Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What I figured out last Christmas...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reneebobby
    That is a great idea. I wish I would of had that information years ago when I made, quilts, afghans, dresses and stuff that well, I would say were given to good will. Okay can't complain on the good will part at least someone will love it even if they don't know who made it.
    There are some thrift stores here where my guild-mates go every Monday and Thursday (when they have their extra 10% off weekly sales) and hunt for handmade quilts and afgans. They rescue them and bring them to the next guild meeting. I am always shocked to see these items (and that they got them at a steal).

I went in there to look for costume pieces for DD's school (where ELSE will you find a hand-stitched 3-piece wool suit for 15 dollars?) and it was heartbreaking to see aprons with children's hand-prints on them and the words "we love you grandpa!" and other such items. I can only hope that the estates these came from were from people who passed with little surviving family...

I try not to think about some of the quilts I give away. Baby quilts, I make to be used and loved, so if they wear out, I can deal with that. My MIL doesn't put the quilt I made her on her bed because she's afraid FIL will destroy it (he's rather incontinent now). The chemo quilt I made my mother was used a lot by my dad at the assisted living after mom died and before he died, and they were rather harsh washing it, so it's pretty faded from being bleached now. It's one of our couch quilts.

I only give quilts to people who I know will appreciate them and understand the effort it takes to make one of these things. (also why I only knit small items for family members. If it's a sweater, it's for me :P )

This is a subject dear to my heart. I want my quilts to be used and loved not wasted. I don't care as long they are well loved. I made a quilt for my son, when I gave it to him he didn't seem to like it very much and I was very disappointed. He flew home and in a couple of days he gave me a call. He said his girlfriend absolutely loved it and all his friends were raving about it. I don't think he really appreciated it until he saw it through someone elses eyes. He sent me a picture of it on his bed. Sometimes the pats come in a round about way.

what a great (fairly inexpensive)way to find out about the quilts we give as gifts. I never would have thought of that I spent 3-4 years making 21 quilts to allmy children and grandkids quilts for Christmas three years ago. I knew they would enjoy them and they love them and cherish them.
    Nnow I can start on great grands. Love making quilts

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by brwnntwn
    My older sister taought me to sew. She is an amazing seamstress - but does not "get" quilting. (unless the quilt is made from scraps or old clothes) ANYWAY, I decided to make her a quilt in her favorite colors with her favorite things - cats. It took me almost a year to finish this quilt with all of the piecing involved in the squares. Come Christmas Morning her comment was "it's about time some one made something for me". I know whe has looked at it because she commented on a flaw on one of the squares - but she keeps it in a box in her closet because it is "too nice to put out." sigh. I was amazed at this response from the person who taught me to sew and craft! My sister in law - who drives me crazy - has been begging me for a quilt - but she understands what goes into it. One of these days she will get it too!
    What a wonderful quilt!!! I love it!
    She sounds like she has a hard time expressing her feelings about gifts. She just HAS to love this quilt. And lots of people put these gifts away because they think they're too precious to take a chance on having them out where they can get damaged. Do you think maybe this was the problem with her?

8-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
    I live in Florida and most of my family is RI and MA. It's sad that there are a lot of people who don't appreciate the love, the thought, the time and the money it costs to make such a unique
    gift. I always think of my lap quilts as long-distance hugs. Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
    The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My
    SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?
    No, but you also have to remember the quilt may not have been in as "pristine" condition after the passing as it was when you gave it. And maybe the quilt would remind them of the illness and end-of-life rather than happier times. I think it's rather a huge honor that they buried the quilt with the mother. Perhaps she requested that specifically.

Thankfully the "official" extended family rule is that the adults don't get gifts (of course, we tend to violate that rule, LOL). I make small handmade things for the family (including jam and pickles). The kids are at an age where they prefer cash :)

Bottom line, know the person you are giving the quilt to. If you know they like crafts and quilts, pretty good chance their going to like the quilt. If your not certain, ask them if they like quilts, that clears up everything.

Bev
    quote> Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
    The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My
    SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not nuts!
    But the idea of burying the lady with her quilt reminds me that in ancient times people were buried with their favorite things. For a man it might have been a bow and arrow or shield, for a woman maybe a favorite cooking pot etc. Get the picture? Maybe somehow these relatives of yours were doing something similar. Not that they have copied the ancient people, but that maybe the quilt was a favorite article of the person who passed away. We have to remember the emotions that come into play when a loved one dies. Remember Jackie Kennedy slipping her ring on JFK's finger in his coffin? That was a loving gesture. I'll stop now before this gets too morbid. :lol: :roll:

My husband was in a rehab center after hip surgery and I brought him a quilt had just finnished to put on his bed and since I have to work every day I told him to wrap himself with my love when I wasn't there. He called me a few days later and said he had sold it for $75. After the extended silence on my end he said he was just joking, but his nurse really wanted it. yes after she put up with him for three weeks she did get the quilt and now she has my love too.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
    I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
    ummm i am sitting here just speechless which pretty much never happens to me some people are just UN BE LI EV AB LE!

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    WOW!
    I'll bet that nurse went home as happy as a clam.
    I know I sure would have.
    LOL that nurse probably giggled all the way home that day about what a silly lady that patient was i know i would have.

Quote Originally Posted by mynani
    I've also had this experience . Once when my DD laughed at the placemats I had machine embroidered with beautiful birds. Also when a couple of crocheted aphgans were used as dog beds. And she still asks me to do items for her.
    this is the person who is too cheap to buy stuff for themselfs direct her to the local good will lol!

I Have had to learn not to put strings onto to quilts I make and give away. Once it leaves my possession I have no control over it. Now I am very choosy about who gets my work

Thanks for all the tips and pics from this board. This is my first post.

