Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What have you made from a wedding dress?

Blog Entries

What have you made from a wedding dress?

I have been asked to make a wallhanging or small quilt from a wedding dress. I know I have seen things like this here on the Board but for the life of me I can't bring anything up on the search feature. If you know some thread names or have made something from a wedding dress would you let me know. Thanks for your help.

We've made Christmas stockings & included a label telling the "history" of the dress.
    Blessings,
    Happy Camper
    “Because every piece of fabric has a story to tell”

I have been wanting to make a Christmas tree skirt with mine. I would love to see pictures of things that people have done.

I suggested to my daughter several years ago that she have a christening gown made out of her very beautiful wedding dress. She did just that, and has had all of her children (5) baptized in it. I had another thought when my last grandchild was baptized and that is a ribbon sewn inside with the names of each child written on it along with their date of baptism.

MTS
    Banned
    There are plenty of pictures out there (on blogs and other sites):
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wedd...ss+quilt&hl=en

Blog Entries
    here's a beautiful crazy quilt using satin
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...tml#post529936
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    I suggested to my daughter several years ago that she have a christening gown made out of her very beautiful wedding dress. She did just that, and has had all of her children (5) baptized in it. I had another thought when my last grandchild was baptized and that is a ribbon sewn inside with the names of each child written on it along with their date of baptism.
    Now that is a fantastic idea, what a wonderful thing to do.

My mother was a very tiny woman, 5'4 and 95 pounds. I didn't get the thin genes. When I was in grade 5, I needed a costume to be an angel in the school Christmas play. I wore my Mother's dress, which she had embellished with tinsel and wings. Her theory was that it was the only time in my life that it would have fit me. (She was right). She also used some left over material from the dress to make the christening gown that me and my brother were baptized in.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Banned
    I used the fabric and trimmings from a wedding dress to make 6" Victorian Crazy Patch blocks. It was for a 25th Anniversary so I used silver metalic thread to do decorative stitches along the seam lines and the pearl beads for additional decoration. Made a small wallhanging and the foks had it framed. I used all the fabric from the original dress - tulle overlay, lace, the undergarment fabric as well as the basic dress. I pieced it on paper and then cut the paper away.....in the Victorian Crazy Patch type.

Harriet made this beautiful satin quilt. It could have been made from a wedding dress. Just gorgeous!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t208391.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t209131.html
    Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years.

"I, myself, am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

Quote Originally Posted by TShooters View Post
    Harriet made this beautiful satin quilt. It could have been made from a wedding dress. Just gorgeous!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t208391.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t209131.html
    One word....WOW!
    Maybe another one....STUNNING!

I use them in my crazy quilting, with beads, pearls and silk ribbon embroidery.

Blog Entries
    i was looking for this earlier today and couldn't find it. another member just posted it.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t212486.html
    this tree would look great from wedding dress fabric.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

I was commissioned a few years ago to make pillows for 4 grown children, her dress was over thirty years old and it almost killed me to cut into it, but after the first few cuts, it went well. I used her wedding photo in the middle and decorated it with the lace and trim, they turned out beautiful. Will try to find a photo to post for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jlarke View Post
    I have been wanting to make a Christmas tree skirt with mine. I would love to see pictures of things that people have done.
    That's what I want to do with mine too! My wedding day was the happiest day of my life and I'm also a Christmas fanatic, so I thought it would be the perfect thing to do with my wedding dress. I haven't had the nerve to do it yet though.

My wedding gown was linen and floor length. When my first son was born, i cut it off to street length. I took the material I cut off and made his christening outfit. I dyed the dress peach and wore it for the christening.

Blog Entries
    I am gathering things to make a quilt from mine, dh and my 30th anniversary is coming up...I am still in the "planning" stage...but one thing I am doing is printing some of our wedding pics on fabric to use in the quilt...I also still have my hand made ring bearer pillow, it was hand embroidered with our names and the date along with other embellishments, and I am going to use it somehow, too...I loved checking out the above links for ideas, too...there is some beautiful work!!
    K
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

I also made christening outfit out of mine and kept what was left--lots of the lace. This year I noticed a lot of hearts (for valentines) posted on pinterest. I made a half dozen different ones using my dress (from 42 years ago) and buttons, roses, ribbon, some embroidery, beads from my grandmothers olds jewlery and even an old skeleton key I have been carrying around for 40 odd years. They turned out gorgeous and I will use the rest of it to make more. If your are interested go to pinterest and look thru the vintage valentines boards.

I made a co-worker a Christening gown for her daughter from her wedding dress.

Blog Entries
    Great ideas here. I was "lucky" and found a HUGE, LONG, heavily beaded, laced, wedding dress at a garage sale for $1.00 - yes, one dollar. It was dirty though. The "husband" was tending to the sale and when i asked how much was the dress he said that they had tried to sell it for $10 - how about $1.00. I threw him a $1 bill and ran to my car with the dress. It has long sleeves and tons of lace and medallions and buttons on it. It is on the back of my bedroom door and I really kind of dread taking the goodies off of it but don't think that the fabric is good enough to worry about cleaning it. Looks like a child may have worn it for dress-up.
    Nikki in MO

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
    I have been asked to make a wallhanging or small quilt from a wedding dress. I know I have seen things like this here on the Board but for the life of me I can't bring anything up on the search feature. If you know some thread names or have made something from a wedding dress would you let me know. Thanks for your help.
    Thanks for the idea. I have my lace wedding dress from the 70's that my daughter doesn't want for her wedding. She is planning on selling her wedding dress but maybe I could make something out of mine.
    quilting with my dogs

Wedding gown recycled

Years ago, after getting divorced from my first husband, my second husband and I gave birth to our first son, who is now 42 years old. I had my wedding gown from my first marriage stored away, and we decided that it would make an excellent bassinet cover, and it did. Also, I used my oldest daughter's wedding gown to make a christening gown for her daughter. Can you tell I like recycling?

Quote Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
    0h munner: I, too, have made baptism dresses, but from First Communion dresses. Each of the girls' First Communion dresses were made into gorgeous baptismal dresses for THEIR own first babies. Sure is hard to cut into those dresses though!!! At least they got recycled.

I made my granddaughter a first communion dress out of her Mother's dress.
    We saved just the top of the dress, in hopes that maybe some day her daughter could have a new bottom put on and just use the top with it, as the top had so very much beading and lace on it. Also made her American Girl doll a first communion dress to match my granddaughters.

I had my daughters wedding gown made into a Christening gown for her daughter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast