Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 AM

I was shopping with a friend for fabric to make my DH and I a new outfit for square dancing, I used to make my skirt and his shirt to match. It is fun for sq. dancing. Well any way my friend said to me if you bought one more choice of fabric you could make a quilt. I said how would I do that and my friend said" Oh.I will teach you" So there you have it. That was 20 yrs ago.I am still quilting.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:11 AM

I, too, have been sewing all my life. I used to sit under the treadle machine and work the foot while my grandfather stitched away. I made doll clothes first, then add the usual classes in grade school. In high school I took two years of sewing, eventually making a wool spring coat with a beautiful lining. Kept up with garment sewing for years as I liked doing things a bit differently. Well, about 8 years or so ago, I wanted to continue sewing, but garment making was just not working for me (I had gained some weight and nothing seemed to fit). I started quilting and have not looked back! I do make purses and wallets too, but love to quilt. I've only done about 8 quilts so far, and am into hand embroidery right now after having back surgery last fall and a car accident the end of May. Can't wait to get back into the quilting room.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 AM

When my girls were around the age of 10 and 13, I hand pieced 12 inch blocks together with the center block embroidered they first name initials. I then took a twin size blanket and used it as backing. No pictures. Several years later I took a class on the log cabin block through Stretch and Sew and made 5 tie quilts. It has just been recently that I have taken up quilting seriously and have 2 block of the months going plus a heart scrappy quilt and have started on a baby quilt. Now to finish at least one of these.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:53 AM

I started to needlepoint right after I graduated from college. My life had been so busy with working, going to class, and studies, I didn't have much time anything else. I felt like I always needed to be doing something. Then I saw a special on Rosie Grier, who was a football player for the LA Rams. He had taken up needlepoint because of his fear of flying. That peaked my interest, because at that point, I seemed to be afraid of everything. :)

It worked. It calmed me down, and I was happy with the creations I came up with. I was never without a project. I then started doing cross stitch. It was many years later that my friends at work were talking about quilting. My head must have been under a rock, because I had never heard of it. I was doing lots of crafts, but what was this quilting stuff?

I kept watching and then I began to love what they were doing. My friend of 30+ years eventually got me sold on it. I finally took the plunge five years ago when I retired. I took a class, became totally HOOKED, and purchased my 440 QE Edition Bernina.

I love the whole process, beginning to end. You meet great people, and it is fun to have a hobby you can share with so many people.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM

When my sister and would go to are grandma house to stay in the summer. She was making school dreases for , when we was about 10,12 we asked her if we could make one.So we have been sewing at a young age. She went in to making quilt,s i was still sewing dreases and makeing jackets. Iwent to a quilt club about 2 years ago i i love it
Old 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM

i am almost retirement age and have been sewing since i was 14. made all my clothes in high school and even some of my sister's. i also made my wedding gown and the dress my mother wore. when our 2 daughter's were born i made most of their clothes - including 5 prom gowns. now they are grown and out of the house. that is when i got interesed in quilting and as they say -- the rest is history.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Family tradition. My Grandmothers, Great-Grandmothers, Mother all quilted. The picture in my avatar is one of the quilts my Great-Grandmother and Grannie made. I remember going to the "quilting bees" with my Mother and Grannie. We children would play under the big quilt that was streched out on the quilting frame. I also remember the ladies talking about someone who had left and how bad their stitches were and how dirty thier hands were!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

I used to help my mom when I was 7/8 she had this frame that hung from the ceiling! I didn't really like to sew. when I was in school the teacher couldn't help me because I was left-handed
I started wanting to quilt about 10 yrs. ago. I worked at wal mart in the fabric dept. for the last 10 yrs. those girls i worked always said anyone can quilt. I collected alot of "quilt of the month" and about 3 yrs. ago one lady helped me cut my first quilt I think I have made about 8-10 quilt tops since and I've quilted about 6 quilts.I love it,but I am not very good at it yet!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

I've been sewing for years, and when I came across the show QUILT IN A DAY, I thought, Hey, That Looks fun & easy. Looked up Begiiner patterns online which led me to this site. I joined and the rest is History. And the fact I sew enjoy making my family cozy & warm.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM

My grandmothers both quilted and so does my Mom. I have helped her and have made a memory quilt for a lady that worked for me.

I am just starting to quilt on my own and am loving it. Love to see things take shape.