Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I live in what was cotton country. In the last fifteen years the cotton fields have become subdivisions. They are paving part of my farm as we speak to build a tollroad. No course. Too many people and they take your property imminent domain.
That is so, so sad. :(
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I think that everything comes from China because it's cheaper to produce it over there. Fewer labor costs, and less environmental controls.

We have been trained to shop by price first and foremost, for years, and this is one of the consequences.

From what I've been told by folks in the textile industry, all the cotton combing and weaving equipment left our shores over a decade ago. Even if we *wanted* to bring it back... that would take quite some time. And we are an impatient society.
Well. my home town of Nottingham, England has managed to buy back some of its original Lever's lace machines. It's high time we started doing the same over here with the cotton equipment. This whole situation is absolutely crazy and this over reliance on China is just coming back to bite us in the posterior.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 PM

That's certainly true... but I would love to know how much more the fabric would have to cost, to be USA-made instead of China-made.
I believe it could be made right here and not cost one penny more, probably less. We have the crop production, the gins, the manufacturing capability with labor force, the marketing, transportation and distribution. We would have to forfeit the union middle-man profit and unreasonable EPA regulations.

The greatest obstruction for the American worker is fighting to take away the huge profits from the globalist that are working to turn us into a third world country. American mega-corporations are moving manufacturing from China to other ports for cheaper labor. China is becoming too profit greedy.

Think about this - if we did not ship fibers halfway around the world and the products back to us to buy, don't you think it would less? I realize that some international freight companies would have to find other commodities to make money. Is that really our consumer problem? We need to get real, and help our legislators understand that we need our resources, and what's left will happily be shared.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:11 PM

I remember a time when most people had a job that wanted one. I could buy American products to fit my budget at any level. It was always available to buy international lace, wine, diamonds, silk, crystal, whatever - if I could afford the higher price. It should still be that way.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
That's certainly true... but I would love to know how much more the fabric would have to cost, to be USA-made instead of China-made.
I believe it could be made right here and not cost one penny more, probably less. We have the crop production, the gins, the manufacturing capability with labor force, the marketing, transportation and distribution. We would have to forfeit the union middle-man profit and unreasonable EPA regulations.

The greatest obstruction for the American worker is fighting to take away the huge profits from the globalist that are working to turn us into a third world country. American mega-corporations are moving manufacturing from China to other ports for cheaper labor. China is becoming too profit greedy.

Think about this - if we did not ship fibers halfway around the world and the products back to us to buy, don't you think it would less? I realize that some international freight companies would have to find other commodities to make money. Is that really our consumer problem? We need to get real, and help our legislators understand that we need our resources, and what's left will happily be shared.
I have thought the exact same thing! How can it possibly be cheaper (with the high price of oil) for American fabric manufacturers to have their goods woven & printed overseas--and then shipped all the way over here?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Yip -- that's what they were talking about on the FoxBusiness channel. I suggested to DH that we take the guest room and start stashing LOADS of fabric in there....fill the room up. I got "that" look from him .....guess that won't happen!!!
How funny is that I suggested the same thing and got "THE STINK EYE". Not a good thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 AM

I think the reason we are seeing a rise in prices is because of the minium wage. Of course we all want more money, but it's hurting the economy here. That's why factories closed here in America, they can get it done cheaper in China etc.
A lot of our people don't want to work hard or at a lot of work that's available here. Who wants to pick cotton or dig ditches, for instance?
Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 AM

Fabric prices don't bother me too much. I guess that I'm a quilter like my Grandma taught me to be. My Grandma (b.1911 d. 2001) made beautiful quilts. Many of my fabrics come from yard sales, thrift stores, & old clothes, much like my Grandma's did. I'm not much of an artsy quilter, I like utility. Usually the only fabric I buy at the store is muslin.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
this is the result of making ourselves dependent on other countries for products that we always produced here. i wonder if buying from china at high costs really is a savings when it put so many people here out of work and now they have to collect unemployment, go on welfare, need food stamps and health care?
it seems that what we saved in products we pay in taxes to support those programs for the needy. something to think about when we buy from china and turn our backs on people who need help feeding their families.
Agreed! I hate that we send so much work overseas and don't have enough jobs for own people! I'd pay more to simply keep the jobs here - and thus eventually costs lower all the way around.

Debbie in Austin
Old 12-04-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by gale
thanks for the info! Moda might be holding their prices steady but from what I've seen and read, the shops are still charging higher prices for Moda fabrics.
I know - they're tacking on more profit that they're pocketing rather than charging the lower prices for Moda! Isn't that something!

Just my opinion, of course :)