Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What response are you really looking for? >

What response are you really looking for?

What response are you really looking for?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 PM

I think it depends on the person. They may really want reassurance its ok so they can leave it. They may want to know a fix and some may want to know what to do next time. Sometimes its hard to tell by what they say when they post. Sometimes its just sharing with people who can understand.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:17 PM

I would want a honest response and some practical suggestions to help remedy the situation.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM

I am thankful for any and all ideas, suggestions, kudos, creative criticism, ideas to improve or any information anyone wants to share.

If I have problem, and post it to the universe, then I just want all the "help fix it" ideas I can get.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM

I prefer honesty, I don't need someone to sugar coat anything. I value honesty in all forms, we are not perfect and for me, I learn far more from honest feedback than I do from politeness. Honesty allows me to grow as a person as well as a quilter, I still have much to learn on all fronts!! I too see lots of passive aggressive responses and I do not understand why one needs to be that way to a fellow quilter. I really do appreciate all the feedback and help I get here!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm, every time I post about an obvious mistake, or when asked if the colors are good and I say no, they aren't to me, or which border print to use and I say none you have selected looks right to me, I get nasty pms from others saying how I shouldn't say that. Here is a quote from one PM I received:
If your honest opinion is negative then you shouldn't give it.
LOL. I just put those members on my ignore list. So if you have thin forum skin don't post your honest answer to any poster that ask for it.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Oh dear. Onebyone I am sorry that some people do not take kindly to honest criticism. I am also sorry that some people feel they have to criticise your honest opinion. At least they did it in a PM instead of starting a major confrontation on a post. I suppose there is one solution--if you don't have something nice or constructive to say, keep you hands off the keyboard. But then the original poster might continue on a totally ugly route instead of rethinking her choices because of your honest opinion. Rock and a hard place.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Hmmm, every time I post about an obvious mistake, or when asked if the colors are good and I say no, they aren't to me, or which border print to use and I say none you have selected looks right to me, I get nasty pms from others saying how I shouldn't say that. Here is a quote from one PM I received: LOL. I just put those members on my ignore list. So if you have thin forum skin don't post your honest answer to any poster that ask for it.
What a shame. If I just want kudos, I ask a non-quilting friend. They usually don't know the difference & will tell me how beautiful my work is even if it's uneven, wavy or lacks complementary colors. My experience here is that people are kind but honest. I wouldn't want posters telling someone their quilt is a piece of garbage, but I haven't seen that anyways. Usually posters give specific advice & guidance, and then only when asked (e.g., not when someone posts a pic announcing they finished the quilt). I hope that can continue in spite of a few people taking constructive advice the wrong way.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:22 PM

I don't respond to those kinds of requests much anymore. Got tired of putting my flame-resistant suit on. I used to think if a person asked a question, they wanted help or a genuine answer, but all too often, someone else would jump in and get their panties in a wad because they misinterpreted my answer the wrong way, or didn't read the question correctly, or had to tell me that I'm wrong, etc. For the most part, I PM people instead and haven't had an issue since.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 PM

"It wasn’t brutal or destructive. Creative people are on the whole fragile beings, and letting each other down gently and quietly was the unwritten rule. Sometimes just a blank look or a scratched head was enough to see a candidate quietly pulled down and consigned to the bin."

this quotation is from an article titled "a short lesson on perspective" written by an ad exec linds redding. if we are careful with the other, we can say what needs to be said. and we - the receivers - must always remember that we are here to listen.

pee ess: the article is a wonderful read

aileen
Old 09-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

When I post a question like that I want to know what people think. I will still make up my own mind but I don't want to be patted on the head and told what a galloping horseman will or will not see.

As for answering those posts, IF I have an opinion, and I believe that the OP is interested in my opinion, I will post it. Now I am careful how I phrase the answer because I do not want to offend. I also try to give reasons for my opinion.