Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What long arm do you own? >

What long arm do you own?

What long arm do you own?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by koko
No one has mentioned price on any machines...can someone give me a range for LA machines?
I know that the Innova is (this includes the ProFrame, 10 or 12 foot, your choice):

18" $7,899.00
22" $9,899.00
26" $10,999.00

You can see what they come with and the options available here: http://tiny.cc/08mgq
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM

I purchased a 26" Innova over a year ago and absolutely love it. Looked for a long time and new I was buying only once so went with the best. Tested all available at the shows and even many individuals will let you try there personal machines. I have heard many horror stories about no service from dealers and companies which is not an issue with the Innova. Support available anytime! Really anytime!!! The local LQS purchased a used Gammill for over 4,000 and are regretting it due to problems and no service.
Good luck to you! Not an easy decision.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Don't know if my Bernina 830 qualifies as a long arm but it works on a frame.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM

We researched & drove all over the Country & back trying out various machines. One thing not mentioned here at all, at Shows, a machine may not be set up "as" stable or solid as it would be in your home. Diff. flooring and such. We found that out at a Show in Dallas & then the International Quilt Festival in Houston. Some machines may appear to be full of vibration or appear to be too heavy, when in fact they aren't.

After a long 2 yr research and debate, we finally chose the A-1 Elite. Did not want to later discover that we should have bought bigger or better & have to go through the selling of machine to buy another more top of the line, or brand.

Ever machine fits somebody & their needs. You just have to try them and decide which you like the best. Or can afford. I see it as an investment. Check out re-sale value. They are kind of like buying a Chevy vs. a Mercedes in some ways. When trying out at a Show, ask the Dealer for names of people that have bought from them. Check it out. A good reproire with the Dealer is monumental, although we have never had to call them for anything. They set it up and gave us a couple of days of lessons in our home. We loved that! Have been off sailing on the machine ever since & that was 2 or 3 yrs ago.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by poultney
Don't know if my Bernina 830 qualifies as a long arm but it works on a frame.

No, it's not a long arm. I've got one too.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:21 PM

Innova 26 - I am really pleased with this machine.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18 LS. I love my Lizzie. I have had her about a year now. I miss working with her--been two months. She is dusty and needs major cleaning and oiling. I can't stand for long periods of time yet so I can't do anything with her yet. I have my own quilts to do plus people wanting things done. For the money, she is excellent. I don't have any robotics with it. I do recommend the machine highly. I bought it 100 mi from my home town but I get good service with it anyway.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM

I have a Gammill Premier Plus and love it. The only drawback is at times I wish I had purchased a larger throat machine, but I know it would also be heavier. If I had the money, I would buy the Statler or Intelliquilter to add to my machine. I don't do this as a business, just quilt for friends and family mostly, but I do love it. It is such a challenge for me.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM

I have an Inova 18". Love it!!! I bought the quilt show special and it had free classes included. Of course ave had the machine for 2 years and have been making lap quilts. But just this last weekend I went to Houston to take my class and get a bigger frame. I learned that I have been doing things the wrong way. In the class I also learned that I was doing every thing the hard way. Classes really do help. I like my machine even more than I did.

Linda
Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 AM

Say a prayer for your sister quilters who have to resort to a quilting frame with domestic machine on top. The frame was expensive enough (about the price that you seem to buy the long arms for).However, to buy a long arm is a substantial investment (about the cost of a medium sized car and I bet they are more expensive than you can imagine) so therefore, we need to go into business to ease the financial burden. I have practiced on about 6 different types and I liked the Statler, Gammil, and one called an Inspira that Pfaff and Husqvarna have their Grand Quilter on.