Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size scraps do you save? >

What size scraps do you save?

What size scraps do you save?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Well, you may have seen the tiny piece quilts my DH makes with 5/8" squares (I posted on the QB), so needless to say, anything that gets thrown out here looks like lint!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ts-t79481.html

Also my tiny string quilts http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ts-t74944.html

I have to tell you a funny story. For many years we got big garbage bags of scraps (good size scraps) from 3 other quilters here in VT who had shops or businesses. We had quilts on consignment at a fourth shop and were showing them the tiny piece quilts. The owner said, oh I will save my scraps for you. This went on for several visits, "I am going to save my scraps for you."

Finally one time she says, "Oh, I have a bag of scraps for you" and comes out with a small (sandwich size) ziploc bag with tiny scraps in it. We both smiled and said "Thank you!" but when we got out to the car we couldn't stop laughing.

Last edited by ptquilts; 05-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks to all who replied to this Thread - it's a lot of very useful and practical information as to what to do with all those little pieces of fabric. Gives me some good ideas for future projects.

Thanks again and Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there!

Jackie
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 AM

I collect scraps and make doll quilts for a local quilt shop that sponsors a Christmas party every year for orphaned children. The children get doll quilts, stockings filled with goodies including coloring books, crayons etc. I feel this is a very worth while cause and I just cleaned out my craft closet and found a large bag of fabric that I don't know what I was thinking when I purchased it as it is too thin to make a baby quilt but some little girl will love a doll quilt from it. Last year I made three of them including a crazy quilt and practiced fancy stitches on them. Some of the fabric was part of panels and other just scrap. This year I am going to do rag quilts and string quilts from what I have left over in scraps.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:42 AM

After reading all the awesome ideas in this thread now I can't even throw tiny slivers away!! I need help - seriously!! Lol
Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM

Our quilting group saves everything. 2 inch squares, if they can be cut....or if it's something someone doesn't want, it's put in a bag. When the bag is full of unuseable scraps, batting, etc, it's made into doggie beds and donated to the animal shelter.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:12 PM

All of the above. I save every snippet to make beds for injured animals at the vet's.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:09 PM

None unless they are at least fat quarter size.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

I save almost everything. 2" 2.5" 3" 3.5" etc up to 5". I also save strips and have boxes of these. I save odd sizes to use in scrappy or crazy quilts. I hate to throw anything out. I think there must be something wrong with me.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM

I use them all! I love scrappy quilts. String Quilts, Charm Quilts, Crazy Quilts, Four Patches etc. I also teach second grade and use scraps for various projects at school. Anyone who wants to get rid of scraps.....Please....."throw them" my way! They will be loved, appreciated, used and kept out of the landfill!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM

I'm trying to do Bonnie Hunter's scrap saving method but not getting very far. With that not much gets tossed.