Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 AM

I've been inspired by books. The more I read, the more I got hooked!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
You know how many times I've been asked that? Can't count the times. Everyone I meet and find out that I quilt they say "You quilt? Who quilts? Why? Isn't that for old ladies" I think at one time it was a fading art that has found its way back and I love the fact that in this busy world there are still those of us that choose out of the love of fabric and creativity to quilt. I started quilting out of hard times that left me broken. It stitched together my heart and warmed my soul after a bitter cold divorce. I beleive that every quilt I make is a snap shot in time of what was going on at the moment.
I love your story..and the quilts that come out of it, must be beautiful!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:33 AM

I came about it by accident. met an older lady (in her 80's) at a birthday party,she invited me to come to an open group on wednesdays during the day. I have been hooker ever since..it has been about 5 years now.
my only regret, is that i didn't start until a few months after my dad passed..and i had already taken his clothes to a mens shelter. I wish i had some of his things to make a quilt out of it..for all his grandkids. I did save his winter jacket,gloves and hat and cane. so in the winter, i put it all on and shovel the snow in the quiet of the evening..
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 AM

I had a friend who quilted along with her mother and sister. Then I saw an abstract picture of our flag in a catalog and thought "could I do that". That was my very first pieced quilted wall hanging (had done hand quilting as I love detail work). I still have it and I hang it out every national holidays. Today, I get lost in the process of quilting and forget all troubles. Along with the joy of quilting I found this site and now am "hooked" on another joy; all you wonderful quilters. Good thoughts.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 AM

I started quilting with my Mom and Aunt when very small,put it away when my children were small, took it up again as they got older. Went from traditional patch work to landscapes, hand piecing and quilting to machine and back again. When I need to expedite something it is by machine my fav is by hand.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 AM

I started sewing doll clothes and things for myself when I was in late grade school. Eventually I sewed for my 4 kids. The last thing I made for myself was a jacket. The pattern was wrong and at least two others could have fit into it with me. So I cut and pieced and made several quilted vests. When we retired that was my goal, to quilt. So much fun!!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:51 AM

About 28 years ago a friend enrolled me in a beginning quilt class and have been quilting ever since. I love it!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:05 AM

I bought an embroidery machine and I loved it so much that I started making memory quilts. Then I joined a group that made all kinds of quilts. I have not stopped since. Still with the group and now I have joined a strip club so every other month we make a new quilt. We went into a restaurant and told the guy at the counter we were strippers. Needless to say he didn't know what to say. It is a lot of fun.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM

I have loved quilts for as long as I can remember (which is when I was 2 yrs old. My grandmother & aunt made quilts & my mom & other aunts all had quilts on the beds, couches, etc. I always knew I would make quilts someday & started my stash, which was added to from scraps my aunts & grandmother sent me. Stored them in a trunk for years til I finally had time to quilt. I had 4 children in 5 yrs & needless to say didn't have time or energy to quilt til they were older. I would periodically pull out my stash & look through it & dream. I'm now retired & can quilt as much as I like, & I'm loving it!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 AM

My grandmothers and aunts quilted, but I have never had the interest when I was younger. About 15 years ago I bought a precut quilt kit and pieced & hand quilted the entire thing. I would get frustrated and put it away. It took me over 5 years to complete. It wasn't a hard quilt and I only outlined the applique (a little farmer boy) and each block. But, I didn't know what I was doing. I still have it. It's folded across the foot of the bed in my quest room. Did not quilt again until the past winter. It was so snowy and I decided that I was going to get on line and learn how to machine quilt, since my hand quilting left something to be desired. I was hooked. And I found this board that has taught me so much. I'm still learning and feel more confident with each quilt, but I know that I have a fountain of knowledge here with all the wonderful quilters and how they will share what they've learned. Thank you!