Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of flooring for new studio

cma

Cool What type of flooring for new studio

Hi everyone!
    I am so very fortunate to be planning a new home with a 12X29 sewing/longarm quilt room. My question is:
    Should the flooring be wood or will I need carpeting to limit vibration? or is there no vibration?
    HELP!!!
    What are your thoughts? Need to know soon for cost break downs.
    Appreciate anyone's input-Penny*

We just added a 24x24 room onto our house for a new sewing/quilting room - I have a long arm, too and decided to go with laminate flooring. You probably want to go with no less than 10-12 cm thickness. We bought the laminate from Lumber Liquidators and my husband is installing the floor.

Laminate - love it.

Power Poster
    Wood or laminate makes for easy thread clean-up but can get marked up by furniture and rolling chairs. Carpet has to be vacuum but keeps the threads from migrating out of the sewing room. Will your room be cement slab construction? You might need an insulation layer under the laminate. You will need to evaluate your style to see what would work best for you and your climate.

yel
    Blog Entries
    i agree ..the carpet is a pain

Blog Entries
    i love laminate floors for my sewing room.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I have my midarm and frame sitting on a concrete floor. Works well for me, but I wear cork-soled shoes in the house (which provide cushioning for my feet and legs).

My sewing room has carpet- our house is on foundation, we have one bedroom without wall-to-wall carpet and it gets very cold compared to the other rooms. I can't sew with gloves on and not willing to pay the increase in heating costs. I don't have pets so vacuuming isn't that big of a deal.

I have carpeting in my sewing room - it is converted from a bedroom. If I ever replace the carpet I would get a laminate floor - but then with so many cats in the house I would have to sweep more often!

I love having laminate floors in my quilting room. So easy to keep threads and pins picked up and it makes a beautiful backdrop for photos too!

Love the laminate in my quilting area..... so easy to sweep up and no needles/pins hidden in carpet.

I would do wood or vinyl, not carpet. It's much easier to clean, although it's also much easier to see that it's not clean. We did bamboo, and apparently got a softer bamboo - it dents easily. But bamboo is a good choice, too.

I ripped out carpet for the hardwood floors underneath! So much nicer and easier to zip thru with the swiffer every couple days....would never have carpet again!

I hate the dust problems that come with hard floors, especially in a sewing room. I also like the cushion of carpeting under my feet when sewing. I stand a lot when cutting, using my LA and ironing and know my legs would ache after standing in one place on a hard surface. Just my opinion...
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

My DSM is located in my dining room, and there is a carpet under the table. Threads migrate all over the house from the carpet! Thread hitchhikes on my shoes...

Laminate flooring or a ceramic tile would work well. The tile will not scuff or get marked up by rolling furniture. You can get tile that is 12+" square, so can set the frame for the long arm level.

I would also suggest the insulation and radiant heat if you're on a slab. If your budget won't allow radiant heat in the entire room, then put it where you will situate your DSM, cutting table and where your long arm will be. Warm feet make the sewing experience so much more pleasant!

You could buy several of the 'garage pads' and stand on them when cutting. Thats what I have around my longarm - it works well.

When I got my sewing studio (a portable building) it had plywood flooring. I covered that with the mid-grade stick on tiles and have been very happy with it.

Good thing about carpet - if you drop your bobbin case it is less likely to get damaged.
    Problem with carpet - pins and needles and tiny screws that are dropped often get lost, or embedded in the carpet.

Blog Entries
    I have laminate and love it. It does not scratch like wood. I put a medium size room rug at the door to catch the threads as I leave. The rug really does a good job and the vacumn only has to come inside the door about 4 ft.

Blog Entries
    Laminate here. Even put it in myself. We used quiet walk under it to reduce noise. Love it to clean up. Just sweep and done.
    sew1

Blog Entries
    I have a laminate floor in my quilt studio and absolutely love it.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

cma
    Thankyou everyone for your quick responses. I really appreciate the input. The foundation will be wood framing. Love the idea about radiant heat! Think laminate floor is the way to go. And I can always put a section of carpet down if necessary. The rubber mat by the yard at Lowe's is a great idea too for in front of long arm.
    Getting sew excited!

We have a timber frame and the upstairs "floor" is the tongue and grove ceiling. I was using a bedroom as a sewing room and the pins, needles and everything else kept getting caught in the "groves". The new sewing room has a laminate over the tongue and grove. I LOVE IT!! I even have my longarm up there now!

Easy to clean, flat and smooth!! That left one small problem however - the foot pedal from the domestic sewing machine kept sliding - so what I did was purchase a cheap rubber backed carpet "kitchen mats" (one of those half circle ones that you would see in front of a sink) - no more slipping.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Ahh, what a wonderful "problem" to have! I use the kitchen table for my sewing/quilting so it's laminate flooring....
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by cma View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I am so very fortunate to be planning a new home with a 12X29 sewing/longarm quilt room. My question is:
    Should the flooring be wood or will I need carpeting to limit vibration? or is there no vibration?
    HELP!!!
    What are your thoughts? Need to know soon for cost break downs.
    Appreciate anyone's input-Penny*
    No way would I ever put carpet in a sewing room. Nope, nope, nope.

If you want softer and quieter, check out cork flooring. I don't know how it would hold up to wearing a path between stations, but I'd sure check in to it.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast