Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your material stash look like? >

What does your material stash look like?

What does your material stash look like?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM

I have two large but shallow plastic containers of fabric and even that much of a stash makes me anxious. I don't really want a big stash--except for basics such as white, black, red, other neutrals-- because I don't like having projects-in-waiting. When I look at the fabric I have, I feel an urgency to make it all up right now, which of course is impossible.

The only reason I have as much as I do is that I can't resist fabric I see and fall in love with. I usually buy it having no idea what I'll do with it. I did this, too, when I made all my clothes and saw fabric I loved, but for some reason it didn't bother me as much then. One of the reasons it does now may be that I keep too much of everything and I've run out of storage space!
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM

My stash is very small (been quilting 2+ years). Three bookshelf rows and one free standing small cabinet for FQ's. A peg board for rulers/misc notions/threads. Currently not purchasing new fabric until my 10 planned projects are complete. I have not purchased fabric since the beginning of the year but I sure can feel a splurge coming on very soon! Clutter keeps me out of the sewing room, not in.

Recently I made fabric wreaths (1 lg 1 sm) from all my scraps - made me happy to use them and a wonderful walk down memory lane as I remembered where each scrap came from.

Last edited by butterflies5518; 02-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Mine looks like I'd better get off my computer and start piecing or I'll never use it up before I'm gone!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've been quilting since 1992 and I have so much fabric that my ironing board is sitting in the middle of the room on a long dresser full of fabric. My sewing machine is 2 feet out from the closet. Two walls are solid fabric and my closet is solid fabric. The wall with the window has two long tables with a 23"x72" cutting board and underneath is huge rubbermaid tubs full of fabric. That's how much I have. And I've been down sizing and buying at the same time.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM

No amount of $$$$ or fat 1/4s could persuade me to post a picture of my 40 year hoard.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM

When my mother passsed away about 5 yrs ago I just couldn't give away her stash so I inherited he 10 66 gallon tubs of fabric plus a few smaller ones. I had a small stash of my own so altogether about 12 large tubs and about 10 small. I now am going through and deciding what I want to keep and giving the rest to our church quiting group. I love to touch and see all the beautiful fabrics it just brighten my day, especially now in the winter when the days are so gloomy.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM

The best way to describe my stash is an organized mess. I have a bedroom that is my sewing room. In the closet is my fat quarters, more or less separated by color. I do a lot of paper piecing so very few of them are whole fat quarters any more, they all have chunks out of the. Also in the closet I all of the fabric that just isn't me, mostly from yard sales. I have a 4x4 cutting table that has all of my pretty yardage in it. Then there are the somewhat organized piles on the floor. I am trying to work this year mostly from my stash. Doing pretty well so far. I figure I could probably sew for years and years just from my stash. If I could just quit my job and quit sleeping I could have more fun in there.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM

I had my stash in big plastic bins and would get frustrated every time I was looking for a specific fabric. Then I saw the flat fold system for storing fabrics here and I folded all of my fabric and put it on my shelves. Now when I go into my workroom, I see my entire stash at a glance. Love, love love it! I've been collecting fabrics since the 60's and have over 1000 pcs ranging from fat qtrs to several yards. Solids are on one shelf, prints on another, fat qtrs on another and themed prints on another. Now I can audition several fabrics in a fraction of the time it took to go thru bins. I highly recommend flat folding.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Okay, I just began learning to sew and quilt. I have been building a stash for only a few weeks and the methods of organization will be extremely helpful to me as I build my stash and obtain supplies. Thank You
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM

I'm glad to read these posts of others who can't resist fabric. I began my collection 50 yrs ago sewing for kids, myself and window treatments. I've been quilting seriously for about 5 years. My problem is some of my stash was purchased for gds who no longer like home made clothes would rather wear jeans/t shirts. Not quilt fabric. I love my fabric.
I have a designated closet w/shelves in the sewing room full of fabric of all kinds. Not organized but folded and put of shelves. I am done with buying fleece though. Takes up so much room.....all other is great. What is needed is TIME. I could produce a bunch of projects if I managed my time better.