Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you love/What do you not love.. >

What do you love/What do you not love..

What do you love/What do you not love..

Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 PM

I like the choosing the pattern, fabric, cutting, and most especially putting the blocks together. I love the challenge of getting all the points, centers, squares, etc all come together like I envisioined in my mind how it should look.

My least favorite is the quilting part of it....mainly because I don't have the space to quilt. I do quilt as you go..so do get the quilting part done.

I think what I like most of the whole process is getting everything to come together like it should. When it all comes together...it just makes me feel great... :)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

The part I like the least about quilting is sandwiching the quilt with the batting and backing, probably because of space constraints, plus I could never pin it on the floor, would need the tow truck to help me up, then I get a backache from leaning over the table to pin baste it for machine quilting. It's all part of the process though, you have to do one to get the other.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM

I like it all most of the time.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM

My most favorite part is making/piecing a top, then I want to start another without sandwiching and quilting what I just made, except for gifts. And even then I tend to run late cuz I procrastinate on finishing.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:02 PM

I am with Seahourseanna. I absolutely detest cutting. I cut out a quilt and was really enjoying sewing it until I discovered when putting together the squares, that somehow along the way I had cut a little crooked. Now it looks like hell. I tried sewing on little extra pices of fabric to make it work (luckily with the fabric I used it's not really noticeable) but boy, that's a lot of work with ripping seams and resewing. I still haven't finished that thing! Every once in a while I drag it out and try to work on it, get frustrated and put it away again. Ugggh! The sad part is I cut out two quilts that day and still don't know if I have the same problem with the second quilt,(different pattern) because I just can't deal with finding out I messed that one up as well! Since that experience, I have a "fear" of cutting wrong and wasting expensive fabric.

On the good side, I have a friend that has offered to cut for me, but isn't this a fear I have to conquer? I can't depend on other people to cut my patterns forever! I've got to learn to do it right myself.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE cutting with the rotary cutter. It is very relaxing to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't too much care for the cutting part. I think mainly because my cutting table which is a card table is a bit too low, and it really makes my back hurt after awhile. But I absolutely detest basting a quilt.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Cutting is so difficult for me. Arthritis in my hands. I think maybe a Go cutter might be the answer, but so much to store and buy...and even then, maybe not the sizes you need.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM

OK Seahorseanna - I'm from Michigan and could help you out. Although I'm in SE Michigan!

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
I wish I could hire someone to cut everything out because I am always crooked and then do my binding too! :)
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM

I enjoy cutting and piecing the fabric