Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your material stash look like? >

What does your material stash look like?

What does your material stash look like?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 AM

Most of my fabric stash is in a medium size two door armoire. It is full but I could stuff more in gently if I needed to. I also have two three drawer bins which hold a few premade quilt kits that I put together. Then I have a closet organizer which stores all of my batik fabrics

Last edited by nygal; 05-10-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 AM

I have 1 1/2 large bins full of fabric, most of that is earmarked for projects not started yet. I started quilting 2 years ago and I usually just buy fabric when I have a project in mind. I have limited space for my fabric so I can't start a collection.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I think these are great. I would be ashamed to show a picture of mine.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM

back in the early 2000's I decided to give all my scraps away for I wasn't going to make another quilt. Then I got a craft magazine with the most beautiful fall quilt on the cover so of course I went to Joann's (there not here in my town anymore,booooo) and bought $40 worth of fall fabric, since then I've been going strong. I turned a bedroom into a fabric room..I have a book case, 8 shelves, and tub after tub full of fabric. I love it what can I say. I have been trying not to buy so much of one thing. If I like it and don't know what I'm going to do with it I buy 3 yards....I'm now buying fat quarters.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

My stash is nothing compared to any others on this board. I just wish I could get some one to make up my mind what I was going to make for who.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 AM

I know this is an old thread but thought I would post pictures of my stash. I recently put it in bookcases, what a difference. For the first time, I know what I have.
Attached Thumbnails thrift-store-find-007.jpg   thrift-store-find-008.jpg   thrift-store-find-002.jpg   thrift-store-find-003.jpg   thrift-store-find-004.jpg  

thrift-store-find-005.jpg   thrift-store-find-006.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
Would love to see what your material stash looks like.
How many pieces of material do you have stored away?
And how many years of buying did it take to come up with your stash of material?
No photographs available - if you want to stop by, I could give you a tour.

I have no idea of how many pieces I have

I've been accumulating fabric for over 45 years - I used to sew garments.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM

Oh my.....many of you have very impressive stashes! I don't think I would ever leave my room if I had that amount! LOL . I am in the process of reorganizing my craft/ sewing room and closet space. At this point i have two plastic bins of material...one bin for actual quilts to be made and the other bin for left over fabrics from completed projects.
I tend to buy fabric only when I have a specific pattern in mind. On those times that I have purchased fabric just because it was pretty I have the worst time trying to figure out what to do with it.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I have more quilt kits, jelly rolls, charm packs, fat quarter bundles and layer cakes then I do yardage. Most of my yardage is for backing.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM

I've been a sewer since high school making my own clothes. After marriage and children, I didn't have much time so my stash never got going. I have a huge cross-stitch stash though. In the last year I've really gotten interested in quilting and since my daughter moved, I now have my own sewing room for the first time in my life! I love, love, love it. As for my stash, I just have one small cabinet of fabric. Top shelf has 1/2 yard lengths on the comic book boards arranged by color or by design group already earmarked for a specific project. Second shelf is fat quarters. Third shelf is a mish-mash of projects I make like handbags, wallets and cosmetic bags. Already cut waiting to be sewn. Bottom shelf is just a small amount of fabric cuts given to me. My scraps are in a fabric box container on a shelf and separated by color in ziplock bags. I tend to buy only when I have a plan for the fabric. I have about 4 or 5 quilt projects in the queue. Working on 2 - I-Spy quilts presently.

I work full time so only have a few hours in the evening and some times on the weekend to sew when I'm not babysitting. I just love to go into my 'sewing cave' and plan and sew!