Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Just tell DH that you will be able to open a "store" of sorts and sell to the rest of us here on the board. You would make some $$ and we would save some. I LIKE THAT IDEA!

uote=amandasgramma]Yip -- that's what they were talking about on the FoxBusiness channel. I suggested to DH that we take the guest room and start stashing LOADS of fabric in there....fill the room up. I got "that" look from him .....guess that won't happen!!![/quote]
Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa's Stitching Post
Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
That's certainly true... but I would love to know how much more the fabric would have to cost, to be USA-made instead of China-made.
I believe it could be made right here and not cost one penny more, probably less. We have the crop production, the gins, the manufacturing capability with labor force, the marketing, transportation and distribution. We would have to forfeit the union middle-man profit and unreasonable EPA regulations.

The greatest obstruction for the American worker is fighting to take away the huge profits from the globalist that are working to turn us into a third world country. American mega-corporations are moving manufacturing from China to other ports for cheaper labor. China is becoming too profit greedy.

Think about this - if we did not ship fibers halfway around the world and the products back to us to buy, don't you think it would less? I realize that some international freight companies would have to find other commodities to make money. Is that really our consumer problem? We need to get real, and help our legislators understand that we need our resources, and what's left will happily be shared.
I have thought the exact same thing! How can it possibly be cheaper (with the high price of oil) for American fabric manufacturers to have their goods woven & printed overseas--and then shipped all the way over here?
It is still cheaper to ship overseas than to pay the taxes, wages and benefits, higher machine and utility costs in the US. I am not defending the practice, just stating the facts.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
The things happening to our country the last 8-10 years is shameful. It also doesnt help our economy with a war going on either....BinLaden really did more to us than just that awful day... 9-11.
You are so right. We pretty much lost our family business because of that day and we are nowhere near NY.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 AM

That's certainly true... but I would love to know how much more the fabric would have to cost, to be USA-made instead of China-made.
I believe it could be made right here and not cost one penny more, probably less. We have the crop production, the gins, the manufacturing capability with labor force, the marketing, transportation and distribution. We would have to forfeit the union middle-man profit and unreasonable EPA regulations.

The greatest obstruction for the American worker is fighting to take away the huge profits from the globalist that are working to turn us into a third world country. American mega-corporations are moving manufacturing from China to other ports for cheaper labor. China is becoming too profit greedy.

Think about this - if we did not ship fibers halfway around the world and the products back to us to buy, don't you think it would less? I realize that some international freight companies would have to find other commodities to make money. Is that really our consumer problem? We need to get real, and help our legislators understand that we need our resources, and what's left will happily be shared.
Manufacturers moved production overseas to keep costs low because we as consumers demand it, just as everyone on this thread is doing. It became too expensive to manufacture here when we had to pay hourly wages and other costs that were way above the rate in less developed countries. We are complaining about the very action that kept prices low as long as they were. If we hadn't moved production off-shore, the current price levels would have occurred long ago in the US. We can't say we want to produce here AND we want low prices unless people who work in manufacturing are willing to take a huge pay cut, utility prices are slashed, taxes are reduced, etc.

We can't blame the Chinese or the government for this, only ourselves, for expecting high wages in our pay but low prices for what we purchase.

Sorry, off my soapbox now.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Originally Posted by Lisa's Stitching Post

I have thought the exact same thing! How can it possibly be cheaper (with the high price of oil) for American fabric manufacturers to have their goods woven & printed overseas--and then shipped all the way over here?
It is still cheaper to ship overseas than to pay the taxes, wages and benefits, higher machine and utility costs in the US. I am not defending the practice, just stating the facts.
You are totally right, Irish. The money that previously went to our tax revenue, wages and benefits - has now been turned into profit for the large corporations - by selling to us. Please don't misinterpret my point; I am not anti-profit. Way back when companies discovered the cheaper labor, they found high profits. The problem arose as more and more companies took advantage of it - our own consumer base was broken by loss of jobs by the outsourcing. They were successful to get what they wanted, but sacrificed our American economy in the process.

With the growth of our government standing about 25% increase in the last two years, regulations are doing more harm than good. The American worker is the newest commodity - and we're being stripped bare one layer at the time. As soon as we all are willing to work for any amount to get a job - we will live within our own country, unable to buy what we make. That scenario should not exist.

I do not recommend paying many millions to even another profit center like unions to fix the problem. American corporations need to understand that the worker is not the enemy - we are the asset. When we are paid fairly for the job we do, we spend that money in the economy, and profit is sure and steady.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM

I will continue to haunt the used clothing places looking for cotton fabrics that can be cleaned, pressed and ironed for use in quilt tops. It works for me!
Old 12-04-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Manufacturers moved production overseas to keep costs low because we as consumers demand it, just as everyone on this thread is doing. It became too expensive to manufacture here when we had to pay hourly wages and other costs that were way above the rate in less developed countries. We are complaining about the very action that kept prices low as long as they were. If we hadn't moved production off-shore, the current price levels would have occurred long ago in the US. We can't say we want to produce here AND we want low prices unless people who work in manufacturing are willing to take a huge pay cut, utility prices are slashed, taxes are reduced, etc.

We can't blame the Chinese or the government for this, only ourselves, for expecting high wages in our pay but low prices for what we purchase.

Sorry, off my soapbox now.
I wholeheartedly agree with this and very troubled by it.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM

The Marcus company expects cotton prices to decrease - does this mean they will decrease the cost of fabric accordingly? Doubt it very much! Once they know folks will buy at the new, higher price, it is not likely they will go back to the old pricing. Sorry to sound cynical but that's the way it usually works.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM

I remember looking for the "Made in the USA" tag.I haven't seen one in years. We can all tell Washington why there are no jobs. It's not Rocket Science.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I live in an area where there is a lot of cotton - what I've heard is that other crops are just paying better right now to grow, so not as many people are growing it. This is in part because of the demand (and corresponding higher price) for crops that can be used to produce ethanol for "greener" fuels.
Around here almost all the farmers are growing more and more corn...because it is at a very high price right now. You should see the piles and piles of corn that they have to put on the ground because the elevators have no more room to take it. They are paying high prices for corn, so none of the farmers are storing it and having to wait for a fair price. I live close to the county fairgrounds, and last year there were about 5 big piles of corn sitting on the ground...this year there is close to 20 or more. We have had SO many ethanol plants pop up over that past few years....it scares me. I am not on board with all the ethanol "push", for several reasons, and don't buy it at the pump. I do believe that all the corn being grown for ethanol has limited the corn being grown for food products, and that boils down to higher food prices for the consumer. JMO