Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to start quilting? >

What made you decide to start quilting?

What made you decide to start quilting?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:48 AM

My mother and grandmother taught me how to sew and later I took up cross stitch.

Then about 5 years ago, I wanted to read 'The Little House' books again by Laura Ingalls Wilder (I've not read them in years)... in the book, their mother was sewing blocks together.

Well, I wanted to know what she was sewing and bought a book about Pioneers and their quilts... I was hooked and bought all the stuff to embark on my own quilting obsession.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM

I had always made my kids clothes until one day my son came home and said "Mom, can I have a pair of pants that say Lee on them?"..go figure...so I decided that it was time for them to wear something besides always homemade clothes...but what would I do...hummm....had seen quilts I loved...so when it was time for me to buy a new sewing machine I went to the LQS and told her I would buy the machine if she would teach me to quilt...boy did I get suckered...I bought the machine...she sold me Quilters Almanac book...I took one class..because I was a working single mom and didn't have time to go to classes...so I taught myself mostly...I do take classes sometimes now that I am no longer working and raising kids...I love it...that was oh about 10 years ago and sew many quilts...each one is a learning lesson....but still love it.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM

When I was young, my mother would tell me I am not related to Betsy Ross because she couldn't sew well and didn't have the time to learn so she never encouraged me. I also have fumble fingers and a habit of quitting if something is not perfect the very first try. Three strikes against quilting for sure but I have always had a healthy respect for pioneers and how hard their lives were (I read Little House too). Despite this they made "silk purses from sow's ears" in their quilts. I also love color and texture.

As an adult I learned that I could not let impatience and imperfection stop me or else I would just have to quit life. I also believe that women are divinely ordained to be creative and since I could not make children I would make other things. So I signed up for a quilting class. Then another. I love it but am resigned to be mediocre. Maybe that is why I don't have kids??!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Necessity. I had six kids, no money and a lot of clothes to use when they were done passing down. Made great bed covers. Now I do it for fun.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM

I have always been 'crafty', experimenting with crocheting, leather tooling, macrame and decoupage (Boy, does that date me as a hippie girl). I had long admired quilts but wasn't much of a seamstress. However when my only daughter went off to law school I missed her so much, the empty-nest syndrome compelled me to take a beginning quilting class at the local adult ed ctr. That was in 1989 and the beginning of a new and wonderful time of my life. I have learned so much and a lot of it has not been from taking classes but from other quilters who so generously share of themselves and their experience. Thank you all for that!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 AM

I became interested in quilting when I took a non-credit leisure class through the local community college to give me something to do while my then husband was in graduate school. By the time I completed my quilt top (12 weeks later), I was hooked. That was 38 years ago. Although I've taken some breaks over the years to do other crafts, I've always returned to quilting.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Oh about 25 yrs ago stopped at the LQS and saw a sampler quilt and thought I can do that (I have always been a sewer and silly me thought this would be the same thing) Well that quilt, which I still have and use, was the beginning of my addiction: fabric, quilting, magazines, quilt books, etc.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM

My DIL, who is a master-award winning art quilter, said when I said I thought maybe I could make a quilt--[I was primarily a sewer who like made my hubby and I western shirts] said " you can't make a quilt"---so----I made a king sized log cabin quilt first time out---wish I had believed her cause now I'm hooked and not doing hardly any 'sewing' any more---ha ha ha!!!!---love it!!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM

My DIL, who is a master-award winning art quilter, said when I said I thought maybe I could make a quilt--[I was primarily a sewer who like made my hubby and I western shirts] said " you can't make a quilt"---so----I made a king sized log cabin quilt first time out---wish I had believed her cause now I'm hooked and not doing hardly any 'sewing' any more---ha ha ha!!!!---love it!!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Hmmm---now how did I send that twice???---oh well----