Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine? >

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I love Juki TL98QE and Babylock Jane, both straight stitch only, all metal and sews like a dream.

Neither are light weight enough to carry.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
What is IDT?
IDT is Pfaff's top feed dogs. It's a small black toothed foot that slides into a groove on the underside of most Pfaff feet. It's there all the time unless you disengage it (then it stays popped up out of the way in the back) and it's very unobtrusive, not like big clunky add-on walking feet some machines have. And since it fits into the underside of most of the accessory/specialized feet, you have even feeding of both top and bottom fabrics all the time, no matter what kind of sewing you are doing. (Can you tell I'm a huge fan? Love my Pfaff!)
Old 10-13-2018, 03:27 AM

I have a small Janome that I take to class- although it has many stitches the truth is I almost always only use a straight stitch in class. Important that it has needle down and ability to move needle position. All my other machines are Vikings - love them and have great dealer.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 AM

I agree....I have had several Pfaff machines and have loved each one. I am sewing on a 7570 now. I had a large business sewing for the public for many years and this has been my go to machine. I have the embroidery unit and many cards and hoops that go with it but sadly, I have been too busy making garments that I haven't used this unit much. I may sell the unit so somebody could get use of it. I now use the Pfaff for making prayer quilts. It sure has been worth the money!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:47 AM

For me, I have always been a Bernini girl. I purchased one in 1992 and have never had a problem with it. I bring it in for regular tuneups every year and a half and have had wonderful luck. Twice I’ve been told by different technicians to never give up this machine and that I had no reason to purchase another. It’s one of the last ones made with metal parts. I did purchase a Janome Gem to take to workshops and it’s great for that (lightweight). But once home, back to my Bernina! It’s all about personal choice as others have mentioned above.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:51 AM

When I was recently shopping for a new machine, I tried the Berninas first since that's what I have used since the 70s. I asked the salesperson if I should try the other brands and she said--if you have been happy with Bernina, no other brand will ever make you happy. I got the 350 Patchwork model. It makes buttonholes and has many deco stitches, has the needle up or down function, but it's not a real fancy machine. I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 AM

I agree with so many others, this is a very individual thing. The best way to find out is to sew on as many different brands you can at different shops.

I sewed on a Pfaff 4.5 Expression recently. Lovely machine. Beautiful stitches. Smooth, quiet operation. IDT is wonderful. Couple of little things that I was concerned about (which I believe the issues and lack of info was due to the saleslady helping me - I think she was a bit confused). More $$ than I really wanted to spend, and the demo (plus other reviews over some issues a certain model had over the years) leaves me with the impression this machine might be more of a diva machine than I want to deal with (I've seen reviews where the machine is picky about thread, needles, etc).

Tried a Brother. Nother really wrong there, it just didn't have a WOW factor for me. Wanted to try a Janome Skyline 5, but apparently those are being phased out, and as the S7 and S9 are above what I want to pay, didn't try (I have had Janome, currently have an Elna 740 eXcellence that I am happy with - so familiar with Janome).

I had previously tried out a couple of Bernina's. Always out of my price range to get features I want, but as so many would not own anything other than a Bernina, I wanted to try it to see what all the hype is about. I didn't care for the machines I tried (one a more affordable to me option (read under $1k, the other way up the food chain with many nice features and the BSR) I didn't think the stitches were as nice as what I found on other machines, and I didn't care for the BSR at all. But that is just me.

Tried a Babylock Symphony. It was quite and smooth, but was acting picky during the demo and I had the impression again of "diva". I also was left with the impression that it would not handle (well) multiple layers, such as those found in a tote/purse. It had a delicate type feel to me. I might be wrong on the layers, but it didn't speak to me.

Then sewed on a Juki Hzl-DX5. WOW! That machine spoke to me! Love the sound, the feel (solid). No adjustments needed to be made when switching fabrics or when changing over to test FMQing. There are such great reviews on the F600, which is the machine right before this model. Rare to find anyone that doesn't love this machine. Feels like it will be a workhorse. Went back 4 days later to try it again (along with another Brother, which was again okay). But the Juki - it was speaking to me! She came home with me yesterday!! :-)

But, I felt good about my decision, because I tried a number of machines to have that comparison. I knew what features I preferred it have (auto-thread cutter at top of the list), I knew where I felt more comfortable at $$ wise, and other than the Pfaff, I didn't try machines that were way outside of my $$ comfort zone (once I determined what that was - which was after the Pfaff as I considered what I liked about that machine vs. the price and any reservations I had). I also watched numerous YouTube reviews on machines I was interested in and read many, many reviews.

Lots of great machines out there, but so much like a car - what speaks to one doesn't necessarily speak to another. I hope you find your dream machine (and have fun on the journey to find it)!!

Last edited by DawnFurlong; 10-13-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:06 AM
Suz

My choice is Bernina. Was a Viking lover until I got a Bernina. Now have two and love, love them. -- Just make sure your choice matches up with service that is available.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:06 AM

I have several Pfaffs and love all of them, but I bought a Janome jem to take to classes as it only weighs 12 lbs and it is also a great machine. Just doesn't have the IDT like the pfaffs.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
i have a brother dream machine. It is big. I can pack it up but it’s a real pain to take to classes and it doesn’t handle heavy layers as well as I would like.
Are you sure because I have had no issues with thick layers on my dreamweaver. It goes through like butter.my walmart brother even handles thick layers