Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Laura1557
I've always loved the look of quilts and been fascinated by the traditions involved in the way they used to be made. So much work and so intricate to hand-sew but the finished product is so beautiful!

As a teen, I used to do a lot of crafts - cross-stitch, knitting, crochet, plastic canvas, and I thought it'd be neat to make a quilt, but I can't cut accurately with scissors, and really, I didn't know how to go about it. So it wound up on the back burner although I did make a small tied coverlet for my bed.

Recently, a friend posted pics of her hand-quilting on another online (non-quilting) forum and I give her the credit for reigniting my spark of quilting-related creativity. It wasn't long before I signed up for lessons (of which I've had two of the six already) and the more I do, the more I find I enjoy it. It's not a bad hobby to get sucked into!
Curiosity ! I have sewn since I was five so as I aged, this was the next step and I love it. Especially since there's no time limit.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM

My DGM would move everything out of her dining room, every winter. I was about 5 years old. She would sit there for hours and tell me stories as she stitched. Every week, 8 ladies would come and they would all talk and laugh, each one quilting. One day, one of the ladies ask me why I didn't sit with them. She handed me a needle and thread and showed me how to make the stitches. So that is what I did every winter until I was about 15. GM passed and so did the quilting.
MY DH and I decided to open a fine dining restaurant in a historical building. One of our Cooks did quilting, but she tied most of hers. She and I then attended a quilt show and took some seminars. That was it. The first 10 years I only did 3 quilts, but now that I am retired this past February, I have 7 tops that I need to quilt at this moment. My DGM with me now every time I enter my quilting room. I am more than "hooked on quilting".
Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Quiltingaddict,
That is a lovely quilt!
Sharon
Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM

I started quilting in 1988 and I made clothes, so I figured a quilt wouldn't be too hard.
I used a square made from cardboard and a pencil to trace around it; the square got smaller as I drew around it. I cut it all out with scissors and my DS still the quilt.
I hand quilted it, took me 3 years and he also helped with the quilting.I used 1/2" seam allowances.
Next year I learned about rotary cutters!! OMG what a difference! I've been quilting ever since. Now most of my quilts go to in-need children.
Sharon W.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 PM

I was already a sewer, making blinds and curtains in a factory, so my straight sewing was very straight indeed. My Grandma made me 2 cushions for my new lounge suite,and I asked her were she got them from, and she told me she made them. So I invited her to my place for a week, and she tought me the basics of rotatry cutting and seams etc, placement and all the fun that goes with it, I have just gone on from there and taught myself most other things that I have done, with the help of books.

That is one week of my life that I will never forget, me and my Grandma had the best week ever.

I have since gone on to teach my mum how to quilt, now we sew regularly together.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:29 PM

I have been a sewer from the age of 8. My first project was a clothes pin apron. I just dated myself-HA. Made most of my clothes after the age of 12. My wedding dress and most of my childrens play clothes. I started quilting when my husband was a college student and we didn't have any money. We embroidered the 50 state flowers on muslin and then I set it together. Took me several years later to get it finished. Made a few baby quilts for my children. Twenty years later started quilting again.
Made over 35 quilts in one year. Teach others to quilt and love it.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Ida

Originally Posted by SittingPretty
I used to sew a lot, but then the kids came and ran out of time. I had taught myself to crochet and did that since I was 15. Crocheted a lot, designs my own patterns and even had quite a few of them published. Then the arthritis started in my hands and they would just cramp up so bad when I tried to crochet. Saw a quilt at work. Every time I saw it I became more and more interested in making a quilt. Now, I'm hooked!
That sounds exactly like my story. Now I have tubs of yarn, but now need the fabric. Still haven't completed a quilt - working on it. I took a quilt class about 8 years ago, but husband too ill for me to get to each class.

Happy quilting!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:35 PM

I always sewn clothes & home dec, tried all crafts & needlework. 10 years ago a friend took me to a small quilt show. I wasn't interested in anything there but a landscape quilt. Everything else was made in floral and dull fabrics. My friend said i'd need to learn to quilt before i could make a landscape quilt so i decided to learn. Once i learned, i no longer had a desire to make a landscape quilt and i still don't like floral, etc., but i love the modern and contemporary stuff.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:46 PM

When I was a kid, my family went to my grandmother every New Year day. She always had a quilt on the loom. It was hidden under a sheet, we were not permitted to look at it. I then decided that one day I would make one. 40 years later I found some magazines, learn the lingo,(I'm French speaking). I had a big problem my dear husband thought I was going nuts,cutting pieces of fabric into small squares and sewing them back together. Till the day we went to an exhibition. Left me there by myself. He came back before due time saw a quilt for sale that he loved,inquired about the price ( $6,000.) I never had a problem with DH quilting,buying stuff. He was the one bragging about my quilting
Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 PM

I saw an commercial on tv for a book by Singer about quilting and I thought I can do that and ordered the book. I'm still learning with every quilt I do. I have always loved to sew. I was fascinated by some pillowcases my grandmother crocheted and that sparked my interest in sewing.