Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you love/What do you not love.. >

What do you love/What do you not love..

What do you love/What do you not love..

Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 AM

I love planning projects, don't mind cutting (but need to get myself in a certain frame of mind first), I enjoy sewing. I hate shopping for fabric.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:42 AM

I hate doing the bindings. I have about 8 finished quilts that need binding just because I can't get myself motivated to do it. Hope to take a trip this fall with DH and am going to put at least 2 of those quilts that need bindings in the car with me. I figure I can do that while he drives.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM

I feel your pain. I am currently working on a Carpenter's Wheel and having to square up those HST squares. I thought I would never get to actually sewing some rows together yesterday!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I love planning. I love choosing fabrics and choosing a pattern. I have many ideas written down.

I don't mind cutting the fabric. I enjoy sewing the pieces together and watching it come alive and take the shape that I envisioned.

But I really really dislike squaring up the blocks. I'm making a Friendship Star. It's going to have 42 blocks (I think). Each block has 1 solid square and 8 HST. I detest squaring up those HST's before I sew them all together to form the block. And it's putting a damper on my quilting this weekend. I keep taking breaks. I wish I could hire someone to square my squares! :roll:
I think I have the answer for you: when I was at the Long Beach show last month I bought some new square-up rulers that work almost like magic! The brand is Bloc_Loc and you can go to www.blocloc.com and see the products. What is special about these rulers is that they have a routed curved line on the underside that locks onto the seam in your block. When you place this ruler on top of your block it feels almost like it's magnetic. Once this ruler is locked in place, you can square up any sides that are "off." I like to use them with my Olfa rotating mat. They come in HST and Flying Geese styles. The rulers are pricey but if you buy sets you save a little. They are well worth it, especially if you get the job done faster and better. (BTW, I am not affiliated with Bloc_Loc in any way.)
Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 AM

I like all parts of quilting, I guess I am strange!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Please watch El Burns demonstrat her triangle square up ruler, it is revolutionary. I like doing HST now, so easy to square up with, get this, ONE cut.
http://quiltinaday.com
Joanns carries this ruler and with a coupon it goes for $9.00. It is my favorite besides my basic ones.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 AM

I don't hate doing bindings, but I don't love it either. All the fun stuff is done, and it's down to the HAVE to do.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 AM

I love patterns, I don't mind the cutting & sewing but I don't want to design my own quilt patterns.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 AM

If I have to offer up something I don't like about quilting, it would be frog stitching. I hate to RIP out. I'm fussy about my seams and sometimes I cannot get them to match the way I want!!!!
I am a true fabriholic - love, love, love it. Just found Moda Bella solids and love them. Also love sewing machines. Just found Juki's and I'm thrilled I did. So, I am happy with everything I do in the sewing arena - just not the unsewing.
Judi
Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

I really like planning and joing the blocks...I don't enjoy cutting/measuring