Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your material stash look like? >

What does your material stash look like?

What does your material stash look like?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 PM

My stash is overwhelming. It's way too big. Have to start sewing faster.LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 AM

I turned a bedroom into a fabric room and it's an organized mess. I have sooooo much fabric and I buy it each week, any on top of that I have tubs and tubs of scraps. I was going to give some of my scraps away a year ago when I read Bonnie Hunter's comment "what do you do with scraps, use them!" I love her crayon box pattern and started cuting up scraps and sewing, and this is no lie, once I finished I had 9 queen size tops made for the scraps I was going to give away. Now I keep and use them
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 AM

I have about 10 tubs. I went throught them several years ago and organized them like this: red/pinks; blue/green/purple; children's/novelty prints; coordinated sets, ie fabrics that I purchased to go together and don't want to get separated; Christmas ; whites; architectural and nature fabrics like bricks, boards and grasses and clouds. I think there's several more, but I forget what. It never really bothered me till this year. I think I'm having a "I can see the end of my life" crisis as my husband I have both lost our fathers this year. My mother died several years ago. I'm beginning to think I WON'T live long enough ( or have my faculties )to use all the fabric I have. Interestingly, as I've consciously purchased much less fabric this year, I've begun to EAT much more! Maybe I need to get back to fabric buying and lose some weight!!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 AM

Either my laptop or QB will not allow me to post pics, so I will describe what I have. I am very jealous of the large areas many of you quilt in. I quilt in half of a small bedroom (+/- 12' X 12'). I have no room for more quilt fabrics. I have 4 - 50 qt. clear bins for my yardage, stored on comic boards. I have 17 clear plastic shoe boxes for my scraps, sorted by color. I have 2 large bins for my fat quarters and 6 bins for my WIP quilts. I have 4 large drawers of home dec fabric I'm accumulating for rag rugs and misc. supplies. I have a 5 drawer sterlite for my small supplies, marking stuff, etc. I'm on a fabric buying moratorium and only finishing UFOs and charity sewing this year. Today I'm working on adult size bibs for our guild to donate to local nursing homes. I'm using free fabric from our guild. Every month at our meeting, we bring free stuff that any member can take and use for any purpose. It ranges from patterns to left overs from home dec projects, lots of polyester, etc. So anyone who says they can't sew or quilt because they don't have room should see my little space. But it works for me.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Default My Stash

Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
Would love to see what your material stash looks like.
How many pieces of material do you have stored away?
And how many years of buying did it take to come up with your stash of material?
Since I've been quilting since 1976 (please don't count the years), owned a quilt store at one point, design patterns and write quilt books--with a blog coming soon--my stash is big--actually bigger than big. I bought a going-out-of-business yarn bin years ago that has wonderful square spaces on point that sits on two commercial pattern cabinets that together are five feet wide. The bin almost reaches the ceiling. All are stuffed full and the overflow sits on the floor and under the ironing board. Of course, that doesn't count the new yards I just bought. Wish the fabric companies would stop making designs that I just love and that send me into mind whirling quilt design sessions. It's a sheer horror story that drives my kids nuts. Aah, but such a wonderful addiction!
SandyQuilter
Okay--I give up. I've really tried to get the name straightened out, but it seems doomed to misquote my sign in name as SandyQuilter. I'm going to change my name and reregister as Sandy's Quilting Forward.

Last edited by sandyquilts; 02-13-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: wrong name
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM

OMG! I have so much fabric from sewing and quilting. My poor sewing room is such a mess and I have a small path to get into it. There is fabric everywhere. An then there's our bedroom. We have deep IKEA shelves that cover 2 walls. About 1/3 of it is fabric and sewing accessories. Soon, there will be two friend to help me get this mess organized. I just received an order of 300 comic book boards to help manage the fabric. I suspect it will take a while to get everything on the boards.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM

I have been quilting for about a year now and have been fortunate to have a sister that is very generous with fabric. I have been building up my stash also and I know now that I have been bitten by the fabric "BUG". I have many precuts,yardage and patterns galore. Like I said I'm very lucky!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Mine is all ruler folded and stored in cabinets. It has been shrinking lately as I have been doing most of my shopping from it! Must be time to go shopping LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Have been collecting for about 40 years. Have about 50-60 plastic bins. Sounds like a lot, but now I am retired and on a fixed income it is great. I am finally able to use it and not worry that I can't afford it. Just getting into quilting that is more than squares or tied ones. Have time now.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Now I feel great!! I am in the process of moving back to California and 2 weeks ago I have to pack my sewing room. Gee I only have 5 large crates and 30 small inidividual boxes ( each carry 1 pattern & fabric for the pattern to make 30 quilts). I feel good! I always thought I had too much fabric. I can now eat my words!!! You girls beat me!!! Now I can continue to build my stash and not feel like I am a fabric hoarder! Yippee!!! It took me 7 years to build this stash.