.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 AM

I don't think I will ever catch up with requests for quilts - so I don't have that problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:00 AM

I mostly give my quilts to family and friends. When I'm making it sometimes it doesn't have a home, then someone comes over and falls in love and takes it home.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM

I am about to begin my 14th grandbaby quilt. As long as no one gets pregnant, I will finally have made one for each. Next I have 5 of my 9 children to make for. In between I make charity quilts, and for gifts. After many years I finally made one for myself this past year. Once the family is done, I am hoping to make quilts for Shriners hospital, for all they have done for my daughter over many years
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Most of my quilts are for 2 charity quilt groups that I sew with/for; The Linus Connection and Thank You Quilters. It's a joy to make quilts for people who don't complain about the quilt not matching their decor and specific color scheme.
I've been making charity quilts for about 25 years. I firmly believe, that God gave me the ability and talents to make quilts for the neediest of His people. I recently wanted to stop making these quilts; that night I had a dream where I saw many sad,cold children and soldiers who were needing a comfort quilt.
My family and other relatives all have one or more quilts.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 08-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

I make quilts for my chapter for Quilts for Kids. Bringing smiles to ill children is very rewarding.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 321 View Post
I love quilting but after a while you dont know what to do with your finished quilts and quilting unless you are going to sell it.What do you do with yours?
Literally every quilt I have made has a home before it is finished. Unfortunately, that means I do not own any, but I keep planning...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
If there's a VA Hospital in your area, you could make wheelchair quilts. There are numerous groups -- Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, Marine Comfort Quilts, that are more than thankful to receive quilts.
Our DSIL is a doctor for a VA hospital, and from what I hear the quilts might not survive there either. Most really nice personal things are stolen by domestic staff. I have witnessed that in nursing homes too, but I don't have any solutions.

FREE Quilting Newsletter