Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine? >

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

What do you think is the best brand of sewing machine?

Old 10-13-2018, 08:19 AM

There are wonderful manufacturers out there....Janome, Bernina, Babylock......for workhorse, good class machine, I have to stay with Janome. Ask any repairman at your local machine dealer. My guy said the one he sees the least in his shop is the Janome. They are reasonable in price, lots of models. I have 7 Janomes of all models and use, never had a single one in the shop over 50 years.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I have berninas. I can't think of one machine I could love more. I do have my mother's old singer and it works great when I have it out to play with it. I have given both my sisters a bernina too. They love them.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 PM

I have a very “low end” Brother that has been sewing for 15-20 years and has never needed a shop service, and a high end Brother Quilting machine (12 years old) that just went to the shop for the first time (I messed up my needle threader doing something careless with it). While I respect all other machines (except the newer singers) I have Brothers because they were within my budget at the time, they have the features I wanted, and unless they suddenly fall apart, they will be my last two machines. I have had a Singer (meh) and a New Home industrial machine (I still miss “ Gertie”) who was lost in a fire in my grandmother’s barn when it “went up” to spontaneous combustion many rears ago. Four machines in sixty years and just had my first service call. Not bad. Lol.

(Sewing center repair guy took the thread and bobbin I had in it to try and figure out if I could fix it, and he gave a a long winded lecture about cheap thread and quality thread. Lol. I did explain not wasting my good thread, an he said it was still wrong. Lol. The replacement threader was $15)

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-13-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Janome, for me. I started with a small one, and it was so intuitive for me that I knew I’d transition easily (I was going to say “seamlessly”—haha) to a larger Janome fir bigger quilts. I keep it serviced annually and have not had a lick of trouble. I tried other brands but the Janome “checked all the boxes” for me.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 PM

I have a Janome MC 6600 and love it but I have two friends that swear by their Bernina. I think it is what ever you feel comfortable with and what your needs are on a machine. My only suggestion would be sit down and try machines out. You may feel more comfortable with one rather than the other. Good luck in your search
Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Babylock has been making their top of the line models with HUGE throat spaces for FMQ, and their machines are primo! So if you plan to quilt your own quilts, you can do it more easily with that elongated throat space. Their machines are a bit pricey (tho not as pricey as Bernina), ...
Not true. Bernina's highest priced machine is $11,000. Babylock's is $13,000.

I'm a Bernina Girl!
Old 10-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Not true. Bernina's highest priced machine is $11,000. Babylock's is $13,000.

I'm a Bernina Girl!
My bet is the newest Babylock TOL is more than that. The new TOL Brother is $18,800 so the Babylock twin will be more.

Cari
Old 10-13-2018, 07:25 PM

I have a number of machines, all of them are Singers -- My first machine which my DH bought for me for Christmas the first year we were married is a Singer 328-K. It is still a very good, strong, operating machine, bought new in 1963. Still has the original motor in very good condition. I also have a Singer 403-A, a Featherweight, two Singer 750's - T & S machines, a Babylock serger, a Singer 201-2, a Singer 1425. I use the 201-2 for quilting, the FW for piecing a lot. I have reservations about the newer plastic machines -- the T & S Machines I have -- the plastic gears have "shelled out" a couple of times, but I have to admit these were machines my son trained on when he was working as a sewing machine mechanic and our cost was zero. The 201 we also got at zero cost, but it had to have some parts, and my son totally re-wired the electrical and we had to buy a needle plate. The 1425 I originally bought for my mom, but when she passed away, my dad wanted me to take it home with me, so I did. Another machine I have, which we inherited from my DH's great-grandmother -- a National Two Spool Treadle. It needs another cleaning and oiling, and the cabinet needs some work -- I really don't have room to set it up
Old 10-14-2018, 07:04 AM

For me it is Bernina but they are too heavy to take to classes so I vote for a Featherweight for that. Love every machine I have but in my sewing groups, I am the only one with a Berninas and a Featherweights. I think you check out different machines and you will find the one that is just right for you. QuiltedSunShine, the highest priced Bernina is $15,499.

Last edited by sJens; 10-14-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I’m looking around for a second machine to take to classes and it got me to thinking;

what do you think is the best brand of sewing machine and why?
When I was looking for a second machine to take to class, I looked at the brand of the machine I already owned because the learning curve would be shorter, the extra feet are very often interchangeable, especially those "special" tasks feet, the bobbins were the exact same, etc. No need to have to sort through different bobbins, feet, or settings when the manufacturers generally stick to the same basics for all their machines. The only main issue with this theory is when one machine is a 7mm and the other is 9mm, then the feet probably won't fit.
So if you are happy with your current machine, I say look at that brand for a light weight to take places.
That said, I love Janome machines and own three. the 15000, 6600, and the 3160 which is my take to class 12 pound machine. The bobbin is interchangeable for all three but the 15000 is a 9mm and the other 2 are 7mm so the feet are interchangeable between those 2 only.
Good luck in your search.