Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Kind of Batting do You Use - Cotton, Poly, Blend or Wool - and Why >

What Kind of Batting do You Use - Cotton, Poly, Blend or Wool - and Why

What Kind of Batting do You Use - Cotton, Poly, Blend or Wool - and Why

Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM

i do poly for all baby gifts...you never know who's allergic to what and poly is hypoallergenic AND washes and dries during the length of one nap....(seriously, my kids watched the dryer till their 'blankies' were done)... i do cotton for wallhangings, hangs flat against the wall beautifully....BUT, for bed quilts ...i sandwich the backing, cotton, thinnest possible poly and then top... poly fills the quilting stitches and that's important to me... I have not used wool yet, but everyone i know who has says it's just dreamy... and the perfect thing for hand quilting, which i do on occasion...
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I've used a lot of Warm and Natural, as I like the feel of the quilt after.
This spring used a poly .... and had forgotten how light a quilt could be!

I haven't used wool or bamboo ... and am intrigued, and will be interested to read the comments on these.
I am just finishing a quilt using bamboo; this is the first time that I have used it. It is thinner and lighter than Warm and Natural, but was less than half the price of W&N, and I like that it is a rewable resource (although, come to think of it, I'm not aware that there is a cotton shortage anywhere on the planet!). I did find that it was very flat once the quilt was quilted. It is warm, but not being as heavy as W&N, it's not as warm as W&N. There was not the puffiness that you get with poly. I didn't pre-wash so I don't know how that is going to turn out, but the packing said it was fine in the washer and dryer.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Thanks CanadaKate ..... I saw some in a store not long ago, and loved the feel of it ..... so cuddly-able (new word!) in its naked state, than the W+N right beside it.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM

I have used wool and cotton and cotton/poly blend. The thickness of the batting will determine the weight and and loft of the quilt. I have seen silk batting and would love to try it, but is very expensive. I only use poly if I am going to tie the quilt. I do not like to machine quilt on poly.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Cathy, I don't think 1% batt shrinkage is going to be a problem for you.

I don't know about other fibers, but 100% cotton gets softer with every washing. That's one of the reasons why I favor the old-fashioned Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting. (I wouldn't recommend it for hand quilting, though; too tough!). If I want higher lofter, then I like Hobbs 80/20. Both of these battings require fairly close quilting (3" or less) and shrink about 3%, giving a crinkled effect.

With poly, I think you need to be careful about brand and quilting distance if it is to be used a lot, as in a child's quilt. I had a bad experience with one that balled up badly over time. If I were to use poly, I'd probably try the Quilter's Dream polydown or something else in the QD product range.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

1% shrinkage is nothing. Don't worry.

I like Warm and Natural or Warm and White but recently have also been using the Hobbs 80/20. I like the antique drawn in look once the quilt is washed.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM

There are a lot of things to consider. I am usually a handquilter. For that I like the Bamboo or the lighter cottons. If I am making something for someone who will launder it a great deal poly is the only way to go. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month and for them I use the 4 oz. poly batting that comes on a ten yard roll from Joanns. Who has any idea how those quilts will be laundered so poly is the best way to go with them.
In the long run it comes down to what you can afford, how it will be laundered and how you like the look of the finished product.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM

I use all kinds of dffernent battings. Each has its pro and cons. Its good to learn about the differnent battings , so you can make a decision thats right for each project. I do tend to use quite a bit of Warm and Natural , but thats for table runners and wall hangings where I want a consistant thinness and more structure in the batting. I really don't like runners that I worry if a glass will be more tippsy because of the batting.
There are frequently times when I double bat a quilt , but I then mix cotton and poly . I get more warmth ( with out the cost of wool) and it will dry faster in the dryer. Plus a get that bit of extra loft, that enhances the quilting.
If you looked at my storage place for batting , you would be hard pressed to figure out if I really had a favorite.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I mostly use either Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 or Quilter's Dream poly. I don't have a JoAnn's anywhere close so I order my battings by the case from Hancocks of Paducah. I do occasionally use Quilter's Dream cotton in either the request or select weights. I don't like warm and natural at all.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

i use all of the above! it depends on the quilt- every quilt is different and i choose the batting for each one depending on the quilts *function*- who will use it=how it will be used- how it will be cared for-
for the kids quilts- that are used ALOT- in the car- forts, sleep overs ect---washed often- dragged around daily---i use dream green- or some poly batting- they hold up well great for utility quilts
for special bed quilts sometimes i use a hobbs heirloom cotton- sometimes DReam Wool, Dream orient, or Dream bamboo. the bamboo batting has held up well in a couple used often/washed often quilts-
i love the batts from the dream company- they are all very nice to work with-
my absolute favorite batt is Wool- but it is expensive- and not quite right for every quilt--but it does depend on the quilt- i don't use w&n often---but once in a while.