Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine? >

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:15 AM

I agree with Patrice (aka cashs mom) that everyone’s sewing needs are quite different and you are sure to get many responses based on what is working best for them. You should make a list of items that you want or need on a machine for traveling to classes and start from there. I have two Janomes and a Bernina...love both brands but if I were looking for a smaller machine for classes I would find enough features on a small Janome at a lot less money than a Bernina and I’m sure Brother, Singer, Pfaff and all the rest have light weight machines too. What machine are you using in your sewing room Pamela?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:31 AM

I used to tell my customers it is like cars. There are Ford people and there are Chevy people. The best one is the best one for you. I love my Brothers, I have 4 now and love them all. For years I had thought I wanted a Pfaff until I started researching and test driving.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:44 AM

For me, the best machine is one you can get reliable and trustworthy support for. I've found that they can be quite proprietary, so if you don't buy it from a local dealer, you may be hung out to dry if you do need support.

You need to decide what is important to you, and then look at machines that have that feature and test drive them until you fall in love with one. Take a good look at the warranty if you are getting machines with electronics, you may be surprised at what some offer (or don't offer).
Old 10-12-2018, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

The best brand is the one that meets all Your needs, fits your style, is in your budget.
asking what brand is best is like asking which Car is best. Everyone has their own likes, dislikes, styles & needs.
I own a Viking, a brother, 2 singers, a Janome and a Brenina. All of them are Great brands. I’m sure there are others that people have that are great brands too. It’s best to visit dealers, test drive machines ( just like buying a car) and choose the machine that is best for you.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 AM

I am still using my 57 year old Singer 401A which I bought when I graduated from high school. After making clothing for myself and my daughter for several years and over 50 quilts in the past 30 years, it still serves me well. I do all my quilting by hand.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:19 AM

There are some new models in the different brands. Take a few demo days to see them and then decide. It really depends on what features you want/need in a machine. Everyone has different requirements.

Make sure you can transport the machine easily too.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I always wanted a Bernina and got one in 2001. It works as well as it did from day 1. I bought a much less expensive Juki for FMQ because my Bernina doesn't have a wide enough throat area. I love that machine too but use my Bernina almost daily.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:54 AM

Had several. One a Viking computerized, in the closet now broken and unable to get it fixed. My favorite is my very cheap-- $100.00 mechanical Singer Heavy Duty. Had it for a couple of years and it just keeps stitching along. Great machine. Not fancy, but reliable.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I prefer Singers. I have one I purchased in 1965 and it runs so well. I also have a heavy duty Singer I purchased 10 years ago. It has always done a great job. Recently I was gifted a 1954 model Singer. It is a jewel. You will get as many opinions as there are people. I also have a Husqvarna Viking mega Quilter.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

Babylock has been making their top of the line models with HUGE throat spaces for FMQ, and their machines are primo! So if you plan to quilt your own quilts, you can do it more easily with that elongated throat space. Their machines are a bit pricey (tho not as pricey as Bernina), but they offer a great no-interest monthly payment plan which makes them easier to afford. I went to an FMQ seminar at a dealer that sells Babylock, and got to sew on all of their top of the line models, as well as their longarms. They are a dream!