Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-04-2010, 05:04 AM

Thank you, it's nice to know right from the companies.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 AM

A very interesting discussion and thank you favorite fabrics for putting this info out here I'm afraid some of our favorite shops will be forced out of business and it is now very difficult to get a young person started in quilting as they cannot afford it but I also have a large stash only need batts and backing
Old 12-04-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Yip -- that's what they were talking about on the FoxBusiness channel. I suggested to DH that we take the guest room and start stashing LOADS of fabric in there....fill the room up. I got "that" look from him .....guess that won't happen!!!
How funny is that I suggested the same thing and got "THE STINK EYE". Not a good thing.
I also heard this on Fox Business News. It seems commities will go up, and food falls in that line. I've seem soom prices go up as much as .25 cents at a time. I frequently shop food sales 10 for 10 dollars or buy one get half off with second one. I try to keep my second pantry full and rotate them with my first pantry. I try to keep my freezer full also. It helps when the money is less because of college fees. I have one graduating the 11th of this month, one in her second yr. Still one more to go.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 AM

It is sad that fabric costs are going up, but when I see JoAnn's or my local quilt shop have good sales, especially when they want to get rid of their stock to make room for new stock, I'm first in line. A couple of months ago I got a 30% discount on fabric at my quilt shop and I thought it was a bargain.

My stash won't last me in the long term, but I'd give myself a good couple of years at least! :-) Of course I'm always on the lookout for bargains!! I confess, I am a stashaholic!!!! I'm sorry, but there is no 12 step program for my problem!!

June in Ohio :-D
Old 12-04-2010, 05:35 AM
JJs
Banned

the thing to keep in mind..
American families who want 3000 sq foot homes, a big ole pickemup truck, an suv, a speedboat, a camper, a vacation cottage, a big vacation to Disney, all the best clothes and all the new toys for the kiddies....
And they demand HIGH paying jobs to pay for it on time....

house poor, vehicle poor, toy poor, when one or both gets laid off the whole house of cards comes tumbling down...
and they'll stay on unemployment rather than take a min wage job to 'get by' until things pick up...

my dh got laid off and I worked temp jobs and he painted houses just to pay the bills....

We drive by construction sites on the highways and no young people on the crews - it's not a job they want - too much work....

this is what happens with generations of gimme gimme I deserve and "I won't do a job I hate"..
manufacturers are NOT philanthropist - they are in business for PROFIT... when workers DEMAND the profit the manufacturer says, 'say what??'...
A welfare state of any kind is doomed to failure - this 'spreading the wealth around' ain't gonna work - the ones with the wealth are leaving this country in droves....
Face it, they do NOT owe anybody anything, nobody's hand is free to stick in somebody else's pocket...

it's too early in the am - gotta get another coffee LOL
Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by joan_quilts
I think we should produce our own products in America. I don't know why fabric has to come from China. With all the bad press of China products, you would think we could produce enough cotton crops for our country. I don't like the fact the China as put lead in toys, bad chemicals in tooth paste, etc. JMO
We do produce cotton here in the south USA. There was
a bumper crop this year. Any time a price goes up on an article it never comes down. I am thinking of coffee. I know it is imported but I dont think they have a failing crop every year.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:58 AM

We have had "highs" on several different items in the past few years. Yes, it has hurt it but we have survived. If anyone remembers during WWII we had to use Ration Stamps to acquire many items. If we ran out, we substituted or did without. My trek for fabric had been and will be to a Salvation Army store. I've bought bundles of beautiful fabric. But if there are no bundles, I go through clothing and find new or nearly new women's blouses, men's shirts, dresses and skirts. It is surpriseing what you can find there. It may not be enough fabric for a whole quilt, but mixed with something else some surprises can happen. So here's my route: turn left, turn right, then turn left again then right again until the sign appears then turn left into the parking lot and park if you can find an open spot. Want to join me one day?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM

My son has to buy commodities for his business in China. He recently spent two weeks there for an international show and to visit factories and his contacts. If you saw the "factories", you would understand why their costs are so low. Their manufacturing abilities are in many cases, years behind us and the people work for peanuts. There are so many people there that need jobs, that they are willing to work for very little. Their living conditions which are normal to them, would be the poverty level here. They have blocks of buildings the size of our garages that are their businesses.

Since his trip, I have a much better understanding how the economy works concerning Chinese imports. Everybody tries to survive any way they can.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 AM

You know, you really have the right idea about the employment and "give it to me" attitude.

If all the "big wigs" are leaving the country, why don't they take more of the upper level "scum" with them? Then perhaps we could have out good old USA back.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 AM

Amen to that Joan. We grew cotton for years, we can do it again. No, we can't produce the finished product as cheaply as China but isn't our economy more important, jobs, etc? I'd like to see just one company set up shop here for a change instead of shipping our jobs out.

Remember when Wal-Mart used to have the large trucks with "American Made" printed on the side? Ah for the good old days.