I sewed very intricate dresses for my first grand daughter. Some were even smocked. When they moved in with us a few months later I asked where the dresses were? "Oh, we didn't have room for them when we moved so we left them in apartment". I didn't make anymore. Later I made another grand child with different parents a quilt. It was the dogs when I went to visit. I don't do that anymore either. Since I have always made things they don't sew and don't value them. I also stopped altering clothes when I discovered they were buying things on markdown because I could alter them - never mind the size. I hate to alter and sure don't do it now.

Excellent Idea!!!!

I have a little different spin on your story with one that happened to me. I had a total stranger see a quilt that I made and went crazy over the quilt. She just had to have it.She contacted me several times and made a point fo how poor she was. She could never afford such a beautiful piece of art work. she actually cried tears. SO.....I sold her the quilt at a rediculous price to find out that she turned around and sold it for a fortune!!! Never again will that happen!!!!I don't care how many tears they cry!!! Susie Sew-a-lot

OH MY !!!!!! That is why i CAREFULLY choose who i give one. Some people just don't understand the concept od hand stitched and hand quilting !!!!!

I learned a long time ago when making things for my family (mostly mother and sister) that our tastes were so different that it was difficulty to make something they truly appreciated. So, from then on we started what I call the "I get it back" gifts. Whatever we give one another, if for any reason they no longer want it, I get it back. They've begun the same kind of routines between themselves, too and it is really working out well. I must admit, I have a tendency to make things with fabric I love more than they might, but after all, if I may ever get back, why not? And they have become more thankful and appreciative of the crafting and time that goes into my gifts. I cannot keep up with them financially and they'd rather pay big bucks to send something than take the time to make it. So in my estimation, we're even. Like the author Debbie Macomber says, "make every stitch count as a prayer, a good thought or just plain fun and whatever you're making will be worth the effort." Go for it!!!

maybe it was just the fleece they didn't like? Did you use a panel?

Amazing stories....I will remember these stories as my quilting progresses. I am only on the 4th one and have given the 1st 3 away. I would be very hurt and am sure you were too.

I totally understand your pain at your hard work unappreciated. I've sort of decided to hone my quilting skills by giving everyone I know a potholder I've made. It's such a good, fast,easy way to use scraps and not invest a lot of money.

I'm working on my very first quilt, baby-size and boy have I learned a lot from all my booboos.

Could someone comment on the best quilt designs for beginners or baby quilts. I tried my first FMQ on a potholder and it will be a long time til I do that again.

You are so right! This needed to be said. No offense intended, but there are just some folks who don't appreciate the effort and love that go into making a homemade gift, especially a quilt. They should go out to Anna's and buy themselves a quilt from China.

Oh dear, that is just an awful thing to have happen. I am so sorry to read this. You are right though, often people just don't realize how much time and effort (let alone cost) has gone into making our quilts.
    I belong to a quilting group (a couple of them actually) and one of the groups the ladies each made a block and signed it then put the quilt together. The leader of the group brought it to me when I was in hospital having my cancer treatment. I thought it was so sweet of them all to think of me this way. Love the quilt. Of course the following weeks went past in a blur and I forgot about the quilt. I had it with me in hospital for a couple of weeks but then sent it home as I was worried something terrible would happen to it. Several weeks after coming home I suddenly remembered that quilt and couldn't find it. What panic occurred as I imagined all sorts of scenarios for what had happened to it. To make it worse I had looked at the wrapped quilt twice while searching for it and yet not seen it. Anyways to make a long story short, it is now on our bed with another (it is winter here).

I have given away all except 2 of the quilts I have made so far and with out fail all of them have been put away and are not in use (well 2 I don't know about). I have just accepted that this is the way some people are and I don't really mind as I make the quilts because I enjoy doing this. Apart from two (and I have kept one) of them all of the others have been smaller quilts.

Cheers
    Maybe1day

I guess I could love any quilt.
    Hubby and I were in Sears just browsing when we seen these big boxes of "Hand made quilts" just $29.95. These were made in a 3rd world country.
    Two of those quilts caught my fancy, so we bought them.
    One was very well made, the other not so good on the hand quilting. Actually, it was because the quilting thread seem to rot away in a year. I am going to re-stitch it. It has a lot of hand applique. The bottom line of this story is how I stroked the quilt thinking about the hours that had gone into it and how few pennies the worker had been paid for her time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    WOW!
    I'll bet that nurse went home as happy as a clam.
    I know I sure would have.
    If I had been the nurse, I would have said "how can you give this away, it's hand made!" I would have read the tag to the patient and made sure she knew who made it for her and told her it was too valuable for me to take, that she needed to take it home. After all, it was made for HER by a FRIEND. Then I would have offered to drop it off for her if she couldn't manage it that day. Guess I appreciate handmade items as I know the work that goes into it and to me it would have been like STEALING to accept it, especially since the chick didn't have a clue. Do I live in a small town area? Yes, but I'd like to think that even if I didn't, I'd do the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyBsquared
    I totally understand your pain at your hard work unappreciated. I've sort of decided to hone my quilting skills by giving everyone I know a potholder I've made. It's such a good, fast,easy way to use scraps and not invest a lot of money.

I'm working on my very first quilt, baby-size and boy have I learned a lot from all my booboos.

Could someone comment on the best quilt designs for beginners or baby quilts. I tried my first FMQ on a potholder and it will be a long time til I do that again.
    Judy, there are probably some good threads on her about that subject. A couple of tried and true beginner patterns are just setting 5" blocks together, a rail fence pattern (very quick and simple, yet looks interesting) another is a four patch with solid/contrasing setting squares. If you look on downy.com's website, there are some patterns there for their charity quilts. The patterns are super simple.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast