Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you made from a wedding dress? >

What have you made from a wedding dress?

What have you made from a wedding dress?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TShooters View Post
Harriet made this beautiful satin quilt. It could have been made from a wedding dress. Just gorgeous!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t208391.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t209131.html
One word....WOW!
Maybe another one....STUNNING!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM

I use them in my crazy quilting, with beads, pearls and silk ribbon embroidery.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

i was looking for this earlier today and couldn't find it. another member just posted it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t212486.html
this tree would look great from wedding dress fabric.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM

I was commissioned a few years ago to make pillows for 4 grown children, her dress was over thirty years old and it almost killed me to cut into it, but after the first few cuts, it went well. I used her wedding photo in the middle and decorated it with the lace and trim, they turned out beautiful. Will try to find a photo to post for you.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jlarke View Post
I have been wanting to make a Christmas tree skirt with mine. I would love to see pictures of things that people have done.
That's what I want to do with mine too! My wedding day was the happiest day of my life and I'm also a Christmas fanatic, so I thought it would be the perfect thing to do with my wedding dress. I haven't had the nerve to do it yet though.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM

My wedding gown was linen and floor length. When my first son was born, i cut it off to street length. I took the material I cut off and made his christening outfit. I dyed the dress peach and wore it for the christening.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM

I am gathering things to make a quilt from mine, dh and my 30th anniversary is coming up...I am still in the "planning" stage...but one thing I am doing is printing some of our wedding pics on fabric to use in the quilt...I also still have my hand made ring bearer pillow, it was hand embroidered with our names and the date along with other embellishments, and I am going to use it somehow, too...I loved checking out the above links for ideas, too...there is some beautiful work!!
K
Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 AM

I also made christening outfit out of mine and kept what was left--lots of the lace. This year I noticed a lot of hearts (for valentines) posted on pinterest. I made a half dozen different ones using my dress (from 42 years ago) and buttons, roses, ribbon, some embroidery, beads from my grandmothers olds jewlery and even an old skeleton key I have been carrying around for 40 odd years. They turned out gorgeous and I will use the rest of it to make more. If your are interested go to pinterest and look thru the vintage valentines boards.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 AM

I made a co-worker a Christening gown for her daughter from her wedding dress.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Great ideas here. I was "lucky" and found a HUGE, LONG, heavily beaded, laced, wedding dress at a garage sale for $1.00 - yes, one dollar. It was dirty though. The "husband" was tending to the sale and when i asked how much was the dress he said that they had tried to sell it for $10 - how about $1.00. I threw him a $1 bill and ran to my car with the dress. It has long sleeves and tons of lace and medallions and buttons on it. It is on the back of my bedroom door and I really kind of dread taking the goodies off of it but don't think that the fabric is good enough to worry about cleaning it. Looks like a child may have worn it for dress-up.