Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What long arm do you own? >

What long arm do you own?

What long arm do you own?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM

When I was looking to buy a LA I looked at every brand machine I could find on the internet. Then a LQS started selling TinLizzie. My DH and I went in and tested one and looked over what bells and whistles came with it. It was on sale for $6,000 including frame and stitch regulator. We sort of decided to keep looking. Then I found the Inova. I read every thing about the company and decided that was the one I wanted. The company makes machines for quilting factories and is family owned, 3rd generation now. There is always someone on the other end of a phone to help you with any problems. The company is in Texas. You can google Quiltfrog.com and find out about this machine and the
TinLizzie and Nolting. So I bought my machine sight unseen and hadn't test driven it. It is a wonderful machine. But remember that the more bells and whistles the more $$$ you need. The couching feature is pretty pricey. My new frame has the 4 bars and my husband is putting a motor on it so that all I have to do is push a button for the quilt to roll. That feature is pricey also. My husband likes to improve things on his own. When we first decided to buy he got in a hurry and bought a frame from another company and set it up and modified it several times and I still didn't like it. Hence the new frame. Buy the best frame for you and your machine. So there is lots to think of when you decide to buy. linda
Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 PM

I have an APQ Millenium and I have mixed emotions about it. I think that you should go to some quilt shows and test drive as many as you can. When you have it down to a few see if you can find someone near and at least talk to a real owner. If possible, maybe they will allow you to quilt a small quilt or test drive on some muslum. Also, figure out where you are going to put it and tape out an area at least 2 feet bigger on 3 sides. Lighting is another thing to think about before you buy. I wired up 2 4' florsents together and plugged these and my machine into a really good surge protector. I can turn my lights and machine on with one switch. Also, in So. Cal. we have a longarm quilt guild and some of our members have joined or at least visited before purchasing their longarms.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM

Also, take your age into consideration. If you are in your 70's you won't want (at least I didn't) want to spend lots of $$$$ and only be able to use it for a few years. I thought I would pass it on to my daughter who loves quilts but after her terrible illness she has sort of lost heart concering the quilting. She loves to hand piece and and the end joints of her fingers are turning sideways. She can't hold a needle any more so she says if she can't do it by hand she won't do it. I say that if machine is the only way you can make the quilts you love, it is much better than nothing. I have tried to tell her that it takes a lot of skill to really master machine quilting. But she is hard headed. I had planned for her to have my machine setup but with her attitude I don't know what will happen to it when I am gone. But for now, it is big enough for what I want to do for myself. But if you are young, then buy the biggest, best, most bells and whistles that you can afford. It will last you for a very long time. I was able to pay cash for my set up so that is a big plus. Of course it is a good thing I have a considerable stash cause I really don't have the spare $$$ for fabric. If I started right this minute I would still have enough left for the next generation and beyond. The first thing I ever sewed all by myself was a maternity top from a piece of fabric that my mom had forever. I remember seeing it in her quilt box when I was a little tad. It was pink floweredy with an almost purple back ground. U-G-L-y!!! linda
Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Does anybody have a Megaquilter? I not that thrilled with mine.I've had mine about 5 years and used it once. Husband is not to happy.Lots of money just sitting thee.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 AM

I still have an 18 year old college student in my future quilting room. (pout pout)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:29 PM

Keep in mind that a good, well made quilting machine and frame will keep the better part of your investment. The high end machines can be upgraded to new drives and boards (the computers) and will run for YEARS. You will not find a Gammil, A1, APQS (and a few others) that is worth nothing. There is always a resale value. This is not always the same with our home machines. I know that my 11 year old Bernina computerized machine is not worth anywhere near what it was when it was new, and 10 years from now it may be worth nothing!

For example: If you buy a $20,000 machine, use it for 10 years, it may still be worth $15,000. That means it cost you $500 per year to quilt your own quilts. The life expectancy of these machines is very long.

Just wanted to add some more food for thought.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM

I have a tin lizzy 18sl and have had it for 3 months still learning to play with it but I am sooooooooo happy to finally have a quilt machine. I checked around on several different brands/models and finally decided on this one because of the price and the service I received from the dealer in Albuquerque. the only recommendation I have is make sure you have room for the machine measure your room before purchasing the machine and go for it!!