Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What long arm do you own? >

What long arm do you own?

What long arm do you own?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I had a Voyager 17 on a Proflex frame and hated it since it tired my wrists out too quickly. It was heavy and felt like I had to put some serious elbow grease in to moving it along - and I had the new Proflex carriage so that wasn't it. I was also frustrated that the stitch regulator would mean that I would have to cut a different sized piece out of my carriage..... I sold that machine and bought a Bailey 15 and a PCQ, robotic quilting carriage.

I can not tell you how I like it since I don't know how to use it and I haven't quilted a single thing - ever besides that first test piece I did with the Voyager.

I am considering selling it and just paying someone to do my quilting on the larger pieces I do. We shall see. I am going to try and find some time to work with it before I go and sell it. :(
If you decide to sell it, will you list it here on this board?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Great thread! Thinking about getting one and wasn't sure of where to start. Thank you all for your great advice and I will certainly keep in mind all of your revelations :D
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I have an HQ 16, and I love it! Bought it new. Do check out specials when looking to buy. I got my table for free ($600.00 value). My machine is problem free. Now I wish I could use it much more than I do................. :)
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM

You might want to join the homequiltingsystems group on Yahoo. They are a super great group. I have learned so many things from all of them.
One of the great things they have is a file section. In there is a comparison for many of the different long or mid arm systems. There are so many out there, that everyone that has a different one will tell you to buy that kind. You need to go to BIG shows that have many different systems displayed and play with all of them.
How much to do you have to spend on a frame and system?
Do you have any idea who you will be quilting for? Just yourself or do it for a business? How big of quilts will you be quilting? How much room do you have for a frame? Do you want computierized or not?
These are just a few questions you need to ask yourself. Please, join the group I mentioned. You do have to submit your name and some limited info for approval, but they do that to keep spammers out. Once you have joined. look into all the great info there is. There is even pictures of many different kinds of frames and systems. Be prepared to spend hours checking it all out.
The people on that group are super and they share as much as this group does.
Don't jump in and buy the first thing you see. Try as many out as possible.
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM

I have a Singer made by Design A Quilt a hundred years ago. I can only do all over patterns. I paid $2500.00 for her and a commercial binder about 20 years ago and it was a used machine then. I don't regret buying her because she has paid for herself 100 times over but it has become more like a factory job now and no fun. I won't get rid of her though because I have too many quilts to do. LOL
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Most of us love our machines so are quick to recommend one like we have. But you need to find the one that fits you. Go online and compare features, find the features you want then go to the dealers, friends or quilt shows that have machines and try out the actual feel of each of them. No one can tell you which is best, you need to "drive" each one and determine which one is best for you.

I quilt with a Gammill Classic 14 foot table. Bought it new at West Plains, MO, 10 years ago. No bells nor whistles but I love this machine. I have never had a problem with it. Before I bought this machine I tried the A-1 and Nolting because there were dealers within driving distance of me. The A-1 and Nolting just didn't feel as easy for me to drive as the Gammill. I have never regretted my decision.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 AM

No one has mentioned price on any machines...can someone give me a range for LA machines?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:59 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS and love it. I bought it at a quilt show a couple years ago so I don't have a local dealer but I can call the company and get awesome customer service. As the others on here mentioned, it takes time to learn but I've never regreted my decision.
Just be careful...once your quilting friend find out you have a long arm you get asked to finish a lot of quilts for them. If you're like me and work full time and love to also create and piece my own quilts, I tell them the turn around time will be at least a year or two....or maybe when I retire in 3-4 years! Ha Ha....that usually scares them away!
Whatever machine you decide to get, just relax and have fun with it. and practice, practice, practice!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by koko
No one has mentioned price on any machines...can someone give me a range for LA machines?
I'm not sure on the low end of pricing, but they do go up to around $25,000 on the high end. THEN you can add $12-18,000 for computerized software. The cost of the machines is just the beginning. You'll add patterns (pantographs), rulers, gadgets, classes and seminars - it's just like piecing the tops - there's so many things you'll want/need to add!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM

The Tin Lizzie I have been looking at here at a local dealer does not include the computer but does have the stitch regulator. Price is $6000 and that includes everything I would want...at least for now! Some quilt shops will let you rent time on their quilting machine after you pay for an hour instruction class.