Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting? >

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

what do you do with your finished quilts and quilting?

Old 08-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Funny you would ask that. When I first started quilting (early 1980"s) there were no quilting magazines. Finally, they began to show up. I remember a quilter had folded hers and placed them in a pie safe with the door open so she could see them. I remember thinking, "I'll never have enough quilts to do that, or the furniture to display them in." Well I bought an old friend's armoire at his estate sale,& kept Christmas presents in it. On weekend we were having guests so I needed to take about 40 quilts off the spare bed. Finally, the light went on and I folded them to size, & after placing acid free shelf-liner on the insides of one section of the armoire, I filled it with the quilts. All good thinks come to those who wait, & work like crazy while waiting!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Most patterns I see, I resize to lap quilt if possible, and I donate the results to our local Hospice program.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Honestly I am just geting to the point where I am not sure what I will do , I guess the best thing is charity.
I can give you my mailing address... I am still a newbie and cannot keep up with the quilts I am wanting to gift so once I have finished one, I barely have time to capture a photo of it and then it already has a home waiting. I have one to bind as a wedding gift, but the couple exchanged vows in July... and then I am hoping to get one started and finished for my oldest son for Christmas... (sigh)
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 AM

I'm having trouble trying to keep any of mine! After I make something, I post a picture on my Facebook page & my family all tries to be the first one to say how much they like it in hopes I'll give it to them. Right now, I'm working on a teddy bear, but when it's done I have three queen sized quilts to make. I've been quilting as fast as I can all year & I've told my family if they want one of my quilts, they have to take the pieces as I finish my class work on them! ;-)
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 AM

Some I keep for myself. Some I make for seasonal display in my home. Some, and probably the most, I do as charity quilts for children. It gives me a chance to hone my quilting skills. If something does go a little wrong, it doesn't make any difference to me. Also, with the quilts I use for myself, I don't care if something goes wrong because the only person who is going to see it is me. The quilts I take in for longarm treatment are quilts I give away as gifts. I just finished the Halloween Masquerade quilt from the Keepsake Quilting catalogue as a birthday gift for my daughter, and I had it professionally done. If you don't know what to do with your quilts, there's children's organizations, there's veterans' organizations, there's senior citizen homes that all like to receive quilts. Hospitals, nursing homes. The list could go on and on.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Weddings, birthdays, retirements, hostess gifts, going away, new babies, g/f's that I have had since high school, house warming, high school graduation, oh your sick, oh because you asked me so nicely and we are related, wedding shower, thank you gifts. Can you see that I don't buy presents anymore The time and effort reflected in my quilts is indicative of my relationship to the receipient, as in my best friend at work received a super Queen size that used all 1/2 square triangles in a specific fabric line - where as the son of a casual acquaintance received a very nice Turning Twenty in yellow and blue fat quarters. I always have a small stash of quilts on had mostly lap and a good sized twin - when I was asked to go to a pillow case making party for a co-worker's neice who was diagnosed with neuroplastomia I took a toddler quilt to add to the pillowcases.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Of the 77 I've finished, I have given about 1/3 away. The rest will go to my family when I am gone.

FREE Quilting Newsletter