Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you love/What do you not love.. >

What do you love/What do you not love..

What do you love/What do you not love..

Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 AM

I love quilting, it's quite relaxing to me. I am a quilter about 6 yrs now. Each quilt I plan and make is a little harder then the first. I am now working on a queen sized log cabin. I love the blocks. I am doing strip, and a lot of squaring up. It's been mentioned here numerous times how easy log cabins are. They are and are not.. It's an easy pattern to make, but, squaring as you go is not
Old 09-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Christine27
Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I love planning. I love choosing fabrics and choosing a pattern. I have many ideas written down.

I don't mind cutting the fabric. I enjoy sewing the pieces together and watching it come alive and take the shape that I envisioned.

But I really really dislike squaring up the blocks. I'm making a Friendship Star. It's going to have 42 blocks (I think). Each block has 1 solid square and 8 HST. I detest squaring up those HST's before I sew them all together to form the block. And it's putting a damper on my quilting this weekend. I keep taking breaks. I wish I could hire someone to square my squares! :roll:
I hear you! I'm finishing up on a baby quilt for a friend and have a pinwheel block in each corner. The first two I did not square up the HST. The 2nd two, I did square up the HST. The first two, my seems and points matched up pretty good. The 2nd two turned out awful, in spite of the extra time taken to square them up!
I think you have got something there! I try to cut accurately and sew with a careful seam, and I just sew it all together without squaring or pressing and it all goes together easily with good points and all!
I only iron it after the top is finished.
( I have a suspicion that "squaring" takes off fabric I need to have there!)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 AM

I love everything about the quilting process from the planning, buying fabric, cutting, sewing----binding. The thing I hate is not having a longarm so I can do my own quilting!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 AM

I dislike picking fabric. I know what I like but getting the right lights,med. & darks is stressfull. Next time I going to get the pks. were that is done for me then all I have to do is get the boarders & backing. I hope someday I can shop stress free.

Love the rest of the process :thumbup:
Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw
If I were closer
Thank you if that statement was meant for me and you wanted to help iron.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM

I love planning, cutting, sewing, binding, hand quilting,
binding. Maybe not so much squaring off everthing but it is necessary I guess, and maybe not always having to do a scant 1/4" seam. It's hard to remember now. When I first started quilting we didn't have to worry.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 AM

I love every step but when it's time to make parts fit for the sandwiching, it's a pain to me. Can't lay it out on the floor or my little 6# Peke plops right in the middle. Move her? She finds another spot. I haven't gotten into buying backing fabrics so I always have to pc. the back.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

I love piecing the blocks. Hate cutting as it's hard on my back and legs. Can't sandwich on the floor (artificial knees and one hip) but sewing it together and finishing are no problem. I think what I love most though is buying the fabrics! I would probably have to live another 50 years to quilt what I already have but can't resist looking and looking always leads to buying....LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 12:27 PM

Basting, but maybe thats because I don't have a place to lay it all out. But as long as my family keeps having children, I won't have to worry about a larger quilt for a while. LOL
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM

I love finding just the right fabric for the pattern. I would never even consider a kit~ would even take it apart & use the fabric a different projects if I was given one,lol. I hate making "that first cut" after the first slice, I'm okay. I very worse part for me is making the sandwich. I crawl on the carpeted floor & never get as smooth a fit as I would like.